Sign in to follow this  
wrap23

Can someone please teach me to taxi?!

I’ve flown numerous aircraft ranging from 3,000 to 650,000 lbs but I can’t accurately taxi anything in P3D! I overcontrol all the time. I’m using CHProducts pro rudders. I watch videos and the folks making them do an excellent job taxiing! How is it done? Special software, extra servos or with rudder pedals and special calibration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m an old dog but I’m bound to be able to learn this trick!

Many thanks,

Don

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

Hi Don,

Long time CH Products user - I have the pedals - first off I can't sit comfortably at my desk and use them - secondly - they are so much harder to taxi with than real rudder pedals in an aircraft - hence mine are unplugged and gathering dust... 

I have the CH Pro Throttle as well - and the "micro stick" under your thumb works far far far better as a rudder input... Taxi's are as smooth as silk... I've been using it for decades and LOL - no - I don't get mixed up when I get in a real aircraft...

:tongue:

pro-throttle-2dxp.jpg

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Can't  stand CH pedals

i have saitek combat pro - not real - but the best budget ones

Anyway - if you're using default P3D try setting a Null zone of 10.  Other than that I've got toe brakes set and I agree the ground physics aren't great - but use minimal input but you'll have to lead the turn in my opinion.  Sometimes I gently tap my toe brakes too to help with a correction.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I use CH rudders and mostly have no issues. There are occasional models that are touchy but for the most part all are ok. 

Play with the sensitivity and dead zone settings in P3D - this has a major imact on over controlling.

If you are using a weather program, see if they have a setting related to ground wind - FSX and P3D are both very sensitive to wind while taxiing.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It is generally harder to taxi with some hardware than others.  I bought a set of MFG Crosswind pedals to replace my Saitek pedals and because they have a much higher input resolution taxiing instantly became a bit easier.

If that’s not an option, you’ve already touched on one issue to be aware of, over correcting.  Unless you’re making a tight , 90 degree turn you should not normally fully deflect your rudder pedals while taxiing.  That’s a hard habit to break.

The other thing to be aware of is speed.  Because there’s no real sensation of speed when simming it’s very easy to end up going faster than you think. That makes for messy taxiing, both in turns and straightline.  A good rule of thumb in an airliner is no faster than 10kts in a 90 degree turn or close to it.  I think 20 kts is a reasonable maximum straightline, though perhaps you can get away with a bit faster on a long straight under the right conditions.  Use breakaway thrust to get going, small inputs once you’re moving.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

In my realsize 737–800 cockpit I have a steering tiller.

Steering is easier and more accurate done by hand.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

I bought a set of MFG Crosswind pedals

Where did you source them? I have not found a USA source.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, wrap23 said:

I’ve flown numerous aircraft ranging from 3,000 to 650,000 lbs but I can’t accurately taxi anything in P3D! I overcontrol all the time. I’m using CHProducts pro rudders. I watch videos and the folks making them do an excellent job taxiing! How is it done? Special software, extra servos or with rudder pedals and special calibration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m an old dog but I’m bound to be able to learn this trick!

Many thanks,

Don

Are you using FSUIPC? If so. check for any conflict in P3D settings. Just a thought. I have found other issues with my controls were due to duplicate settings in the sim and in addons.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, wrap23 said:

As G. said above many large aircraft have a tiller for ground steering.  Rudder isn't used nor very effective as I understand real-world ops.  To simulate this, I use the keypad shortcuts (0 or Ins, and Enter) for taxiing a tiller-equipped aircraft.

For aircraft without a tiller I use Saitek rudder pedals.  It's not the greatest, but I can usually control it ok.  Sometimes it is tricky on takeoff with prop torque in a single though.  Or it could be the wind as was said.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Another happy MFG Crosswind user, working as well today as they did about four years ago when I got them.

RE Thomason Jr.

I would second the use of a paid, registered version of FSUIPC.  In it you can change the sensitivity curve of each axis.  I also have the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. With FSUIPC controlling the sensitivity, I’m able to do a reasonable job of taxiing.  

5 hours ago, fppilot said:

Where did you source them? I have not found a USA source.

I bought them direct from the manufacturer and they were shipped to me here in Canada.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I use the proportional rocker switch on my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS - X setup to good effect.In addition I use the differential braking keys on the number pad too.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

+1 for MFG pedals. Only thing better would be the commercial grade pedals, of which there are several, but cost is in the $1000's range. I'd love to have a set of the Brunners, but can't justify the cost, especially considering how well the MFG's work.

As ncngrr mentions..."I would second the use of a paid, registered version of FSUIPC.  In it you can change the sensitivity curve of each axis."...and I would add that you can adjust the sensitivity slope (which I am using) to change the pedal throw at the ends of the pedal, travel range. By lowering the slope of the pedal range closest to center, it makes initiating turns much smoother and eliminates that initial over-turn.

It took some time to talk myself into the MFG's, as they aren't inexpensive, but I finally got tired of fighting what you describe.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

2 hours ago, regis9 said:

I bought them direct from the manufacturer and they were shipped to me here in Canada.

Thanks for that info. where are they were located?  Not obvious!

Frank Patton
ASUS