Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

So, lets say you're bored, and want to fly. How do you choose your destination?

I look for updated routes from my favourite airline and fly the route depending on how real I want the experience. I.e. I love Emirates and so have joined Emirates Virtual as a virtual pilot. I also love PMDG's 777 and 747 so any new route that's introduced by Emirates that flies a 777 or 380 in real life will get flown. I substitute the 380 with pmdg's 747-400ER and fly away :-)

Cheers,

Marz

• Upvote 1

Mario Lobo

P3D v:4.5| Win 10 2004 x64 pro | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E | i9-9900KS@ 5.1Ghz(OC) | Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal (16x2)32G Kit DDR4 3200Mhz | 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC| 1x Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB | Samsung 970 PRO 1TB | 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2TB| Tt ToughpowerXT 875W | CoolerMaster HAF X Tower

I base it on the time I have to fly, then whether I have been to the airport before in the sim.

For example: I wanted to fly the the PMDG 747 but not do long hauls due to time constraints in the real world. I remember seeing Japanese routes that used to use the 747 on 2 hours or less. I looked up ANA routes using the 777 and just flew those routes and enjoyed the new area of the world.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

My virtual airline provides a map showing all the airports they serve and which I've yet to visit. I simply pick one I've never been to before :)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I look in the avsim screenshots forum and when I see fun screenshots, I remake the flight mentionned.

One hope is posting the 'pln' with the screenshots on avsim.

Mark

I usually have phases with the aircraft I own. Currently, it's the FSL A320. So, I load up FR24, take a look at a general region I'd like to fly in and then set the filters to show me only A320s flying to/from airports within that region.

Once I find a flight that is around the time I'd like to spend in the sim, I'm off to the repaint sites and PFPX to plan the flight.

I have created a Google map, with all my payware airports marked with their ICAO and name. It has worked an absolute treat over the years. Whenever I am unsure where I want to fly, I open Google Earth map and I have all my destinations laid out in front of me. I can also use the Google measuring tool and decide the duration of a flight from one airport to another! :smile:

• Upvote 2

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Pick a rough time you want to spend being airborne and multiply that by estimated average cruise speed, open LittleNavMap, pick a departure airport, display a range ring around it and then pick a destination that is just about that flight distance away. If that yields multiple interesting destinations, pick the one that has a scenery or AFCAD/AFX file available.

I've been hopping my way around North America and the Caribbean like that.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

My choice is mostly (but not exclusively) based on the time of day, my addon airports, and ATC on Vatsim. I use FSCaptain to generate a random flight, that takes into account my addon airports (I set a 70% chance to fly to an addon airport and a 30% chance to a random airport). It also creates a Google Earth kml file of all addon airports that I have installed.

Peter

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

I have created a Google map, with all my payware airports marked with their ICAO and name. It has worked an absolute treat over the years. Whenever I am unsure where I want to fly, I open Google Earth map and I have all my destinations laid out in front of me. I can also use the Google measuring tool and decide the duration of a flight from one airport to another! :smile:

Hi Howard,

Not to take away from your efforts with Google - but - if you get tired of updating the maps - Little Navmap - scans your scenery.cfg and databases this information for you - then - in the map view you have the ability to show - only - those airports you have improved scenery for... It works like a champ... I consider the literally hundreds of ORBX freeware airports as potential destinations and it would take forever to plot them manually... After checking real world weather for what I want to fly in - my next stop is LNM to view my improved airports...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I have been using AirHauler 2 and pick a mission that looks like an interesting destination.  I like that it "forces you" to use the same departure airport as where you last landed...kinda fun.  Other than that, I usually fly in the US, Canada or Alaska, so I'll open up WunderMap for weather and find some interesting place to fly based on weather conditions...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Open up the FlightAware website, pick an airport that is interesting to you, and check for inbound or outbound filghts. Simulate one of them.

Open up the ADS-B Exchange website, look for aircraft flying over your head right now (*or over an area you're interested in flying through), and set up a flight based on that.

Or, if I'm truly bored, I just don't fly. Pick up another game and mess around with that for a while.

-Greg

Like others, I follow my VA for my next flight. 

It would be nice to have a web site that would allow one to select a departing airport (could default to last airport you landed) and suggest a random flight based on real-life flights from this airport, other flights flown by other pilots, or just a random one.  For each, it could show payware/freeware airport scenery and equipment plus a link to simbrief.com or similar site (or even have simbrief.com offer this service) for routes, weather, etc.  What else?

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Sports fantasy is my theme. 

Currently I am flying a mix of the St Louis Blues NHL schedule and the Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball schedule.  Have to play off of both. So last night I was in St Louis for their game against the Florida Panthers, missing the Hoosiers hard fought basketball win over Penn State.

For tonight I will fly from St Louis to Ann Arbor, Michigan, (into KYIP) for the Indiana women's basketball game at Michigan.  Then to Bloomington, Indiana, for the men's basketball game against Northwestern on Sunday.  From there it's from Bloomington on to Toronto for the Blues game there on Tuesday. Then on to Ottawa for a Thursday night Blue's game. Then to East Lansing, Michigan, for the Indiana vs Michigan State game Friday (19th).  Back to St Louis for the Saturday night game vs Arizona.  Back to Bloomington for a Monday night game vs Maryland, then back to St Louis for a Tuesday night game.

It's a busy schedule.....

I choose my twin engine GA aircraft on a blend of economy and speed based on the distance of the longest leg of an out-of-town trip.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I look for interesting weather in some area covered by my payware sceneries.

Dave

• Upvote 1