Sign in to follow this  

Sky Force: credit where credit is due

39 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I am relax Gerard, Sorry if you thought any different. 

We will have to enjoy our  weather depiction from AS in a diffrent way I used your way for countless months I now prefer AS+SF.

This topic was to give credit to REX for this product not a debate on ASCA v SF.

I am sure that If REX releases their new weather engine it also will have something like Full Dynamics.And then HiFiSimTech will also respond.

And so the bar will be raised and raised. The better for us ...

:laugh:

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

46 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I am relax Gerard, Sorry if you thought any different. 

We will have to enjoy our  weather depiction from AS in a diffrent way I used your way for countless months I now prefer AS+SF.

This topic was to give credit to REX for this product not a debate on ASCA v SF.

David thanks for sharing the information really appreciated, however what I'm puzzled about the features where SF set it apart from the rest.

Unfortunately I didn't see anything in screenshots or youtube videos with the SF + ASP4 combo... It would be pretty easy to setup ;-)

calvus rain shaft
Tornado / funnel
Visible wall cloud
Visible rain shaft
Roll clouds
ETC...

I think you will only be able to see those with SF and rex WX engine and not the SF + ASP4 combo...

But maybe one of you guys are happy to setup and share the information.

Thanks for your time and this not a VS discussion for me, but just curious about the hype...

Cheers,

André

André

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but just because some of those cloud types and weather events may be available to put into METARs doesn't mean that they will actually appear in them on a daily basis. In all my years as a professional pilot, I don't think that I've ever heard a met man refer to cumulonimbus calvus clouds, for example.

9 minutes ago, awf said:

calvus rain shaft
Tornado / funnel
Visible wall cloud
Visible rain shaft
Roll clouds
ETC...

I think you will only be able to see those with SF and rex WX engine and not the SF + ASP4 combo.

Do you know this for certain? I'm just trying to establish the facts.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

12 minutes ago, GSalden said:

I am sure that If REX releases their new weather engine it also will have something like Full Dynamics.And then HiFiSimTech will also respond.

And so the bar will be raised and raised. The better for us ...

:laugh:

Totally agree and BTW I was watching your youtube vid's over the weekend. You have a great set up and please keep uploading them. Enjoyed them very much.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

7 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Do you know this for certain? I'm just trying to establish the facts.

That's why I'm asking, want to see some facts! I think also it will help a few fellow simmers out there to make a buy decision ;-)

Because I actually think the WX engine in use will play a role  ;-)

André

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

You are having the same clouds textures for the same type of cloud around you now.

With Full Dynamics you had : up to 8 different clouds textures for the same type of cloud.....

Can you actually see the difference in those 8 textures...? And btw you can have up to 8 different textures indeed but that doesn't mean you will always see 8.

I always wondered if one really needs that many textures for great clouds. I was very (if not extremely) surprised to read that REX said different textures hardly make a difference and that the structures are far more important. When someone on the REX forum said he couldn't load another cloud set and was stuck with one, wondering how to handpick other textures for different weather, REX responded that it wasn't needed at all to handpick texture sets: one set of textures would be enough for all kinds of clouds. (Take note though that SF offer double the amount of samples.) The main difference are that some textures may have a slightly more fluffy look or softer edges. And well, I tried ALL 22 cloud sets of SF and although I do see difference (when I compare screenshots) I can imagine that every set can create a believable sky... I feel no need at ALL to switch textures sets for clouds. (Skies are a completely different story.)

As I said before, you should fly with one set of ASCA cloud textures (not dynamic) for a week, take some screenshots, and then switch to Full dynamic again and take some more screenshots: do you see a noticable difference? BTW This is NOT a rhetorical question! I am genuinly interested and curious. When I see ASCA cloud screenshots I never think: Ah, yes, I see different textures now! I just see clouds... and that's all. 

The main advantage of SF are indeed the enhanced cloud structures and models. The textures are just the icing on the cake.

• Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

While you guys were discusing weather I was heaving turbulence :

Just now

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, awf said:

David thanks for sharing the information really appreciated, however what I'm puzzled about the features where SF set it apart from the rest.

Unfortunately I didn't see anything in screenshots or youtube videos with the SF + ASP4 combo... It would be pretty easy to setup ;-)

calvus rain shaft
Tornado / funnel
Visible wall cloud
Visible rain shaft
Roll clouds
ETC...

I think you will only be able to see those with SF and rex WX engine and not the SF + ASP4 combo...

But maybe one of you guys are happy to setup and share the information.

Thanks for your time and this not a VS discussion for me, but just curious about the hype...

Cheers,

André

Hi Andre,

I think I've done my fair share of testing SF and reviews since day 1. I have no wish to go storm chasing I have to do a A320 BA flight tonight.That is my focus tonight.

But if someone has a time, date, location and a reported meter with the stuff you want to see in it so all I have to do is load the sim at that airport I will be happy to try AS+SF and just SF to show you. Alway happy to help but I would sooner spend by time flying than trying to show very rare weather.

Also since the people who keep asking for these screenshots it would be of great help if you find the perfect storm for what you want to see and post a screenshot of how AS+ASCA depicts it. But please make sure what you want to see and cannot see with AS+ASCA because of its limitations are the things SF is said to show us.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

orry if I'm misunderstanding you, but just because some of those cloud types and weather events may be available to put into METARs doesn't mean that they will actually appear in them on a daily basis. In all my years as a professional pilot, I don't think that I've ever heard a met man refer to cumulonimbus calvus clouds, for example.

I listed those abbreviations to demonstrate how difficult it would be to find those conditions in a METAR let alone the more detailed AWF. Maybe Reed will jump in here and answer but other than tornadoes, which are noted as FC in METARs the other phenomena are possibily generated randomly based on other items in the METAR such as CB, humidity, temperature, wind and precipitation.

CB calvus clouds are not a rarity BTW. They are just CB without cloud tops that reach the troposphere. They often become true CB. The calvus CB would likely be injected into the sim when a storm is first building.

@jabloomf1230

Hi Jay,

You clearly know more about clouds than I ever will. Can you tell me what apart from a CB, better describes this please. 

Here I am at cruise at FL 370 this went up a heck of a long way.

wow.jpg

This was a different flight on its own, what this one called?

cb-web.jpg

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

While you guys were discusing weather I was heaving turbulence :

Just now

You shouldn't really have turbulence outside of convective activity while "in the clear," the way storm systems usually form and propagate. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I'm still trying to find rain shafts- that was a big part of the "sell" for me. When approaching any type of rain, you can see- out the window- when it is stronger in certain places, weaker in others, but the intensity of the rain shaft. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

10 minutes ago, bjratchf said:

You shouldn't really have turbulence outside of convective activity while "in the clear," the way storm systems usually form and propagate. 

Tell that to the guys from HiFiSimTech :biggrin: