Sign in to follow this  
diajohn

Captain Sim 757-200

14 hours ago, B777ER said:

40 agl missed not relevant. It's the third party mesh, it fools with things. I have Pilots mesh for P3Dv4. I moved mine to 5m from 1m and gave not seen this issue reoccur. 

I tried at 1m and it's the same as 10m. Wierd that 5m causes the problem.

(And apologies for taking this thread so far off-topic).

I dont think this is a CS issue. I had similar things happen with other aircraft using mesh, and theres too much messing around with airport elevations then.   Took it out completely other than the baked in ones from FTX regions. Never seen it with the 757 so far.  Getting quite a few flights in and its pretty decent. Just dont use VNAV. Better to self manage right now. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

3 hours ago, HighTowers said:

I dont think this is a CS issue. I had similar things happen with other aircraft using mesh, and theres too much messing around with airport elevations then.   Took it out completely other than the baked in ones from FTX regions. Never seen it with the 757 so far.  Getting quite a few flights in and its pretty decent. Just dont use VNAV. Better to self manage right now. 

VNAV is supposed to have been improved with the latest hotfix. From your statement that's not the case?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I've had several flights using VNAV with no issues. Descent started when expected and maintained thru autoland. My only issue was that I had to help control speed initially using spoilers when starting the descent. Other than that, it worked perfectly. I had a few instances where it did not work and ultimately determined it was subtle errors in the FMC programming that I missed cleaning up.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Here we go.  I tested the CS757-200 with the latest hotfix 2 to see what worked and what did not.  To begin, let me say my system is a bit dated as it was built in 2009 and features an older 1155 LGA motherboard, 16Gb DDR3 Memory and  I5-2500-K CPU running at an overclock of 4.1 coupled with a newer GTX 1060 (6GB) and Samsung SSD. Monitor is 1920x1080.

Also running was UT Live, Chaseplane, GSX, Active Sky for P3D v4, ORBX Global, Vector, and Open  LC North America, Smartcars, Flightbeam KSFO, