Sign in to follow this  
tjeuten

FIX page question

Hi,

a question I have about the FIX page that I couldn't find the answer for in the FCOM:

in the NGX, after you select an approach procedure to a specific runway, you can enter that runway designator in the fix page (for example RW08L), which can then be used with the options below to create green distance rings on the ND. I always configure 25, 10 and 5nm rings to the threshold of my runway for situational awareness.

However this technique does not seem to work on the 747 v3. Normal waypoints are accepted but runway designators do not seem to be working, so I was wondering if this is indeed normal behaviour and a limitation of the real 747 FMS, or if this is something that is supposed to be possible but maybe a bug.

For now as a workaround I create those distance rings around the destination airport instead of the runway threshold, but I guess it's using the ARP then and for some airports there can be quite a huge difference (e.g. EHAM runway 18R/36L).

Thanks.

Mathieu

Mathieu Souphy

This is definitely not a bug in the QOTS.  The only valid entries you can insert in the FIX page of the B744 are navaids, airports and waypoints in the aircraft's navigation database.

Bertie Goddard   

16 hours ago, tjeuten said:

in the NGX, after you select an approach procedure to a specific runway, you can enter that runway designator in the fix page (for example RW08L), which can then be used with the options below to create green distance rings on the ND. I always configure 25, 10 and 5nm rings to the threshold of my runway for situational awareness.

This only works in the NGX when the approach you select has the runway designator  defined as a fix in the sidstar file for that location.  This will normally only be true for some RNV approaches and rarely for an ILS. In this case, the RNV18R approach at EHAM does not declare the runway as a waypoint:

APPROACH RNVR18R FIX EH655 AT OR ABOVE 2000 FIX EH654 1000 RNW 18R TRK 238 UNTIL 2000 HDG 238 VECTORS

The keyword RNW in this syntax is not a waypoint or fix designation but simply an external reference for the FMS to look elsewhere in the navdata for the runway data.

Dan Downs KCRP

Try VPB as a Fix for RW18R in Schiphol. It‘s the ILS ident. I think I‘ve done that before..

I usually use the ILS-designator for a particular Rwy, with the radial/distance rings for situational awareness.

For EHAM/Rwy 18R it is indeed VPB as fix and 003/05 as radial/range.

Ok thanks for the tip on the ILS designator, I will use these.

I guess that means I'm out of luck if shooting any other approach like RNAV...

Mathieu Souphy

My guess is that you don't have to select an ILS-approach when you select an ILS-designator in the fix page...

The ILS-designator in the fix-page only shows you where the runway is, nothing more...

1 hour ago, tjeuten said:

Ok thanks for the tip on the ILS designator, I will use these.

I guess that means I'm out of luck if shooting any other approach like RNAV...

I'm not sure why this depiction of range rings is necessary.  If I am going to self vector I will set up a 5 nm ring from the airport for spacing my downwind leg but your situational awareness during approach should be based on clues such as DME and altitude. Keep it simple.

Dan Downs KCRP

I draw a 2 mile ring around the FAF as a reminder to have gear down and final laps.  

I also use rings when I need to turn to an assigned heading prior to a certain DME or distance from the end of the runway.  A good example would be departing PHNL where I would have to turn to my assigned heading prior to the HNL 3 DME. 

Creating rings using the FIX page makes my life much easier.  

blaustern 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

and if you REALLY want to make it weird if your runway has no ILS, go to your RTE 2 LEGS page, insert a waypoint using the runway's coordinates and use this new WP as a FIX :D :b_hantu:

there are so many ways to loose situational awareness for situational awareness :D