Sign in to follow this  

Sky Force: credit where credit is due

6 minutes ago, daelight said:

What I want to see too - So far I havn't seen anything that the marketing blurb from REX was depicting. Was it all 'enhanced' in the post processing....? I am happy if people can prove this skepticism completely wrong with awesome footage like REX shows in the promo vides!

It depends whether the METAR data string depicts weather where those met displays are appropriate.  You won't just find tornados and rain shafts randomly

19 minutes ago, daelight said:

What I want to see too - So far I havn't seen anything that the marketing blurb from REX was depicting. Was it all 'enhanced' in the post processing....? I am happy if people can prove this skepticism completely wrong with awesome footage like REX shows in the promo vides!

Perhaps them condition are not easy to find and are few and far apart.?

You don't mention the one that is common and that's CB and many screenshot have been posted showing them. Iput one up on the first page of this topic. I don't remember seeing any CB in all the time I use ASCA+ any other package. Now I have  done 4 flights that I ran into CB and they alone bring a "better not go there" to weather. But hey....when I do run into rolling clouds etc i will post. Don't recall seeing your list IRL also with the countless flights I have been on. But then I only fly round euro.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

16 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I can now run AS with cloud draw set to 140 min and max cloud draw set to the max 250 nm. Even with full overcast my fps never drop below my locked 25.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming from ASCA>ASCA+ Envtex>ASCA+rex soft clouds. AS+SF is a new level. That's a first hand experience not from screenshots.

Forgot to ask, what is your max/min visibility setting btw?

And you don't want to use Envtex/ASCA sky textures only anymore like it was discussed before? Is there a specific reason like some malfunction for it?

Did you try 1024 clouds instead of 5dx compression as suggested by somebody?

Thanks!

Does REX Sky Force have a lot of sky texture sets? The thing I haven't seen yet in screenshots is those nice pink/orange/red dusk or dawn skies you sometimes get.

8 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Forgot to ask, what is your max/min visibility setting btw?

And you don't want to use Envtex/ASCA sky textures only anymore like it was discussed before? Is there a specific reason like some malfunction for it?

Did you try 1024 clouds instead of 5dx compression as suggested by somebody?

Thanks!

upper vis is set to 199 so it users what is reported. It's a misleading setting as last week the UK was as clear as I have ever seen it with no clouds/clear skies I google earth the distance I was seeing and it was closer to 270-280 nm from FL380.

Yes I do use ASCA +Envtex for skies. I don't know why you thought not?

I am still using DTX5 +512 for max performance. Not tried 1024 like J is now using yet.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

42 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

2 Users on here report a performance hit with overcast. B77ER (Eric) and another guy, forget his name. No other reports on here i can remember.. I have found that unlike when running ASCA skies or using Rex soft clouds I can now run AS with cloud draw set to 140 min and max cloud draw set to the max 250 nm. Even with full overcast my fps never drop below my locked 25. So I find performance very good, I dont get more fps than before I just seem to not lose any that's worth talking about even with extreme settings.

The vis this day was good and looking towards the UK at FL300+ you can see clouds draw out to the horizon. You can even see the curve of the earth! drawn with clouds.

This is not a guide on Envtex but just how to use ASCA+Envtex for dynamic skies.

As for people drawing conclusion from screenshots. That's fine, but seeing it on your own screen is a different matter. Coming from ASCA>ASCA+ Envtex>ASCA+rex soft clouds. AS+SF is a new level. That's opinion is from first hand experience not formed from screenshots. Also if I have found AS+ASCA to be better I would have bins SF and gone back to ASCA and that would have been that. Would not have been the first time i've given something a try and bined it after seeing it for myself. 

So you like the same look around you without Full Dynamics ?

It want the most realistic look , not having the most nice looking cloud models and pre chosen clouds textures ....

14 hours ago,  awf said

Well I actually agree and I ddn't see the following with the SF + ASP4 combo in all the shots plus not seen on youtube stuff:

calvus rain shaft
Tornado / funnel
Visible wall cloud
Visible rain shaft
Roll clouds

etc...”

Excactly what I mean....

Frankfurt%20-%20FTX%20Germany%20-%201%20

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

So you like the same look around you without Full Dynamics ?

It's not the same look at all Gerard or I would not be using it. So please don't say I like the same look when I would hate it if that was the case. SF new cloud structures are fantastic and need seeing within the sim. That comment was as silly as me saying to you " So you like ugly crude looking depictions?" Because that would not be the case would it.

I own and have used AS+ASCA for months and my opinion on it is first hand and if I felt that was the best I would be using it now and SF would have been deleted and I would not have any trouble doing so and I will do so if HiFi next step brings a new level or if anyone else's brings a new level. I found ASCA without Envtex to be crude and ugly. Adding Envtex adds a lot to it. SF imo brings an even better level than ASCA+Envtex. 

