Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Guide to setting up ASCA+ENVTEXT(with AS+SF)

Also an update on Max Cloud Draw.

Last week I went from 200 max cloud Draw with AS to the max 250 nm.

After a few flight I thought, odd as I was getting the same thing happen every flight. What I noticed was after around 160 nm my skies would turn softly into clear skies. I thought nothing of this at first as weather is weather! after a few more flights I thought this is a bit odd! so I used AS weather report 120.02 and it said the arrival airport was 2500 few clouds, so I thought OK its just the weather!!!

Last night I used historial weather to do a flight from EGLL to EDDF. Again 160 nm into the flight the skies became clear and the weather report at EDDF was the same few clouds at 2500!! really!

Once below 8000 I could see a few clouds/very few as the report. Ended flight and thought, there is something wrong? Took note of the time I had landed.

Restart everything and set the time as I landed at EDDF and started up at EDDF, clouds every were nothing like I had landed in.

So I was right and I was losing clouds all the time at 160 nm from were I took of from.

I went into AS and read the upper VIS options a few time as its not totally clear but with V fog on in P3D it says max vis is 199. That was set, so I went into max cloud draw and set that down to 195.

Took of from EGNX and headed sound 160 nm is just as the channel starts. So got upto FL 420 in the GLJ and waited. Go over the channel and over France, clouds drawn out to as far as I could see, all good again.

So I think they might be a bug when max draw is set to 250.

I went upto 48,000ft and still cloud draw was out as far as anyone would need. Got to the middle of France and all was at it should be. So Max cloud draw is now set to 195 and I am keeping cloud layers at 10 as this seems to have no impact after a good few flights.

Cloud Layers =10

Min Cloud Draw =140

Max Cloud Draw=195

• Upvote 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

53 minutes ago, J van E said:

1) You can't know. There is no way to check if anything is happening in the background. In fact, I myself even doubt if there actually is something happening in the background.

Yes, first I thought like you but then I saw this thread on their forums:

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47060-user-manual-vs-gui-discrepancy/

However, no matter what was said there, I still think you can just close SF3D after the initial downloading as nothing is injected dynamically, at least without SF3D wx engine. But I may well be wrong.

Thanks,

21 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

After a few flight I thought, odd as I was getting the same thing happen every flight. What I noticed was after around 160 nm my skies would turn softly into clear skies. I thought nothing of this at first as weather is weather! after a few more flights I thought this is a bit odd! so I used AS weather report 120.02 and it said the arrival airport was 2500 few clouds, so I thought OK its just the weather!!!

Last night I used historial weather to do a flight from EGLL to EDDF. Again 160 nm into the flight the skies became clear and the weather report at EDDF was the same few clouds at 2500!! really!

Once below 8000 I could see a few clouds/very few as the report. Ended flight and thought, there is something wrong? Took note of the time I had landed.

Restart everything and set the time as I landed at EDDF and started up at EDDF, clouds every were nothing like I had landed in.

So I was right and I was losing clouds all the time at 160 nm from were I took of from.

I went into AS and read the upper VIS options a few time as its not totally clear but with V fog on in P3D it says max vis is 199. That was set, so I went into max cloud draw and set that down to 195.

Took of from EGNX and headed sound 160 nm is just as the channel starts. So got upto FL 420 in the GLJ and waited. Go over the channel and over France, clouds drawn out to as far as I could see, all good again.

I went upto 48,000ft and still cloud draw was out as far as anyone would need. Got to the middle of France and all was at it should be. So Max cloud draw is now set to 195 and I am keeping cloud layers at 10 as this seems to have no impact after a good few flights.

Cloud Layers =10

Min Cloud Draw =140

Max Cloud Draw=195

Excellent research, I noticed exactly the same depiction yesterday, when I first ran SF3D, I thought something was wrong on my end and needed to be adjusted.

Dirk

16 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Yes, first I thought like you but then I saw this thread on their forums:

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47060-user-manual-vs-gui-discrepancy/

However, no matter what was said there, I still think you can just close SF3D after the initial downloading as nothing is injected dynamically, at least without SF3D wx engine. But I may well be wrong.

Thanks,

Afaik the problem described in that topic only has to do with the weather engine, not the syncing of files. I won't mind starting SF every time and leaving it run in the background but I do wonder if it has any use (unless you want to use the SF weather engine). If SF installs 1160 cloud structure files into the sim that can be read from disc, why would you need to sync any other files dynamically...? 

53 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Cloud Layers =10

Min Cloud Draw =140

Max Cloud Draw=195

Cloud Layers at 10, what is your PC setup?

I am currently running at CL = 5 with i7-7700k / GTX 1080 / SSD HD / 16G 3200 RAM / 1080p resolution.

30 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

Cloud Layers at 10, what is your PC setup?

I am currently running at CL = 5 with i7-7700k / GTX 1080 / SSD HD / 16G 3200 RAM / 1080p resolution.

So far with testing with AS+ SF Cloud layers are not making any difference. Why? No Idear. A guess is it's due to SF new cloud structures because in 3.4 I could not run cloud draw over 140 and I used 3 cloud layers.Perhaps SF does not use the layers within AS. Truly I have no idea why. I've not seen skies like SF brings and only rex know how it really works. I did try 20 layers and that made no difference but I bottled it and set it back to 10 hehe. Perhaps there is not many cloud layers anyway, who knows :cool:

I just share what I find good or bad.

Spec is In my sig below. but here anyway.

4790K @4.5 GTX 1070, 8GB PC Ram, screen = 1080 x 1920 P3D v4 on a 1TB SSD

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Whats the difference in asca with fully automatic and fully dynamic.  I've never understood 

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Cloud Layers =10

Min Cloud Draw =140

Max Cloud Draw=195

Had similar, see this https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?9247-no-clouds-during-cruise

44 minutes ago, tooting said:

Whats the difference in asca with fully automatic and fully dynamic.  I've never understood 

See this post on the HiFi Simulations forum:

https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?8088-Clarification-of-Full-Dynamic-vs-General-themes&p=39145&viewfull=1#post39145

I prefer Full Dynamics mode in ASCA.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

46 minutes ago, tooting said:

What's the difference in asca with fully automatic and fully dynamic.  I've never understood 

They read as they do the same thing to me Pete. Both would work in the case of this topic. Just Dynamic suit the idea of having "Dynamic" skies better than fully auto.

22 minutes ago, kand said:

From there and good to read. 

Very interesting as it seems to say as I have found. On more than one thing.

"Hi,
disappearing clouds is a symptom most possibly caused by excessive cloud draw distance. Since P3D v 4.x and since the platform has become 64bit, many users have increased their cdd (using AS settings) to extreme values (e.g. >200). This causes no frame loss or VAS increase, but VRAM consumption increases significantly, manifesting as no clouds rendered under certain circumstances. 
Please be careful with this setting."

49 minutes ago, tooting said:

There is no fully automatic. You have Full Dynamics and Global Automatic.

In Global Automatic sky textures, cirrus textures and cloud textures are being injected automatically depending on the weather: cloud texture will always be one texture file that will be loaded if needed when the next weather data is being loaded.

In Full Dynamic sky and cirrus textures are also being injected automatically depending on the weather but now you have 8 cloud textures available at any time so every cloud can have a different texture (up to 8) if needed (where Global only has one texture for every cloud). Now the idea is that any of those 8 cloud textures can also be replaced/injected whenever new weather is being loaded. But I am having problems believing that because the interface of ASCA doesn't show AUTO on the cloud icon. And I won't believe it until the developer himself tells me so. :cool: EDIT The link that RudiJG1 posted actually is from a dev and confirms what I think.

So both options are EXACTLY the same when it comes so skies and cirrus: the only difference is in the cloud textures.

Cheers thanks for the answers,( I meant global automatic)

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, J van E said:

Afaik the problem described in that topic only has to do with the weather engine, not the syncing of files. I won't mind starting SF every time and leaving it run in the background but I do wonder if it has any use (unless you want to use the SF weather engine). If SF installs 1160 cloud structure files into the sim that can be read from disc, why would you need to sync any other files dynamically...? 

My understanding is that SF needs to be running in the background to allow syncing of structures and textures to occur with ongoing changes in the weather as reported and implemented by ASP4 (or any other 3rd Party weather engine). In other words, SF is needed for that dynamic visual experience which attempts to match cloud structures/textures with real world meteorogical changes taking place during a flight. The SF weather engine is not required for this and can be disabled.

Mike

6 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

My understanding is that SF needs to be running in the background to allow syncing of structures and textures to occur with ongoing changes in the weather as reported and implemented by ASP4 (or any other 3rd Party weather engine). In other words, SF is needed for that dynamic visual experience which attempts to match cloud structures/textures with real world meteorogical changes taking place during a flight. The SF weather engine is not required for this and can be disabled.

Mike

Not entirely correct: SF does not sync textures at all. It only syncs cloud structures. So yes, for that SF needs to run. However, I honestly doubt if SF is syncing anything at all. It installs 1160 cloud files into the sim and it can use them even without SF running. So I simply wonder why a sync option is needed at all... Cloud files don't need to be synced: for 'decades' already cloud files were simply loaded from disc when needed so why should SF suddenly change this...? There is no need for a sync option at all for structures. ASCA has been adding cloud structures to the sim since its release and never talked about syncing of injecting them. ASCA does however every obsiously inject sky textures (and probably also cloud textures), something SF can't do.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Not entirely correct: SF does not sync textures at all. It only syncs cloud structures. So yes, for that SF needs to run. However, I honestly doubt if SF is syncing anything at all. It installs 1160 cloud files into the sim and it can use them even without SF running. So I simply wonder why a sync option is needed at all... Cloud files don't need to be synced: for 'decades' already cloud files were simply loaded from disc when needed so why should SF suddenly change this...? There is no need for a sync option at all for structures. ASCA has been adding cloud structures to the sim since its release and never talked about syncing of injecting them. ASCA does however every obsiously inject sky textures (and probably also cloud textures), something SF can't do.

You've missed something here Jeroen. UNLESS the product is synching, only the cloud files loaded at startup are available for use. I can't speak to SF but this is how it usually works - 

Prior to starting P3D - you select your clouds, skies, cirrus, etc - this THEME is loaded into P3D. When P3D is running, the weather engine chooses from WITHIN that theme which cloud set fits the weather and displays that. During the entire time that P3D is running, the ONLY stuff that's available is what was loaded PRIOR to running P3D.

Now, with ASP4 & ASCA - you do the same - select full dynamic - select the THEMES (clouds, skies, etc) you want ASCA to use and start P3D - weather program will select a THEME based upon the weather and load it into p3d and display various cloud sets from WITHIN that theme. Now you are cruising along and the weather makes a dramatic turn - ASP4 and ASCA  see that the current THEME doesn't fit and loads ANOTHER theme ( with all it's clouds and skies etc) and selections are made from that theme. Repeat as necessary - that's essentially how dynamic theme works.

Being overly simplistic here but say there were only 10 different cloud types available to P3d - the only way to get distinct differences would be to overwrite those 10 types on the fly - so even if you had 1000 types, you can only use 10 at a time.

ASCA has hundreds of cloud combinations but only 8 can be used at any one time.

Hope this makes sense - 

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors