Sign in to follow this  
jotafl

One more question on globe location

Hello Lorby, thanks for the tool you have provided for free for the flight sim community. Been in the flight sim arena for a long time but just recently switched to P3D and started with v4, and realize that there are few of the main airports that I used outdated.

I will use John Manley KORD (P3Dv4 compatible) from avsim as an example to see if I have this thing right. Don't want to screw P3Dv4 file structure as right now the only thing I have is v4 add on compatible.

This file contains the Addon Scenery which contains \Scenery  \Texture and \Global files.

I have created a directory on my drive called E:\Addon Free Sceneries\ and that is what I intend to use for updates or add on free sceneries for P3Dv4

I will take the files from the KORD and put them here:

E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KORD\Scenery
E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KORD\Texture
E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KORD\Global

Not sure if so far I'm doing it right but from reading "World or Global files" and "Still confused with xml methods" threads this is the way I understand it.

Now I open the P4AO click on "Add scenery" "Create a new one"  Name: KORD_V2_1 give it a description, select the scenery, submit, save and that's it. A new xml file will be created under C:\Users\FLT\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\KORD_V2_1.

The P4AO will assign automatically the layers and so on.

Can you let me know if this is how it is, or am I missing something or doing something wrong?
Again, don't want to mess the file structure as it is working perfect right now.

Thank you again. :)

Jay Marin

Hello Jay,

that "Global" folder must be added to the same add-on.xml in an additional step, the sim won't find it automatically. It is a scenery area all by itself. To get it exactly right, give it layer 113 (only for the "Global" entry).

Allow me just one remark that many people don't get right the first time - you don't need an add-on.xml for every single addon. For example, you can add more than one scenery to that new add-on.xml that you made. As you are just starting out, you should give your scenery organization some thought, so you don't end up with a myriad of xml files and lose track of them. For example you could have one XML per continent, or one for freeware and others for each payware developer or... whatever.

For example, in the above case I would use the same folder structure as you did, but pull the "Global" thing up one step to "E:\Addon Free Sceneries\Global". Then I would create one add-on.xml called "Free Sceneries" and then add "KORD" and the "Global" as two separate Addon components (giving "Global" the Layer 113 and put KORD on top of everything). The reason is, that over time you will add more sceneries to the "...Free..." folder, which all may have some BGL file to be saved in "Global". If you always keep those in the respective subfolders like you did, you will soon have multiple entries all named "Global", which will give you a headache. Whereas with my solution there is only one "Global". The same goes for everything that is saved in "World" (which should get layer "2").

E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KORD\Scenery
E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KORD\Texture
E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KJFK\Scenery
E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KJFK\Texture
E:\Addon Free Sceneries\Effects
E:\Addon Free Sceneries\Global\Scenery
E:\Addon Free Sceneries\World\Scenery

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
<AddOn.Name>Free Sceneries</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>My free sceneries</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Scenery</Category>
    <Path>E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KORD</Path>
    <Name>KORD</Name>
    <Layer>131</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>E:\Addon Free Sceneries\KJFK</Path>
    <Name>KJFK</Name>
    <Layer>130</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>E:\Addon Free Sceneries\Global</Path>
    <Name>FreeGlobalLayer</Name>
    <Layer>113</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>E:\Addon Free Sceneries\World</Path>
    <Name>FreeWorldLayer</Name>
    <Layer>2</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Effects</Category>
<Path>E:\Addon Free Sceneries\Effects</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Awesome Oliver, I will play with this today or tomorrow, after reading your reply it makes sense not to have too many xml files. The only question I have at the moment is, why layer 113? I know they other ones will be number automatically but why 113? Can it be any number? I will do as you tell me, just curious.

Take care and thanks for the prompt reply. :)

Jay Marin

Hi Oliver, was able to spend some time in the computer and after reading your post again it did click. Was able to install the KORD and once done it is not difficult at all. I am glad I'll be able to keep my Sceneries organized.

Did export the sceneries as html and there I saw layer 113 and layer 2. Now it all makes sense.

Thanks for the help again. :ampun:

J

Jay Marin

7 hours ago, jotafl said:

why 113?

Because that is the approximate layer number of the default "Global" scenery area. That number may be different on your computer if you have FTX Vector installed or an additional mesh product. Just scroll down the scenery list in P4AO and place your "Global" right above the default "Global".

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Thanks, one last question, at least for now, hehehe.

When I add more than one scenery to the same xml file, the new scenery moves the "global" above the new scenery, do I need to manually move the scenery above the global or can I leave the global in the same location without any issues?

Thank you so much.

Jay Marin

3 hours ago, jotafl said:

Thanks, one last question, at least for now, hehehe.

When I add more than one scenery to the same xml file, the new scenery moves the "global" above the new scenery, do I need to manually move the scenery above the global or can I leave the global in the same location without any issues?

Thank you so much.

I am not sure if I understand this... what is "above" and "location" in that case? The sequence in the add-on.xml is of no consequence, the only thing that counts is the scenery layer on the main list in P4AO. If you set a layer 113, the one/single/only Global in that XML file will stay at that layer even if you add a dozen new sceneries (which initially get a layer number above the last entry of your whole scenery library).

Best regards

LORBY-SI

18 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

I am not sure if I understand this... what is "above" and "location" in that case? The sequence in the add-on.xml is of no consequence, the only thing that counts is the scenery layer on the main list in P4AO. If you set a layer 113, the one/single/only Global in that XML file will stay at that layer even if you add a dozen new sceneries (which initially get a layer number above the last entry of your whole scenery library).

Best regards

Hi Oliver, I think I understand as you say "the sequence is no consequence", but here is an example of what I mean:

Prior to installing a new scenery it will look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <AddOn.Description>Free Sceneries and Updates</AddOn.Description>
<AddOn.Component>
    <Path>E:\AddOn Free Sceneries\KATL</Path>
    <Name>KATL_ETI_v1.4</Name>
    <Layer>140</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>E:\AddOn Free Sceneries\Global</Path>
    <Layer>113</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Now adding a new scenery:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <AddOn.Description>Free Sceneries and Updates</AddOn.Description>
<AddOn.Component>
    <Path>E:\AddOn Free Sceneries\KATL</Path>
    <Name>KATL_ETI_v1.4</Name>
    <Layer>140</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>E:\AddOn Free Sceneries\Global</Path>
    <Layer>113</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
    <Path>E:\AddOn Free Sceneries\TJPS</Path>
    <Name>TJPS_Ponce</Name>
    <Layer>141</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

As you can see the Global layer was move above the new scenery TJPS, I guess with your reply I do not have to manually keep moving the Global to the last position where TJPS is now and move TJPS where Global is. Hope this clear the confusion.

Jay ;)

Jay Marin

Hello Jay,

as I said, the sequence in which the AddOn.Component tags show up is completely irrelevant. XML files don't work like that. The defining attribute for the scenery priority is the number in the "Layer" tag.

I would stay away from the XML files if I were you. Don't ever edit them manually.

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

On 1/11/2018 at 1:07 PM, Lorby_SI said:

<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Effects</Category>
<Path>E:\Addon Free Sceneries\Effects</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Hello Oliver, how do you add the effects component? When I try to add it via the add scenery a window opens telling me that "Folder does not contain scenery data", I know you told me not to edit the xml file but I did try to add the block at the end but when I add another scenery it erases the "Effects" component. Any help?

Take care.

Jay

Jay Marin

44 minutes ago, jotafl said:

Hello Oliver, how do you add the effects component? When I try to add it via the add scenery a window opens telling me that "Folder does not contain scenery data", I know you told me not to edit the xml file but I did try to add the block at the end but when I add another scenery it erases the "Effects" component. Any help?

Take care.

Jay

That is what the "Other Addons" tab is for in P4AO. Just add a component of category "Effects" to the same addon xml as your scenery.

Staying away from editing XML files manually: there are 2 problems if you try that: you could break the internal structure of the XML file if you are not aware of how an XML file (=every XML file, not only those from P3D) works - and you could screw up the character encoding if you are using an unsuitable editor. Both can lead to broken files that not even the simulator reads anymore.

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the help Oliver, will check it out tomorrow. BTW: I always do a backup of the xml file before doing anything to it, but I do understand your concern. Thanks again. :)

Jay

Jay Marin