Sign in to follow this  

Sky Force: credit where credit is due

11 hours ago, Noel said:

I'm still using REX Texture Direct and Essentials w/ Active Sky Next, and until someone figures how to get some real COLOR into clouds, like I see every day in the real world, I'm not seeing enough to change anything.   This IMO is the biggest deficiency by far in cloud textures and behaviors.  Beyond this, it's gotten quite decent, all except this is a glaringly missing piece.  From a few days ago here in Northern California.

IMG_2249.jpg

TrueSky could be the answer (of course the intensity of red is just a matter of tuning colors, since as you can see the shadow play is very similar to your pic):

xgrYLIf.jpg

cd9yzfa.jpg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

4 hours ago, Murmur said:

TrueSky could be the answer (of course the intensity of red is just a matter of tuning colors, since as you can see the shadow play is very similar to your pic):

xgrYLIf.jpg

cd9yzfa.jpg

Yes I agree it has potential thanks--it looks like something LM would have to purchase for P3D.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Yes I agree it has potential thanks--it looks like something LM would have to purchase for P3D.

I thought the same thing initially, but after using FSW (which has TrueSky), I really don't see that the advantages of it outweigh the performance hit if all the features are enabled to the max. Maybe the next generation of nVidia cards will change that.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I thought the same thing initially, but after using FSW (which has TrueSky), I really don't see that the advantages of it outweigh the performance hit if all the features are enabled to the max. Maybe the next generation of nVidia cards will change that.

Yes, easy to imagine how things ought to be, but that dang hardware holds it all back ;o)

Could be there's a smarter algorithm to apply to existing approaches to building believable skies that will allow programmers to to display colors like I am hoping for some day w/o the need for massive processing overhead.   It seems to me if I can see various shades of gray on the clouds I see now, adding color to them *should* be possible w/ very little penalty.   I guess TrueSky's approach to modeling clouds is fundamentally different, but apparently involves big processing overhead for this piece.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Had SF since day one but still no Wx engine.  What's the trick? (yes I read the documentation)

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

22 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Had SF since day one but still no Wx engine.  What's the trick? (yes I read the documentation)

Regards

bs

Someone mentioned having to select the rex weather theme in the p3d weather settings dialog to get his working.

Otherwise I assume you have installed outside the programs folder with firewall and av exclusions?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

15 hours ago, GSalden said:

I am very happy for you all guys , but imho from all screenshots I have seen nothing beats the ASP4 + ASCA + EnvTex combo regarding matching the real world weather look ( looking outside the window )...

Enjoy :laugh:

Well I actually agree and I ddn't see the following with the SF + ASP4 combo in all the shots plus not seen on youtube stuff:

calvus rain shaft
Tornado / funnel
Visible wall cloud
Visible rain shaft
Roll clouds

etc...

• Upvote 2

André

15 hours ago, GSalden said:

I am very happy for you all guys , but imho from all screenshots I have seen nothing beats the ASP4 + ASCA + EnvTex combo regarding matching the real world weather look ( looking outside the window )...

I also have ASP4 + ASCA.

SF3D looks a little better in some of the pictures than my setup (especially @Neptune pics).

How do you use EnvTex to enhance the Hifi combo? Can you use envtex with hifi automatically (dynamic loading)?

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

Regards

bs

mB7k28u.png

17 hours ago, GSalden said:

++

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

1 hour ago, onebob said:

mB7k28u.png

No cigar or P3D4 crashes out.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I bought SF3D last Thursday and I haven't been able to proceed past Step 1 - Registration screen. I wrote to their support and on their forum in a thread with the similar problem that came up with the latest update as I understand..

So no credit from me.

Annoying, isn't it?

I am really on the fence with this one. Having watched some Youtube videos and they really are very good looking stuff indeed. My main question and concern is: how is the performance compared to the ASCA clouds? Especially in thick clouds and overcast situations. At the moment I´m using 512 dxt ASCA clouds and I´m quite happy with them.

Regards

Virtpilot 

Tapani Österberg

13 hours ago, awf said:

Well I actually agree and I ddn't see the following with the SF + ASP4 combo in all the shots plus not seen on youtube stuff:

calvus rain shaft
Tornado / funnel
Visible wall cloud
Visible rain shaft
Roll clouds

etc...

What I want to see too - So far I havn't seen anything that the marketing blurb from REX was depicting. Was it all 'enhanced' in the post processing....? I am happy if people can prove this skepticism completely wrong with awesome footage like REX shows in the promo vides!

2 hours ago, Virtpilot said:

I am really on the fence with this one. Having watched some Youtube videos and they really are very good looking stuff indeed. My main question and concern is: how is the performance compared to the ASCA clouds? Especially in thick clouds and overcast situations. At the moment I´m using 512 dxt ASCA clouds and I´m quite happy with them.

Regards

Virtpilot 

2 Users on here report a performance hit with overcast. B77ER (Eric) and another guy, forget his name. No other reports on here i can remember.. I have found that unlike when running ASCA skies or using Rex soft clouds I can now run AS with cloud draw set to 140 min and max cloud draw set to the max 250 nm. Even with full overcast my fps never drop below my locked 25. So I find performance very good, I dont get more fps than before I just seem to not lose any that's worth talking about even with extreme settings.

The vis this day was good and looking towards the UK at FL300+ you can see clouds draw out to the horizon. You can even see the curve of the earth! drawn with clouds.

15 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

How do you use EnvTex to enhance the Hifi combo? Can you use envtex with hifi automatically (dynamic loading)?

This is not a guide on Envtex but just how to use ASCA+Envtex for dynamic skies.

As for people drawing conclusion from screenshots. That's fine, but seeing it on your own screen is a different matter. Coming from ASCA>ASCA+ Envtex>ASCA+rex soft clouds. AS+SF is a new level. That opinion is from first hand experience not formed from screenshots. Also if I have found AS+ASCA to be better I would have bins SF and gone back to ASCA and that would have been that. Would not have been the first time i've given something a try and bined it after seeing it for myself. 

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip