Sign in to follow this  
RetardRetard

Is this what VR performance is about?

I have to ask how you would rate VR smoothness in Aerofly FS 2. 

I recently got what I would rate a very good gaming computer + Rift in order to enjoy VR flights for the first time. But my impression so far is... Meh. It's not about the resolution, I am fine with that. It's the nervous rendering of frames and micro-stutters. The entire world I am viewing in cockpit feels...well...nervous and jumpy. Difficult to explain. It's not solid. 

My FPS are on 90 according to the Rift application and I assume ASW is active. But here's the thing... it doesn't really get smoother if I reduce graphic settings to minimum either. Or if I pick an area with minimal surroundings. It's still a nervous view in my HMD - especially after head movements.. 

I though the FS2 simulator would be a walk in the park for my rig 

i7-8700K (normal clock)
Asus Geforce 1080ti OC version 
16 GB DDR4
Samsung EVO 960 250 GB 

Latest Nvidia drivers and headset up to date. VSync is off in FS2 and I set resolution to "monitor". I use Oculus mode for VR when launching the game. 

Any ideas? Other games don't behave like this.

That’s very strange.  My PC spec is a lot lower than uours and I get 120fps plus.  Just as a try - launch your occulus, then forget it, go to the Steam site and launch FS2 in VR mode - the link is on the left hand side and click the occulus mode launch.  Worth a try.

Kev

That was my experience also in AeroFly FS2, stutters, reprojection, freezes, was not good! Thats why i asked a refund on the game, although i read others saying the opposite. I dint had a 1080 ti then, was a 980 ti!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Sounds like you just might be using the oculus tray tool with ASW active. If so, turn it off. Aerofly with the Oculus doesnt need ASW on a machine with your specs, and tends to hate it.

This is pretty much what you should see in AF VR

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I don't have Aerofly but when your frames are jumpy and shuddery it is called judder and is almost always caused from your settings being too high, or Super Sampling too high. I would try setting all settings to low and Super Sampling set to no more than 1.5 in OTT,  see if you get a solid frames. Then after getting things looking OK as far as judder, start increasing things slowly. takes a bit of time but well worth doing. The rig you have is more than capable. Good luck.

@RetardRetard,

Before you focus on VR performance, make sure your single HD (1920x1080) monitor Aeofly FS2 performance is correct: (Graphic settings at high for now - Nvidia 1060 8xMSAA - Intel CPU 4.2 Ghz)

1) If you have the Colorado scenery, short final into Aspen Pitkin RWY 15 with Learjet virtual cockpit should see FPS (Ctrl+F1) at 250 fps

2)  At San Francisco takeoff in B747-400 at RWY 28L virtual cockpit EFIS showing , FPS = 170

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I don't think it matters what your fps in aerofly is set to ie 120fps when you go into vr mode it is reduced to 90fps when I started using afs2 in vr mode back in September vr was very smooth but now have some stuttering now and again also autogen buildings in distance I get bad shimmering even in 2d I have stop using afs2 for now I know they are looking at a fix for this so in the meantime using p3dv4 nice and smooth and no shimmering which is important for me but I prefer to fly in vr specially the Cessna 172 and the scenery looks great.

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

@jimimac,

The frame rate does matter in non VR mode! You really need as much as 220 fps in non-VR mode since for VR, you have to drive two separate views (left and right eye) and then for image clarity, you need to run SuperSampling (aka Render Scale Factor or Pixel Density) at least at 1.5 which is roughly 2500x2000 resolution per eye before downsampling (and it gets exponentially worse as you set SuperSampling up towards 2.0). In the end run, you get maybe about 40% of the non-VR rate in VR. You can easily see what your rate is in non-VR mode if you disable Vsync but you can't tell easily in VR mode - either 90 fps or 45 fps with ASW - and you can't tell how close you are to missing 90 fps which will cause some stuttering. So my approach for minimal stuttering is to establish my graphic setting in single HD monitor, non Vsync, mode trying to get 220 fps. This is also then the best way to get someone who is having performance problems to benchmark their own system, and then if they get 220 fps on average, they should have a great VR experience. After the most recent update of FS2 (2.07.39),  use of Nvidia drivers 388.71 on WIndows 10, AND no CPU/GPU clock throttling (set maximum/high performance in WIn 10 power plan and Nvidia power management), FS2 is quite smooth again.

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2