Personally I am less keen to bash a product untill I have tied it out myself. Try it then form a more informative rounded opinion having seen it yourself.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, GSalden said:

calvus rain shaft
Tornado / funnel
Visible wall cloud
Visible rain shaft
Roll clouds

I can't understand why people think that they should see some of these if they're not in the METAR that's being used.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

39 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

It's not the same look at all Gerard or I would not be using it. So please don't say I like the same look when I would hate it if that was the case. SF new cloud structures are fantastic and need seeing within the sim.

I own and have used AS+ASCA for months and my opinion on it is first hand and if I felt that was the best I would be using it now and SF would have been deleted and I would not have any trouble doing so and I will do so if HiFi next step brings a new level or if anyone else's brings a new level. I found ASCA without Envtex to be crude and ugly. Adding Envtex adds a lot to it. SF imo brings an even better level than ASCA+Envtex. 

Personally I am less keen to bash a product untill I have tied it out myself. Try it then form a more informative rounded opinion having seen it yourself.

You are having the same clouds textures for the same type of cloud around you now.

With Full Dynamics you had : up to 8 different clouds textures for the same type of cloud.....

It has nothing to do with bashing as I write no bad things about SF.

In real life , does every cloud around you have 100% the same texture ?

Of coarse not , every cloud is unique. But I like 8 different clouds textures over 1 ...

Btw : you are using ASP4 for engine ? Why not a REX engine ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

33 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Btw : you are using ASP4 for engine ? Why not a REX engine ?

Do you really need me to answer that? or was it just a very silly question? or are you now imply that AS+SF is so poor to you, I might as well us an inferior weather engine as well? So please explain that remark as you know I know how good AS weather engine is.

As for the rest all I will say is try it then see for yourself. 

As for

"It has nothing to do with bashing as I write no bad things about SF." O sorry I thought you said it gives the same look all around you. Imply you get the same look every time you fly. If that's not a put down what is? It was just a backhanded put down. Or saying because you have not seen a Tornado / funnel 

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

2 Users on here report a performance hit with overcast. B77ER (Eric) and another guy, forget his name. No other reports on here i can remember.. I have found that unlike when running ASCA skies or using Rex soft clouds I can now run AS with cloud draw set to 140 min and max cloud draw set to the max 250 nm. Even with full overcast my fps never drop below my locked 25. So I find performance very good, I dont get more fps than before I just seem to not lose any that's worth talking about even with extreme settings.

The vis this day was good and looking towards the UK at FL300+ you can see clouds draw out to the horizon. You can even see the curve of the earth! drawn with clouds.

Thank you for your encouraging answer. Perhaps now I´m able to make that leap of faith and hit the buy button :)

Regards

Virtpilot

Tapani Österberg

4 minutes ago, Virtpilot said:

Thank you for your encouraging answer. Perhaps now I´m able to make that leap of faith and hit the buy button :)

Regards

Virtpilot

Well look over at Rex support forums for any reports over they. They might be more but I feel if overcast was killing performance it would be a big issue and a lot of reports on it. But have a look over there to make sure before buying. Like everything to do with this hobby it's always different on everyone PC.

23 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Do you really need me to answer that? or was it just a very silly question? or are you now imply that AS+SF is so poor to you, I might as well us an inferior weather engine as well? So please explain that remark as you know I know how good AS weather engine is.

As for the rest all I will say is try it then see for yourself. 

As for

"It has nothing to do with bashing as I write no bad things about SF." O sorry I thought you said it gives the same look all around you. Imply you get the same look every time you fly. If that's not a put down what is? It was just a backhanded put down.

Relax , it is a game . You are responding like your life depends on it ..

I do not like the same clouds textures on the same type of clouds . So what I wrote about SF not having that , as it doesn’t , is  a fact . 

So you fly your “same clouds textures way” and I fly the “ 8 clouds textures way “

However , I would prefer at least 50+ the same clouds textures for the same type of cloud . Perhaps in the future...

Who knows.

14 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Relax , it is a game . You are responding like your life depends on it ..

I do not like the same clouds textures on the same type of clouds . So what I wrote about SF not having that , as it doesn’t , is  a fact . 

So you fly your “same clouds textures way” and I fly the “ 8 clouds textures way “

However , I would prefer at least 50+ the same clouds textures for the same type of cloud . Perhaps in the future...

Who knows.

I am relax Gerard, Sorry if you thought any different. 

We will have to enjoy our  weather depiction from AS in a diffrent way I used your way for countless months I now prefer AS+SF.

This topic was to give credit to REX for this product not a debate on ASCA v SF.

• Upvote 1