Sign in to follow this  
in2tech

Apples and Aimee's Abandoned Baby Bear Mission is available for Friends on Steam.

Alright, it's time for the signature bear to return to a mission. The original idea is from Resort Supply in FSX and has been reimagined by Theo and myself for Flight Sim World. Pick up apples at Methow Valley and deliver them to Lost Valley Resort. After which time you fly through the mountain valley's to pick up an abandoned plane, that a pilot had ditched earlier. I think you will like this mission especially the last part after picking up the plane and flying back to Chelan!

For FRIEND's only as it is Beta on Steam! Let us know what you think and if we need to make adjustment's before general release!

• Upvote 2

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

Done. 

Anyone else having trouble accessing Avsim the past few days?  

Thanks!  Subscribed!  Looking forward to trying it out!

On 1/14/2018 at 1:42 PM, Griphos said:

Thanks!  Subscribed!  Looking forward to trying it out!

So what did you think about the mission? Should have been a few more updates to the mission since this original post. A little more testing and release to the general Steam Workshop area!

Sorry, we got an ice storm and I've just managed to finish dealing with the aftermath at my place, so no chance to fly it fully yet.  Will be able to do so after work tomorrow, I believe.  Looking forward to it.

I made the first leg to Methow Valley and the instructions worked well so far, but my map doesn't seem to work while in missions, and there's no GPS on the Cherokee, of course, so it was a bit hit and miss finding my way to Methow Valley.  I need to figure out why I couldn't pull up the map.  Also, Coms didn't work either.  I could tune, but never heard any audio for ATIS or even my own pilot's voice calling the pattern.  It's been a while since I've flown a mission, so I'm not sure if these issues are specific to missions.  I'll have time tomorrow to check it out on a regular free flight.  

It's nice to fly in that area.  I love the area, and the winter setting is nice (although that might be global season settings rather than mission settings).   

There are no towers at these airports - so nothing to hear.  ATIS for this is basically whatever KSEA puts out.  We semi-simulated a tower for Lake Chelan, though.  All of that is manually created dialog.  Also disabled AI traffic for those airports, so as not to create conflicts with the mission landings.  Kind of a pain to set dialogs properly when you have no idea what AI traffic will do.

As to Cherokee GPS - press Shift-1.

For a map, click where it says Default Nav in that GPS window, just below the CLR button.

Guys testing it somewhere else found issues with the last leg, so if you get there, please let us know what happens when picking up the Cub.

Okay, will do.  Work has been brutal this week, but I have the day off tomorrow.  I'll fly the rest of the legs.

As for ATC, I was trying to call out the pattern myself, and nothing happened.  I can' remember if that is the way it works generally in FSW, but I'm thinking I remember that it is.  Thanks for the other tips.  I enjoyed using pilotage, but it was a pain to have to back out to see the map.  I guess I could open skyvector on the ipad!  :-)

Unfortunately, the latest FSW update removed the GPS from the Cherokee.  I need to modify the mission to say just fly to the waypoint for the shortest route, instead of use the GPS.

However, if you want GPS back in the Cherokee, do the following:

1) Open the PA-46 panel.cfg in <wherever you installed steam>\steamapps\common\FSW\SimObjects\Airplanes\Piper_PA46\panel

2) Copy this section:

[Window Titles]
Window00=GNS430
Window01=GNS530

[Window00]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=256,128
window_size= 0.5
window_pos= 0.200, 0.200
visible=0
ident=GNS4301
render_d3d=1
use_emissive=1
gauge00=GNS430_d3d!GNS430_nc2_d3d,0,0,250,133

[Window01]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=520,378
window_size= 0.5
window_pos= 0.200, 0.200
visible=0
ident=GNS530
render_d3d=1
use_emissive=1
gauge00=GNS530_d3d!GPS_530_d3d,0,0,520,378

3) Open the panel.cfg in <wherever you installed steam>\steamapps\common\FSW\SimObjects\Airplanes\Piper_PA28\panel

Paste what was copied above into that panel.cfg before this line:

//-------------------------------------------------------- [VCockpit01]

4) Save

Also if you just want to make it simple press the U key and it will bring up the waypoints pointer to fly too and should bring up the distance in the compass to the next waypoint. This is the easiest way to fly the mission! And we took some liberties for sure, such as ATC through dialog, a fire station right next to a runway, cause I liked it. Anyway, it is a very fun mission to fly. And I think you will especially like the ending, I think! I do!

in2tech on Steam and FSW Break discord!

Thanks Theo,

It's interesting that the old FSx config files and entries still work on this new version of the old engine.  Seems a lot of legacy remains.  Still, I'm liking what I see lately.  The look of the wing of that Cherokee out the side window of the cockpit is pretty darned realistic, right down to the sun glinting off scratches.  Looks a lot like what I see out the window of the actual thing.  Pretty impressive for this old engine.  

I'll post a report after my flight today.  Just waiting for some file transfers to my new myBook external hard drive to finish up to free up the CPU headroom.  

All of that graphics stuff - looking out the window, the clouds, soon to be dynamic weather - is completely new.  PBR 2.0 to be specific along with Simul's TrueSky.  Cockpits are completely re-done with 64-bit graphics, which is why, when importing FSX planes, gauges don't work - even though the text files for gauge placement look identical.

What's the same is alot of the basic stuff in text files that didn't really need to be changed.