Sign in to follow this  
flyblueskies

[DISCUSSION] REX Sky Force 3D with Active Sky, ASCA, ENVTEX: tutorial

10 minutes ago, tecto said:

1. I understand that when I want to use real weather from ASP4 the only themes, which I can use are "Full Dynamics" and "Global Automatic". Is that right?

NO, you can choose whichever you want BUT if you want  textures updating on the fly, you need either FD or GA.

12 minutes ago, tecto said:

2. Should I have both ASP4 and ASCA run in the background during my flight?

Yes - you need both active for FD/GA.

12 minutes ago, tecto said:

3. I've noticed that most of the ENVTEX users have unchecked the "Sky Colors" option in the "Enabled Content" options in ASCA. What is the purpose of that?

Allows you to turn on and off specific features to your liking. Some people prefer Envtex sky colors to ASCA, others no so you have the choice per your liking.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Ok now it's more clear.
But I understand that when I will set ENVTEX "ASCA Integration" option to "ENVTEX textures only" it will make no difference what I will set in ASCA - since it will be not used. Is that right?

To be honest, I'm not sure about that. But I believe ASCA will use Envtex clouds in that case. Might best be asked of the Envtex folks.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

4 hours ago, tecto said:

Ok now it's more clear.
But I understand that when I will set ENVTEX "ASCA Integration" option to "ENVTEX textures only" it will make no difference what I will set in ASCA - since it will be not used. Is that right?

If you UNCHECK "Sky Colors" in ASCA, you will ONLY see the last sky texture inserted into the sim.  You MUST check Sky Colors and be running Full Dynamics or Global Auto theme if you want to see the sky colors change during your flight.  There is a very easy way to see what is loaded in the sim from ASCA.  When you launch the ASCA GUI, look at the bottom center and you will see exactly what textures are being used.  It will tell you Theme = xx Sky = xx  Cirrus = xx Cloud =xx.

For example, my GUI shows  Last Activated Theme = Full Dynamics Sky = ENVTEX 35 Cirrus = None Clouds = None  

This is normal because I have the Cirrus, Cloud Textures, and Cloud Structures UNCHECKED.  My cirrus and clouds are being injected by Sky Force, so ASCA does not inject their own clouds.

If you only want ENVTEX sky textures, you need to set that in ENVTEX under ASCA integration settings in the ENVTEX GUI.

• Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

17 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Yes - you need both active for FD/GA.

However, if you start ASP4 it will automatically load ASCA in the background: you may not see it in the taskbar (I don't) but I do see it popup for a second as soon as I start ASP4. So you do not need to manually start ASCA also.

16 hours ago, tecto said:

Ok now it's more clear.

In addition to what vcarlo said: after installing the ENVTEX sky textures into ASCA, as you apparently did already, you will have to enable the ASCA sky color option otherwise no ASCA/ENVTEX sky textures will be used. 

11 hours ago, vcarlo said:

If you only want ENVTEX sky textures, you need to set that in ENVTEX under ASCA integration settings in the ENVTEX GUI.

This is what I´m using at the moment. I have excluded ASCA from starting by renaming the asca.exe file. This info was from the REX support forum. I am quite happy with this, as it changed my sim more smooth.

Tapani Österberg

2 minutes ago, Virtpilot said:

This is what I´m using at the moment. I have excluded ASCA from starting by renaming the asca.exe file. This info was from the REX support forum. I am quite happy with this, as it changed my sim more smooth.

That is fine as long as you accept the fact your sky colors are NOT going to change during your flight. The sky texture you last installed will be displayed until you exit flight sim and install a new one. If you choose this method, you may prefer to use the SF sky textures vs ENVTEX as the choices in SF are more varied and easier to choose.

WAT1460.png

Finally installed again ASCA and selected only skies.

Global Automatic skies in ASCA, REX SKY Force clouds, REX Texture 4 Direct and ASP4 weather engine P3Dv4 looks great now. I like the colors now and the clouds structure is incredible.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Xiropillo

5 hours ago, Xiropillo said:

Global Automatic skies in ASCA, REX SKY Force clouds, REX Texture 4 Direct and ASP4 weather engine P3Dv4 looks great now. I like the colors now and the clouds structure is incredible.

Xiropillo

You're welcome. And you might want to edit your signature because Photobucket doesn't allow 3rd party hosting with a free account and we all get to see a GIGANTIC ad for Photobucket whenever you post... :happy:

2 hours ago, J van E said:

You're welcome. And you might want to edit your signature because Photobucket doesn't allow 3rd party hosting with a free account and we all get to see a GIGANTIC ad for Photobucket whenever you post... :happy:

I thought it was spam only in my computer. I will have a look and check how to remove it. I suppose here it goes again... Sorry

2 minutes ago, Xiropillo said:

I thought it was spam only in my computer. I will have a look and check how to remove it. I suppose here it goes again... Sorry

Now should be removed. I don't understand how it was added there. 

7 hours ago, Xiropillo said:

Xiropillo

If you are using ASCA for sky textures, why do you need REX 4 TD?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

4 minutes ago, DJJose said:

If you are using ASCA for sky textures, why do you need REX 4 TD?

For the water, runways and taxiways.

I just installed REX, and have to say... the weather engine is disappointing. Thanks to OP for the info.

Maybe the next Active Sky can crush it with better clouds and colors.. runing just one program instead of three seems better (and cheaper).

If i want to change my cloud detail/resolution which programme's settings do i change, sky force or cloud art?