Sign in to follow this  
wrap23

Can someone please teach me to taxi?!

38 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Thanks for that info. where are they were located?  Not obvious!

Crotia...shipping is 55 euros to the US, I had to pay 65 euros as unfortunately Canada is lumped in with "rest of the world" rather than the US for shipping rates.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

20 minutes ago, regis9 said:

shipping is 55 euros to the US

Absolute deal breaker. they need to establish a more local source. The price+ shipping increment does not justify the performance increment!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I think given that it's basically one person in Croatia that builds these you'll be paying for them to get get shipped across the Atlantic even if you bought it locally.  To each their own, but it's well worth it IMHO.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

For years I had difficulty taxiing. Than I converted a Nascar racing (steering) wheel into a tiller. It makes a world of a difference to have a tiller setup with FSUIPC!

I also build a set off A320 rudder pedals. With a good combination of tiller and rudder it almost feels and works like the real thing.

Cheers.

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Here is part of the code of the tiller from DMs Super VC10. It makes for very fine control and is so easy to do one is surprised that it is rarely done!

<Click Kind="LeftSingle+RightSingle+WheelDown+WheelUp">

(M:Event) 'LeftSingle' scmp 0 == if{ (A:GROUND VELOCITY, knots) 60 &lt; 1 (>L:steering_lock,bool) }

(M:Event) 'WheelDown' scmp 0 == if{ (A:GROUND VELOCITY, knots) 60 &lt; (L:steering_lock,bool) 1 == and
if{ (L:steering,number) 0.02268 + (>L:steering,number) (L:steering,number) + 16384 * (>K:RUDDER_SET) } }

(M:Event) 'RightSingle' scmp 0 == if{ 1 (>K:RUDDER_CENTER) 0 (>L:steering_lock,bool) 0 (>L:steering,number) }

(M:Event) 'WheelUp' scmp 0 == if{ (A:GROUND VELOCITY, knots) 60 &lt; (L:steering_lock,bool) 1 == and
if{ (L:steering,number) 0.02268 - (>L:steering,number) (L:steering,number) + 16384 * (>K:RUDDER_SET) } }
    </Click>

You can see that each "step" is only 0.02268 and that can be made finer or coarser. One just uses left click to initiate the tiller, the mouse wheel to steer and right click to centre the tiller.

1 hour ago, vololiberista said:

One just uses left click to initiate the tiller, the mouse wheel to steer and right click to centre the tiller.

sounds real to me .... but where do I put the mouse !

for now, cheers

john martin

After switching from CH to Saitek pedals I noticed improvement in taxiing.  However, I'm not convinced it's all in the pedals because some planes taxi pretty well whereas others are a real chore to taxi straight.  Don't know if there is something in the cfg that can be changed that will help.  After becoming airborne the rudder works fine on all planes - just taxi problems.

Jim

• Upvote 1

Been using CH pedals for around a decade, and have no problems with taxiing. Some aircraft are easier to taxi than others. Best for taxi is the Q400, hardest to taxi is the A2A Texan.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Another area to check if trying to taxi twin or multi is to make sure your throttle axis are even. With the trashy pots in our current saitek etc. it is easy to get to much or not enough power to one of the engines and it can turn into a circus ride real quick. I am in hopes of much better from Honeycomb in the next few weeks.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to purchase FSUIPC and try the advanced settings that were mentioned. I’m very familiar with a tiller. I wish the aircraft that have tillers were simulated with a tiller axis that could be assigned to a “micro stick” or similar. Since the aircraft don’t have this axis assignment available, it would be very cool to be able to work the rudder axis from a micro stick at slow speed and have control switch to the rudder pedals at 40-60 KIAS. This would be a more accurate way to simulate an airliner. Don’t know how that would be programmed but intuitively it seems like it would be possible.

Thanks again. Happy Flying!

Don

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

On 14/01/2018 at 11:32 AM, vadriver said:

sounds real to me .... but where do I put the mouse !

You would put the mouse over the tiller!! And as you move the mousewheel the tiller moves. Modern technology you know!!!

11 hours ago, wrap23 said:

....... could be assigned to a “micro stick” or similar. ............

don

I use a second Logitech 3DPRO's twist axis as the tiller .... my first / main 3DPRO is my sidestick / yoke (pitch/roll) with pedals for rudder.

for now, cheers

john martin

On 1/13/2018 at 8:48 PM, fppilot said:

The price+ shipping increment does not justify the performance increment!

If you don't have a set or used one you're simply not qualified to make this sort of assessment, it's simply your opinion; mine is that your sadly mistaken.

• Upvote 1

RE Thomason Jr.

22 minutes ago, Blaze said:

If you don't have a set or used one you're simply not qualified to make this sort of assessment, it's simply your opinion; mine is that your sadly mistaken.

No need to flame here.  My point is not about the pedals you use and I did not demean them in any way.  My statement was about the difference in value for the increment in price + shipping.

I have used four sets of pedals over the past 30 years beginning with early CH pedals, then a set of Thrustmaster pedals which were natural width and solid metal construction. Problem was though they were excellent they connected via a game port.  They pre-dated USB and a USB version was if I recall never made available. 

So back to a newer set of CH Pedals, which I always found were unnatural in dimension and operation. They were OK, but just OK. That until the brake functions started failing.  Forgot how many times I had to re-calibrate them by inserting different thicknesses of material during calibration.  Then the Saitek Pro Cessna Pedals came along.  Perfect, no! But with my experience I have them tuned to my liking and they are very very good.  Even though very good there is admittedly room from them to perfect.  The distance from what I have today to perfect is not of enough value to me to justify twice the outlay. To each his own on that.   In terms of my experience and the methods I use to judge price/value I am fully qualified.

My statement was about the increment, not the product.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank Sorry my reply may have seemed a bit curt. I've used Saitek pedals and twist joysticks before when my Saitek units failed I wanted to replace them with something better but there really was no intermediary between them and very expensive PFC units. That's when I found the MFG units being talked about at some of the air combat forums. They fit my requirements but I was leery about dealing with someone so far away however my purchase experience was exceptional. As far as service/support is concerned the bottom line is so long as Milan doesn't go out of business the MFG pedals should last a lifetime. There are no potentiometers to wear out and the electronics can be swapped out if there is an issue without replacing the physical unit. I did this on my set because I did not like the USB1 cable connector used on the original units  and the new software on the replacement card had some advantages. It took little time to realize these pedals are in a completely different class than anything I have previously used and I've had no, zero, zip, zilch, regret or buyer's remorse to this day.

To the OP's question, I don't think a set of MFG or higher quality pedals are required to taxi properly so no I would agree with you that it's not necessarily worth the cost if that's the only thing he's trying to improve on but, a good set of pedals will help in taxiing and all aspects of flying especially crosswind landings.

The price of purchasing and replacing Saitek and other units will offset the cost difference over time and you'll have a higher quality more precise unit all the while. There is a saying I heard somewhere that, "When you buy the best it only hurts once". I would not call the MFG units 'the best' there are other incredibly precise hydraulically dampened units at huge costs but I would say they likely have the best price/performance/value ratio of any pedals even after you including the shipping.

RE Thomason Jr.