Sign in to follow this  
sbs9

REX SKY FORCE 3D + HiFi AS16 after ten routine flights

I completed ten 'routine' flights using the combination HiFi AS16 + REX SKY FORCE. Here is my small gallery and a couple of thoughts. No edited pictures, manual adjustments of weather or intentionally set weather scenarios.

http://www.sbsim.com/rex-sky-force

• Upvote 2

Roman Heriban
Prepar3D v4 | Windows 10 | 1080Ti & 8700K at 4800MHz
FSLabs A320, Active Sky + Sky Force 3D, MCE, PF3, ChasePlane, etc.

sbsim.com

2 hours ago, sbs9 said:

I completed ten 'routine' flights using the combination HiFi AS16 + REX SKY FORCE. Here is my small gallery and a couple of thoughts. No edited pictures, manual adjustments of weather or intentionally set weather scenarios.

http://www.sbsim.com/rex-sky-force

Very nice shots.  As much as I was wanting to stay away from sky force I am very tempted now.

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

I've done 5 flights, 3 of which involved heavy overcast. Tried with 512 dxt and 32 bit. Also with and without enhanced overcast. Losing 10 to 12 frames in the overcast. Not a penalty I'm willing to pay. Gone back to ASCA only with Envtex skies. Performance, even at 32 bit 1024 is not an issue. Run 512 dxt overcast on the ASCA slider. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

ASP4 + Cloud Art in P3Dv4 looks just as good.

Can anybody show us anything different/groundbreaking/revolutionary/totally transforming about skyforce....

• Upvote 1

give it  a  rest Paul  every  thread  you  keep  at  it,  just stick  what you have  than, there  enough  screen  shots  and utubes  out now

• Upvote 8

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Ease up Pete - everyone has a right to their opinion. You continually post how much you like SF and he continually posts how much he likes ASCA. If I were to combine all the posts I've read on this from all users nothing would change. As long as one keeps it civil everyone is entitled to their opinion and one user telling another to stop posting their thoughts is against our policy. Stay with the positive thoughts on what you like.

Vic

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Nice! Would you mind sharing the texture sets you are using ? Clouds, sun, sky, etc.

5 hours ago, B777ER said:

I've done 5 flights, 3 of which involved heavy overcast. Tried with 512 dxt and 32 bit. Also with and without enhanced overcast. Losing 10 to 12 frames in the overcast. Not a penalty I'm willing to pay. Gone back to ASCA only with Envtex skies. Performance, even at 32 bit 1024 is not an issue. Run 512 dxt overcast on the ASCA slider. 

I am experiencing exact same issues. Good eye candy but on overcast conditions my system can't handle it.

My experience is a bit different.

Running AS4 along with SF and overcast conditions in Florida( using VR ) and the 1024 textures I was frightened looking up at the skies and really started questioning myself whether I wanted to take off.In the air I was making conscious decisions to fly away from those clouds out of fear.

I have never had those visceral feelings before and am so glad I bought SF after getting the info from reading all the posts here.

It's added a realism that works for me

Jay

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, B777ER said:

Losing 10 to 12 frames in the overcast. Not a penalty I'm willing to pay.

I fully understand your approach, Eric. I agree that eye-candies should have only a marginal performance hit, if any. I have not yet encountered any FPS impact of SF, but reading about your experience makes me cautious.

Actually, I have a suspicion. AS16 always had an option to enhance overcast. This doubled overcast cloud layers. I don't see this option in AS16 anymore, but I believe that the technique is still implemented. REX says that "Current weather engines on the market are forced to synthesize multiple overcast layers to try and mask holes present within their flawed overcast model system. In most cases these ‘workarounds’ destroy FPS in dense cloud cover. Full overcast in our new modeling system has been achieved. No gaps are noticeable in full overcast conditions at any level."

Does it mean we now have redundant and unneeded artificial overcast layers generated by AS16? This seems to be the case and can be the reason for the performance impact. If it is true, then the combination of AS16+SF has its firs real flaw.

• Upvote 2

Roman Heriban
Prepar3D v4 | Windows 10 | 1080Ti & 8700K at 4800MHz
FSLabs A320, Active Sky + Sky Force 3D, MCE, PF3, ChasePlane, etc.

sbsim.com

Thanks for sharing the pictures. From all what I have seen so far, I do not see however a benefit in purchasing SF if one has already ASP4+ASCA+ENVTEX. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

3 hours ago, jkeye said:

My experience is a bit different.

Running AS4 along with SF and overcast conditions in Florida( using VR ) and the 1024 textures I was frightened looking up at the skies and really started questioning myself whether I wanted to take off.In the air I was making conscious decisions to fly away from those clouds out of fear.

I have never had those visceral feelings before and am so glad I bought SF after getting the info from reading all the posts here.

It's added a realism that works for me

Jay

for me, too !

And this performance issues are strange, because, I´m using default sync settings in the SF3D (texture resolution 1024) and I have much better performance compared to combination of AS with ASCA / ENVTEX or REX Softclouds ! I said strange, even the SF3D isn´t using multiple cloud layers to generate overcast layer ! (I mean I do not exact know how SF3D is doing this but it looks better and I have better performance). But that´s my impression !

Cheers !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

I find those "baby thunderstoms" absolutely ridiculous, but probably it is not a SF fault, I think that at the moment it doesn't exist a flight sim with a believable sky, light and clouds above 30.000ft.

• Upvote 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

41 minutes ago, AUA425 said:

for me, too !

And this performance issues are strange, because, I´m using default sync settings in the SF3D (texture resolution 1024) and I have much better performance compared to combination of AS with ASCA / ENVTEX or REX Softclouds ! I said strange, even the SF3D isn´t using multiple cloud layers to generate overcast layer ! (I mean I do not exact know how SF3D is doing this but it looks better and I have better performance). But that´s my impression !

Cheers !

I find performance issues strange also. On a flight last night I was thinking if SF is using new struchers I wonder what effect AS clouds layers has? In 3.4 I used 3 layers. In v4.1 I used 3 again, but when I started using SF I set it back to default 5. In flight last night I turned it up to 10, no impact or difference in looks. Turned it upto max 20 layers, still no impact or difference in looks. It might be it did not need anymore than 5 or SF does not need its layers?, I don't know but I have now left it at 10 layers and will see.

What SF has bought that I have not seen when using AS+ASCA for the last year is CB and skies that can look very dark/stormy and foreboding. With SF enhanced overcast you get a new level of being under an overcast sky that AS+ASCA never brought to us. Also For the first time ever with so little impact on FPS I can run with AS cloud draw at 140 min 250 max. I have yet to see FPS drop below my locked 25fps even when overcast has gone to the horizon all round at FL300+ 250 nm. Perhaps if people what to see 50 fps and then see 45 or 40 then they dont like it but as long as I can keep  25 all the time I will take all the eye candy I can get.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

28 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

It might be it did not need anymore than 5 or SF does not need its layers?

I think indeed that the number you can set is the maximum amount of layers that AS will use for weather. But usually you don't have that many layers. On a clear sky with no clouds you can set AS to 20 layers and you won't notice any performance loss. :tongue: But if the weather actually calls for 20 layers, your performance will drop like a bomb for sure. I have the impression that usually AS uses just a few layers: having 10 layers or more in the sim won't happen that often, I think.

And SF doesn't need anything in this regard: it uses whatever is there in the sim.

BTW I moved up from my usualy 512 to 1024 and I have to say those clouds look wonderful out there...! I am getting more and more happy with SF (and ASCA/ENVTEX skies)!