Sign in to follow this  

Sky Force: credit where credit is due

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

While you guys were discusing weather I was heaving turbulence :

Just now

Well, sorry, but what use are up to 8 cloud textures if you can see three instance of the exact same cloud in this one scene...? Pause the video at 20 seconds and you see two copies of clouds and a part of it even three times. Apart from that: all those cloud look like similar clouds to me so... point me the 8 different textures, please! 

I am not trying to make fun of ASCA: I am sure SF may also show the same textures in places but the point is: I don’t see 8 different textures in that video. Imho the body of a cloud usually has a very basic texture and it is the structure that makes the difference. 

7 minutes ago, J van E said:

Well, sorry, but what use are up to 8 cloud textures if you can see three instance of the exact same cloud in this one scene...? Pause the video at 20 seconds and you see two copies of clouds and a part of it even three times. Apart from that: all those cloud look like similar clouds to me so... point me the 8 different textures, please! 

I am not trying to make fun of ASCA: I am sure SF may also show the same textures in places but the point is: I don’t see 8 different textures in that video. Imho the body of a cloud usually has a very basic texture and it is the structure that makes the difference. 

Jeroen , I have made a screenshot where you can see different textures . Will place it tomorrow as I have shutdown everything after my flight...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

38 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Jeroen , I have made a screenshot where you can see different textures . Will place it tomorrow as I have shutdown everything after my flight...

Great, thanks! Looking forward to it! I’d love to be proven wrong here! :happy:

41 minutes ago, J van E said:

I am not trying to make fun of ASCA: I am sure SF may also show the same textures in places but the point is: I don’t see 8 different textures in that video. Imho the body of a cloud usually has a very basic texture and it is the structure that makes the difference

This starts to get into the area of nit picking - in general - not ASCA or SF. Can you see 1160 textures in SF? Of course not! Can/will you see multiple cloud sets in SF and ASCA - of course - it happens.

The idea is you have selection that is chosen from not that all 8 or 1160 will be seen EVER. The idea is to have a variance that hopefully gives an impression of reality. If we are going to start counting clouds now we might as well start counting how many pixels are used in each.

You see what is important to you and I see what is important to me. Do I really care about whether or not all 8 textures are displayed at any time? Not at all, in fact, if I am wasting time counting textures I am not flying or enjoying the sim. If you counted 8 and then never counted again and never saw all together again, frankly, you wouldn't know the difference.

Enjoy the effect and forget the specifics - they'll drive you crazy.

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Here you can see multiple clouds textures for the same type of clouds. Made by cellphone ,so sorry for the quality.

CloudsTexturesVariations1.jpg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

47 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Enjoy the effect and forget the specifics - they'll drive you crazy.

You've got a point there, Vic. As always. :happy:

25 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Here you can see multiple clouds textures for the same type of clouds.

Thanks! Well... I guess Vic is right: it's about the effect. I seriously have no idea what textures exactly are different in that picture... Yes, I do see differences but I also see them with SF. I think this is something that is hard to discuss about indeed. Everyone just should use what he or she likes or thinks is the most realistic.

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Hi Andre,

I think I've done my fair share of testing SF and reviews since day 1. I have no wish to go storm chasing I have to do a A320 BA flight tonight.That is my focus tonight.

But if someone has a time, date, location and a reported meter with the stuff you want to see in it so all I have to do is load the sim at that airport I will be happy to try AS+SF and just SF to show you. Alway happy to help but I would sooner spend by time flying than trying to show very rare weather.

Also since the people who keep asking for these screenshots it would be of great help if you find the perfect storm for what you want to see and post a screenshot of how AS+ASCA depicts it. But please make sure what you want to see and cannot see with AS+ASCA because of its limitations are the things SF is said to show us.

I agree and appreciated all the time efforts put into it, and by all means flying is more important.

Enjoy your flight David with that beautiful bird and SF...

André

14 hours ago, awf said:

calvus rain shaft
Tornado / funnel
Visible wall cloud
Visible rain shaft
Roll clouds
ETC...

I think you will only be able to see those with SF and rex WX engine and not the SF + ASP4 combo...

Here is a rain shaft with SF and Opus weather:

WAEli7W.jpg

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

These must be the roll clouds. Pretty unconvincing really. Luckily you can turn them off.

GDaluEW.jpg

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

21 hours ago, GSalden said:

Tell that to the guys from HiFiSimTech :biggrin:

Lol yes. I have been told they fight the battle between "what is real" and "what the simmer wants/thinks is real" :) 

• Upvote 1

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

21 hours ago, GSalden said:

Here you can see multiple clouds textures for the same type of clouds. Made by cellphone ,so sorry for the quality.

CloudsTexturesVariations1.jpg

Still loving your pta preset 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

18 minutes ago, bjratchf said:

Still loving your pta preset 

You know that the last is the "All months" preset ?

And this is how it looks :

How does SF + AS handle the crisp transition from the haze layer.  I don't have a pic available but the best way I can describe it is I may sitting on the runway and look off to the mountains.  The bottom of the mountain is obscured through a haze it would seem but the top of the mountain is crystal clear with a sharp line dividing the two portions.  Does SF with AS "fix" this?