Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

is the airport scenery market really that lucrative?

As a scenery developer, I certainly know why I do this. Although it is my sole income, and has been for some time, I'd make more money in a fast-food kitchen. But like a lot of developers, I'm kind of hooked on building a world in the sim. Plus, I figure that someone has to do it.

It really comes down to job satisfaction, which is inversely proportional to the financial return -- started out in insurance, great money, no fun, then moved into graphic design, average income, good clean fun, then took the plunge into full-time FS development -- constantly broke, but enjoy waking up every day. Except bill-paying day...

I couldn't do this without some regular contract work, although this normally doesn't result in something I can put in my store, so I try and spend as much time on my own projects as possible. Funding projects to completion is a major challenge, and I do rely a lot on support from my past customers, who seem to be happy with my releases, however infrequent:)

The ideal of people flocking to FS development for the money is amusing.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, toprob said:

As a scenery developer, I certainly know why I do this. Although it is my sole income, and has been for some time, I'd make more money in a fast-food kitchen. But like a lot of developers, I'm kind of hooked on building a world in the sim. Plus, I figure that someone has to do it.

It really comes down to job satisfaction, which is inversely proportional to the financial return -- started out in insurance, great money, no fun, then moved into graphic design, average income, good clean fun, then took the plunge into full-time FS development -- constantly broke, but enjoy waking up every day. Except bill-paying day...

I couldn't do this without some regular contract work, although this normally doesn't result in something I can put in my store, so I try and spend as much time on my own projects as possible. Funding projects to completion is a major challenge, and I do rely a lot on support from my past customers, who seem to be happy with my releases, however infrequent:)

The ideal of people flocking to FS development for the money is amusing.

That's the first first-hand statement about life as a commercial developer that I've heard. Especially the first paragraph (plus a lengthy one about relative cost and hourly wage) should be the first response to unruly customers.

Money-making is the first on my list of stupid arguments to get into add-on development, right before "for the fame" and "to be better than [long established and experienced developer]".

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

+

in 2014, I help a friend to complete some Belgian Air Force fields for a Air Museum, the motivation was essentially the challenge todo it. The only return of money is for the Museum.

Mark