Sign in to follow this  
connan

Road traffic - back lights

Hi there,

is there a possibility to fix road traffic back lights? Viewing road traffic from a close up position all cars have red back lights, but these turn white at a distance not to far off. So I was wondering if that's just a mip map issue which could easily be fixed. From digging through textures it seems that cars indeed share some sort of light texture but I couldn't find it. So any hints on that? I think it would add quite a bit of immersion having these red lights at distance also.

Best regards

connan

Interesting, I have never noticed this but then again I can barely notice the car traffic  lights anyway.  I wish the lights in general on the car traffic could be brightened to look like they do in XP.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

16 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Interesting, I have never noticed this but then again I can barely notice the car traffic  lights anyway.  I wish the lights in general on the car traffic could be brightened to look like they do in XP.

Can you post a picture to compare them?

Regards,
Simbol

Orbx has a lights configurator. Not sure if it works in 4.1 thou.

13 minutes ago, connan said:

AFAIR its just for road lights and not road traffic itself

Correct...although it does have a setting for traffic lights but it is for static 'fake' taillights and not the moving traffic.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

55 minutes ago, simbol said:

Regards,
Simbol

Simbol - No, I do not have any pics as I have removed XP11 from my system.  You can probably find some videos showing them but they remind me of a volumetric or 'effect' type of lights.  XP has a completely different lighting engine though so probably not feasible in P3D without killing FPS...:laugh:

Eric

The road traffic vehicles in P3d do not use a light effect for either the headlights or taillights. As the LOD of the model used gets smaller as the user is further away from the model, the amount of red on the back of the model probably is less than one pixel, so the only thing that is visible are ORBX street lights.

2 hours ago, simbol said:

Regards,
Simbol

You might want to consider adding light effects to a few of the stock road vehicle models in your upcoming Pro version. 

5 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

You might want to consider adding light effects to a few of the stock road vehicle models in your upcoming Pro version. 

I would like to see how cars look in XP as users are pointing out before taking any decision, I would appreciate if somebody could post some.

Simbol

40 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The road traffic vehicles in P3d do not use a light effect for either the headlights or taillights. As the LOD of the model used gets smaller as the user is further away from the model, the amount of red on the back of the model probably is less than one pixel, so the only thing that is visible are ORBX street lights.

Yes, I'm aware but I wouldn't mind making the lowest mipmap from the back texture just a red dot (cars are box mapped). I would even guess that there aren't mipmaps at all, but that would be an easy fix :)

15 hours ago, connan said:

Could you please tell where they are located in P3D?

<drive>:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\Global\texture

For example, the main texture is:

Veh_Cars01.dds

There are also corresponding light map, specular and bump map textures.

• Upvote 1