Sign in to follow this  
charlie130

Dambusters raid a modern recreation

I recently came across the exact route taken by the navigator of AJ-J, a Lancaster of 617 Squadron, which flew in the Dambusters raid in 1943.

So armed with P3dv4 and a modern combat aircraft I set about a movie. 

A warning, this is not for entertainment, but popcorn may be eaten whilst watching!:biggrin:

Best regards

• Upvote 3

Excellent flight! Superbug looks amazing. Thank you for sharing. One F-18, 3 dams, simples!:cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Why weren't you flying at 50ft and why weren't you flying in moonlight and why weren't you flying a lanc?

All of this can be done. The routes can be downloaded from avsim. As can the aircraft. Then fly at 50ft all the way there and back and discover what a challenge that was.

• Upvote 1

I suppose a moonlit flight may not show up too well for video purposes. 50 ft off the deck without autopilot would be a great challenge even with any flak modelled, and at the slower speeds of the Lanc. :blink:

It was still entertaining to watch IMHO.

Me? I'd go the boring route: Park a boomer in the North Sea (A Royal Navy Vanguard nuke boat for example), or better still the Atlantic, and lob 3 missiles out of it. Or a Trafalgar class with TLAMs on board..

Back home for tea, biscuits and flightsims... :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

5 hours ago, vololiberista said:

Why weren't you flying at 50ft and why weren't you flying in moonlight and why weren't you flying a lanc?

All of this can be done. The routes can be downloaded from avsim. As can the aircraft. Then fly at 50ft all the way there and back and discover what a challenge that was.

Your questions are pleasingly pertinent and a temptation for others to try in the simulator! A part of the reason for showing it on You Tube! The other reason is in the introduction.

One can fly at 50', in moonlight. That's the way it was done and the best way to do it in the Simulator, whether in a Superbug or a Lancaster. However as Mark said, for viewing on You Tube, you would see nothing at all except brown smudges of landscape and the HUD and view from the  FLIR and NV goggles which are also featured in the VRS Superbug. I wished to show something of the route, which was unique to this one particular aircraft, AJ-J.  At night the mission becomes spectacularly more difficult, but most flyers will know that. 

The route I used was from Vivian Nicholson's navigator logs and not from Avsim. Hence the reference to AJ-J, which was his aircraft and was the Hornet tail reg used in the movie. The uniqueness of this route should be apparent!

So yes indeed, this mission is asking to be flown at very low level at night and with a full moon. It's one of the most fulfilling experiences, just to stay alive!

One issue I had was the unavailability of a Lancaster for P3dv4. So again, it was a spur to the devs out there to make a good Lancaster for P3dv4.  If someone with C++ coding skills can integrate TacPack into a Lancaster simulation and fit an Upkeep in the bomb bay, I'd pay twice for it!:biggrin:

But we all know that's not likely to happen, this is a niche within a niche market.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

It's something that could and should be done in DCS

With other participants flying with you and yet others trying to shoot you down!!

On 1/14/2018 at 8:39 AM, vololiberista said:

It's something that could and should be done in DCS

With other participants flying with you and yet others trying to shoot you down!!

We have very little hope of a Lancaster appearing in DCS, they don't cover Germany either!

More chance in P3d but A2A are dragging their heels about any conversions of their existing B-17 to 64 bit?

Anyway, here's the night version in the F/A 18E. (I wanted to do this in the JF Tornado, but they messed up the 64 bit version and the only other Tonka by SSW has strange necessity for open firewall permissions....totally unnecessary!

Best regards

• Upvote 1