Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Perhaps the Ultimate Home Simulator?

You mean like upgrading from FS5,1 to FS2002 to FS2004 to FSX to FSX Steam to P3d to P3dV1 to P3Dv2 to P3Dv3 to P3Dv4 and getting the latest video card and ultimately a new computer (like I had to do a couple months ago) David?

I have friends who own airplanes and realize the maintenance costs.  But I personally would rather spend 600K on rentals  A Cherokee 180 goes for 140.00 an hour where I live.  That 600K covers over 4,000 hours.  If I were to fly 10 hours a month or 120 hours a year I could fly for the next 30 years.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

9 hours ago, n4gix said:

his modest simulator

Hah, and I wonder what will his "money is not a concern" simulator will be :ohmy:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I think there may be 1 to many 0's in that cost figure or it includes the building extension.

I have a similar setup for my 737 but without the projection screen (I have 3 x 70" 4k TV's and my wife would kill me if it cost over half a million $.

David

10 hours ago, n4gix said:

A friend of mine shared a picture of his new home simulator. He lives in Las Vegas, and had a new addition to his home constructed, and commissioned this B777 "home cockpit". ~$600,000 not including the building addition. It is run by six computers loaded with P3Dv4 (started with P3Dv3):

FsyQA2.jpg

That home cockpit certainly has a "Wow" factor, looks very real, almost like an amusement park ride.  He should go on Craigslist and charge a nominal fee, I'd pay for sure if he lived local to Phoenix.  But my setup suits my casual style of simming, just one widescreen monitor.  My pet Kitty, Rose, watches as I fly but is a bit too fascinated with my Logitech Extreme 3D controller wire, which I have found to be a great value and fantastic in Xplane11 as well as P3DV4.  I have to say that P3DV4, smooth and stutter free as it is on my system, has been a great sim to work with and practice my landings, I can finally land light jets on the numbers as shown in my two videos of a Reno approach I posted here today. 

I would love a shot at landing in his sim though, that would be a thrill to say the least, especially with the peripheral vision it offers.  Six computers must give outstanding performance, I have to settle with just multiple cores.  However I found that I can open secondary windows and my fps of 33 is not impacted, chose that setting for smoothness with the sim maxed, except for AI which I keep at 30 pct. in the air and on the ground.

John

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

You mean like upgrading from FS5,1 to FS2002 to FS2004 to FSX to FSX Steam to P3d to P3dV1 to P3Dv2 to P3Dv3 to P3Dv4 and getting the latest video card and ultimately a new computer (like I had to do a couple months ago) David?

I have friends who own airplanes and realize the maintenance costs.  But I personally would rather spend 600K on rentals  A Cherokee 180 goes for 140.00 an hour where I live.  That 600K covers over 4,000 hours.  If I were to fly 10 hours a month or 120 hours a year I could fly for the next 30 years.

Noel

Renting is certainly the best option I found, rented the Allegro for $60.00/hr when I did light sport training, lesson costs were added.  I used to pay for my friend's Cessna 172 rental back in the 80's and I flew quite a few hours with him, but only took the controls once, I did not have sim training at the time so I had trouble coming out on heading when I went into a turn.  I was much improved when I took up light sport training but found unlike a desktop sim, more rudder is required due to the constant crosswind I had learning out of Falcon Field in Mesa.

If I did not have risk of seizures from my diabetes I'd finish my LSA instruction, but I can still fly trikes and the wind in my face in a trike seems to prevent my seizures.  They aren't major, but I feel them strongly in my right foot which is not good when working a rudder, whereas trike flying only the hands are used and your feet can be dragged on landing in a single place trike.  I'd love to create a trike simulator setup like this heavy iron setup, since there aren't any I have ever seen.

John

After I lost my medical I still got the urge to fly now and then.  I would go to the local FBO and plunk down 200 dollars to rent a C-172 and an instructor for an hour.  The instructor just sat in the right seat while I flew.  But it was the only way could get airborne for an hour.

After a couple of trips and getting friendly with the instructor he would call me up when he had a free afternoon and we'd go flying for just the cost of the airplane.

He moved on and I've only flown once since. 

A woman who was in my national guard unit married an Air Force pilot.  He now flies for American out of DFW and they live in an airport community near Dallas.  They own an American Yankee and flew out here for a visit one week-end.

He took me up and let me have some stick time.  That was two summers ago.

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

12 hours ago, odourboy said:

Words escape me! I take it he's not not married?!  :laugh:

I would venture a guess he was married!  Here is another home cockpit link to the videos forum, using Xplane11 as its engine.

A pity if he gets sick of flying and has to put a train simulator in after all that.

Harry Woodrow

9 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Do you happen to know if those are behind screen projectors ... would love to see this in motion as I can't see any image overlap at all.

The projectors are mounted on top of the cockpit. That's what you get with a truly professional installation. :cool:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, dacostad said:

I think there may be 1 to many 0's in that cost figure or it includes the building extension.

I have a similar setup for my 737 but without the projection screen (I have 3 x 70" 4k TV's and my wife would kill me if it cost over half a million $.

Oops! Remove the "not" since that cost does include the extension of his "modest' home. I mean, this guy drives a Bentley for heaven's sake!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I hope he does something about that step into the cockpit/flightdeck/playpen.  It is a severe OHS problem for when the Flight Attendant brings the hot coffee.

Harry Woodrow

It was all looking charming / perfect, until you wrote P3D..... $600k for a P3D-driven sim... Well....

It should be using IL2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad, in a Spitfire enclosure....

Or... this alternative, using Aerowinx PSX and XP11...

:-)  ( running..... not even trying to look back....  )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am finding this all somehow... sad.

Where's the copilot?
If the simulator is true to life, you need a copilot.
Unless the pilots' associations worldwide have been fibbing about workload. :huh:

20 minutes ago, WingZ said:

I am finding this all somehow... sad.

Where's the copilot?
If the simulator is true to life, you need a copilot.
Unless the pilots' associations worldwide have been fibbing about workload. :huh:

Begs the question, I always wondered about John Travolta, whether he uses a copilot for his 707, and how often he flies it.  In the video link I posted above, the pilot of the Xplane sim seemed to have his hands full.

John

On 12. januar 2018 at 4:52 PM, n4gix said:

A friend of mine shared a picture of his new home simulator. He lives in Las Vegas, and had a new addition to his home constructed, and commissioned this B777 "home cockpit". ~$600,000 including the building addition. It is run by six computers loaded with P3Dv4 (started with P3Dv3):

That's an awesome setup. Thanks for sharing. Always fun too look at people with attention to detail and a passion for their hobby.  In all honesty I wouldn't want one for myself, but it would have been really cool to play with it for a few days :) 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!