Sign in to follow this  
GregC

REX Sky Force vs Active Sky

Hi guys,

I was just looking for some feedback on both as to which one is better, if at all.

I currently have AS16 and Cloud Art and I understand that REX Sky Force is a weather engine also and I'm trying to find out if it would justify paying for Sky Force if I have AS16 already.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg you need to start to use that search button on the right top corner ;), there's a bunch of topics already talking about Rex Sky Force!

• Upvote 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

The long and short is that AS16/ASP4+ASCA does a lot more because it's a fully featured weather engine with dynamic injection of cloud models, structure AND textures as required by conditions. REX SkyForce has a half-baked weather engine that causes huge shifts in wind whenever it updates conditions (as a consequence most people can't use that part), is not compatible with most weather radars, and whilst it dynamically injects cloud models and structure, you pick the cloud and sky texture set yourself loading FSX/P3D.

As Marques said, it's been discussed to death within the P3D forums so if you need more details, have a look that

• Upvote 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, GregC said:

Hi guys,

I was just looking for some feedback on both as to which one is better, if at all.

I currently have AS16 and Cloud Art and I understand that REX Sky Force is a weather engine also and I'm trying to find out if it would justify paying for Sky Force if I have AS16 already.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Seems your question is mainly about the weather engine, not the textures, so in that case: I think 99% of the simmers here will agree that you should stick with AS for weather and not buy SF for that. Main reasons: SF doesn't do smooth redraws after weather injection (sudden instant changes) and SF doesn't do historic weather.

However, for clouds (structures and textures) SF may be of interest still. SF clouds work perfectly fine with AS weather. You could even keep on using AS for dynamic sky textures. From the testing I did I have to say I like the SF clouds more than the AS ones but that's very personal. I also don't really know which skies are more realistic. But SF usually looks great. But for the weather engine, no, don't buy SF for that.

4 hours ago, J van E said:

Seems your question is mainly about the weather engine, not the textures, so in that case: I think 99% of the simmers here will agree that you should stick with AS for weather and not buy SF for that. Main reasons: SF doesn't do smooth redraws after weather injection (sudden instant changes) and SF doesn't do historic weather.

However, for clouds (structures and textures) SF may be of interest still. SF clouds work perfectly fine with AS weather. You could even keep on using AS for dynamic sky textures. From the testing I did I have to say I like the SF clouds more than the AS ones but that's very personal. I also don't really know which skies are more realistic. But SF usually looks great. But for the weather engine, no, don't buy SF for that.

I am also on the fence about SF. But I am more intrigued by your suggestion. 

I already have ASCA and AS16. If I use SF for cloud injection "ONLY", will running ASCA at the same time cause any conflicts or is there any precautions that can be taken ?

Bilal Asif Khan

3 hours ago, biloo said:

I am also on the fence about SF. But I am more intrigued by your suggestion. 

I already have ASCA and AS16. If I use SF for cloud injection "ONLY", will running ASCA at the same time cause any conflicts or is there any precautions that can be taken ?

you dont  run asca  at all if  you  use sf

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

21 hours ago, biloo said:

There won't be any conflicts if you set things up properly.

1. Open ASCA, go to Settings and disable Cirrus, Cloud Textures and Cloud Structures so only Sky Colors are activated. Install any theme you like (I'd advice Full dynamics for dynamic skies).

2. Start Sky Force, go to Global Settings > Engine and disable the weather engine (just disable EVERY option on the Engine settings page). Then go to Global Settings > Install and disable ALL Sky Textures. The rest of the settings are up to you. Obviously you should leave the clouds enabled. :happy: Make sure the Cloud Sync options is enabled too.

Now when you want to fly start AS (which will automatically start ASCA in the background), start SF (no need to do anything with it, just minimize it) and start your sim. You will be using AS weather with ASCA dynamic skies and SF clouds in perfect harmony.

I myself am even using ENVTEX skies which I have installed into ASCA so they are used dynamically.

18 hours ago, pete_auau said:

you dont  run asca  at all if  you  use sf

Well, you do if you want to use ASCA's (dynamic) skies. :happy: