Sign in to follow this  
sbs9

REX SKY FORCE 3D + HiFi AS16 after ten routine flights

19 minutes ago, J van E said:

BTW I moved up from my usualy 512 to 1024 and I have to say those clouds look wonderful out there...! I am getting more and more happy with SF (and ASCA/ENVTEX skies)!

Did you see any performance hit with 1024 over 512? Are you still using DTX5 also?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

What SF has bought that I have not seen when using AS+ASCA for the last year is CB and skies that can look very dark/stormy and foreboding. With SF enhanced overcast you get a new level of being under an overcast sky that AS+ASCA never brought to us. Also For the first time ever with so little impact on FPS I can run with AS cloud draw at 140 min 250 max. I have yet to see FPS drop below my locked 25fps even when overcast has gone to the horizon all round at FL300+ 250 nm. Perhaps if people what to see 50 fps and then see 45 or 40 then they dont like it but as long as I can keep  25 all the time I will take all the eye candy I can get.

+ 1 ! sorry for the bad resolution - have to edit the photos (5760x1080@default)

a77ea296b2_album.jpg

798e94ad15_album.jpg

7cb755e8d1_album.jpg

0b4fea4dd7_album.jpg

4719c04996_album.jpg

• Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

38 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Did you see any performance hit with 1024 over 512? Are you still using DTX5 also?

Not yet but the weather was quite calm during my last flight and I've only done one flight yet. And yes, I am using DTX5. So far so good, though.

15 minutes ago, AUA425 said:

0b4fea4dd7_album.jpg

Stunning love the dark foreboding look we can get.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Nice post about SF and AS. At first, I thought it was pretty much a rip off for SF because I couldn’t see anything groundbreaking about it. I was and still am a bit disappointed in how you can see those spinning clouds. But after doing several flights, I am starting to enjoy it. Even though there technology is groundbreaking, they are still severely limited as to what they can to by P3D itself. While LM has been slowing upgrading P3D, the core of the sim is still based on FSX and very old coding. I think the REX team could do a lot more with a new sim because of the new technologies that are out there. For now, I completely agree with you that AS engine and SF textures are the way to go. I think for me, the greatest issue I have with SF right now is the redraw and weather injects. It’s like the weather literally changes every 15 min with types of clouds, if it is raining or not, and other stuff. Yeah, it is easy for us in the community to be nit picky because things don’t look a certain way, but trying to find the best alternative on what to use is part of the fun too. 

• Upvote 1

P3D v4, REX SF3D, AS16, ENVTex, PTA 2.60, FSDT KDFW, KLAS, KLAX, KORD, KJFK, KSFD, KIAH, KMEM, KCLT FlightBeam KDEN, KIAD, KPHX, KSFO, KMSP

ASUS Z97 Pro + Wifi, Intel i7 4990k 4.0GHz, EVGA NVidia 970 4GB DDR5, Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400, Samsung SSD 850 250GB, 2x Acer 32" Monitor

10 hours ago, J van E said:

Nice! Would you mind sharing the texture sets you are using ? Clouds, sun, sky, etc.

Jeroen, I set different sky and sun textures for each flight. Cloud textures and structures should be changed dynamically by SF during the flight.

5 hours ago, rampa said:

I find those "baby thunderstoms" absolutely ridiculous, but probably it is not a SF fault, I think that at the moment it doesn't exist a flight sim with a believable sky, light and clouds above 30.000ft.

16 hours ago, pracines said:

Can anybody show us anything different/groundbreaking/revolutionary/totally transforming about skyforce....

No, I don't think SF is revolutionary. It's "just" an evolution. As rampa says, the simulator seems to be the limit and problems in other areas (i.e. dynamic lighting, disappearing shadows, blurry photo textures) show, that this limit will probably permit very few "revolutions", if any. 

Anyhow, SF gives me some clearly visible improvements, e.g. the highest variety of clouds I've ever seen, much bigger size of cloud structures, "cauliflower" clouds, horizon that blends with sky and clouds, or a strongly shining sun.

• Upvote 1

Roman Heriban
Prepar3D v4 | Windows 10 | 1080Ti & 8700K at 4800MHz
FSLabs A320, Active Sky + Sky Force 3D, MCE, PF3, ChasePlane, etc.

sbsim.com

3 hours ago, b757 said:

For now, I completely agree with you that AS engine and SF textures are the way to go.

We can only hope that the two companies will not fortify the barriers or even create new ones. 

Folks, what do you think about those doubled overcast layers? Does AS16 create them? If it does, performance with SF cloud textures and structures can suffer as well as visuals. REX clearly states that SF is not made for multiple overcast layers as it does not need them.

Roman Heriban

sbsim.com

1 hour ago, sbs9 said:

No, I don't think SF is revolutionary. It's "just" an evolution. As rampa says, the simulator seems to be the limit and problems in other areas (i.e. dynamic lighting, disappearing shadows, blurry photo textures) show, that this limit will probably permit very few "revolutions", if any. 

Hi Roman,

So many had high hopes with skyforce, and who knows, rex may yet redeem themselves, I hope they do.

Yes we know there is no revolution, so essentially you are saying that there are plain lies in the skyforce manual, because the skyforce manual plainly states on page 3: 

"Sky Force 3D is a complete overhaul of the
weather and environmental experience while
bringing dimension to FSX, FSX Steam, and
Prepar3D v1, 2, 3 and 4."

The manual goes into some detail about how it accomplishes this. But I have not seen evidence of anything of the sort. A complete overhaul, is a revolution whether anybody wants to believe that or not.  

Page 4 of the manual goes on to claim that skyforce corrects the problem of misrepresentation of real world cloud classification. Really? I have not seen such a thing in any screen shot or vid that ASP4 + ASCA has not accomplished. Not even 1 of your screenshots show any more variety of clouds then I have seen with ASP4/ASCA.   

This is why I'm here asking for proof of these claims, since several people have defended skyforce, I ask them to defend not with descriptions, or claims of satisfaction, but with proof of these claims in the manual. This is very important for the future of flight simulation, because if we just settle for hype that is false, and reward companies that do not deliver what they claim, we remain more stagnant in that (most important) area of development.

I want Hi Fi to have healthy competition to push forward to them real world cloud classifications and types. But Hi Fi need not worry at all about skyforce. Yes skyforce has some nice textures, but so did rex essential (cauliflower clouds n all) .....nothing new, actually quite old. What's new is that rex made some nice new textures that play better with Active Sky, but they charged you for a weather engine that fails badly, and they said they intend to charge you again for a weather engine; though they may just have to make that new weather engine free of charge. 

If no proof of what is claimed in the manual can be provided, then my statement is true; ASP4 + ASCA is just as good. Because with ASP4 + ASCA we have seen full and deep overcast, violent looking/feeling thunderstorms, visibility smoothing, many cloud layers built with diversity and as good as it can be with 3 cloud types in the sim.

For the record, I want rex to succeed.

I'm not looking for an argument or fight, I'm just looking for proof of what is stated in the manual....anybody?

• Upvote 3

Paul - Fair enough you have that opinion, but it's just that. The cloud structures and types are the key to the product, and that's what makes it a revolution to me in my personal opinion whatever your definition is. Sure it's no French Revolution, it's not some overthrow of a government because it's still under the limits of P3D, but all things considered it's literally a complete overhaul in all literal ways of the P3D cloud structuring. If you're not going to accept that they literally re-did the cloud structuring then obviously you're 100% not interested in Sky Force nor REX, and you'll just have to settle with it. The evidence is there but your own personal taste doesn't like the product so therefore you disagree. There are those of us who look at those words, look at Sky Force, and are like "wow this is a revolution". Is that ok if we have those differing opinions? Is it ok if I can have the opinion that REX's marketing isn't false hype? Is that ok? Or do I have to have the same opinion as you?

Sure Active Sky have done something similar, just in a different way. You go and spend some time enjoying Active Sky and those of us that are impressed by Sky Force can go and enjoy that. We can healthily agree to disagree. You were expecting something more with all the hype and big words and you were disappointed, you've said that in every thread about SF. I expected a complete overhaul of P3D cloud structuring and that's what I got, plus some nice sky textures and PTA presets which keep me from buying ENVTEX.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sbs9 said:

We can only hope that the two companies will not fortify the barriers or even create new ones. 

Folks, what do you think about those doubled overcast layers? Does AS16 create them? If it does, performance with SF cloud textures and structures can suffer as well as visuals. REX clearly states that SF is not made for multiple overcast layers as it does not need them.

AS16 and AS for P3d version 4.x do not create multiple overcast layers. This was an option only back in ASN but is not needed since we introduced ASCA overcast models so it's disabled by default.

• Upvote 2

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

2 hours ago, pracines said:

essentially you are saying that there are plain lies in the skyforce manual

Paul, I understand that the competition on a market of this size is tough, but please be so kind and don't adjust my words for your needs ;)

We live in a marketing world. We hear and read about revolutionary, fantastic and must-have products a hundred times a day. I wonder if anyone still believes that advertising doesn't exaggerate. I had read Sky Force manual before I bought the product and my expectations are fulfilled, period.

Gents, try to think positively, please. What you see as a threat could easily be an opportunity. Cooperation gives sometimes more profit than competition. I am absolutely sure that sales of both HiFi and REX would grow if they concentrate on their strengths and realise that coding the best weather engine requires different skills than painting the best looking textures. I like both companies and will always happily buy their add-ons. Just always let your products work together, please, in a congenial synergy.

• Upvote 2

Roman Heriban

sbsim.com

17 minutes ago, kterz said:

AS16 and AS for P3d version 4.x do not create multiple overcast layers. This was an option only back in ASN but is not needed since we introduced ASCA overcast models so it's disabled by default.

That's perfect, thank you for the information, Kostas! 

Roman Heriban

sbsim.com

7 hours ago, sbs9 said:

Gents, try to think positively, please. What you see as a threat could easily be an opportunity. Cooperation gives sometimes more profit than competition. I am absolutely sure that sales of both HiFi and REX would grow if they concentrate on their strengths and realise that coding the best weather engine requires different skills than painting the best looking textures. I like both companies and will always happily buy their add-ons. Just always let your products work together, please, in a congenial synergy.

I couldn't agree more.

I guess the vast majority of users will agree that for years REX are producing by far the best cloud textures whereas HIFI are offering the best weather engine.

Instead of trying to compete with the other's domain they both should focus on what they can do best and cooperate with each other to make their products blend in perfectly with each other.

Lately we have seen MCE and PF3 cooperate to make their products work together even better than before (the First Officer of MCE can now communicate with the ATC by PF3) to the benefit of all.

I wish both REX and HIFI would put their strengths in what they can do best and to make their products work together perfectly - to the benefit of all: the users and both developers.

• Upvote 1

So nice running into CB

Of the coast of LEBL this morning

CB.jpg 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, kterz said:

Looking forward to your 2018 release. 😉

Eric