Sign in to follow this  
ark

Strange Display Problem after Win10 Update

I have FSX and FSX-SE on the same machine and use Lua scripts with FSUIPC to display things like a/c checklists. The Win10 1709 update has impacted the Lua displays in FSX, but not in FSX-SE. In FSX now I can see the lists 'grow' in size, e.g., 10 short lines of info do not flash on the screen as a single display unit, but instead you can see the list build up in size, and sometimes there is quite a bit of jitter as the list builds. Once complete, however, the display is stable. In FSX-SE, nothing has changed as far as I can tell. The lists display 'in a flash' as a single unit as they did before the Win10 upgrade. I have experimented a bit with different Nvidia drivers, and while some make the problem worse, none cure it. I have also reinstalled the three versions of SimConnect associated with FSX.

Thanks for any ideas,

Al

I don't have any idea what's going on. But think about it. Clearly the update has pointed out some kind of difference between FSX and FSX-SE. Not any other software or driver. And LUA is the catalyst. What does LUA do for the game?

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:02 AM, bobbyjack said:

And LUA is the catalyst. What does LUA do for the game?

Lua is a computer language for writing scripts (programs) that can interface with the simulator through Pete Dowson's FSUIPC utility.  I use Lua scripts to interface buttons and keys to control aircraft functions such as the gear, yaw damper, spoilers, lights, reversers;  to display checklists; to calculate and display Vr and Vref speeds based on a/c weight and flap settings; to reposition the aircraft to a new location in the air or on the ground; to read and display flight parameters (TAS, GS, radio altitude, altitude, VS, etc); to initiate verbal callouts of speeds, gear and flap settings on approach; to enter altitudes, radio frequencies, headings or courses; to control the autopilot, etc, all by typing on the keyboard or pushing a physical yoke or throttle button instead of trying to operate an a/c switch or knob with the mouse. For me, using the mouse to find click spots can be challenging at times, especially in turbulence, and I don't like it. The Lua scripts make the flying much more enjoyable for me -- as they say, to each his own. The key to all this is FSUIPC which provides read/write access to a great many of the a/c and sim variables (parameters). Although Lua scripts are certainly not unique to flight simming, many flight simmers write and use Lua scripts.

Regarding my initial post, I've decided to just use FSX-SE until I upgrade to P3D.

Thanks for the response,

Al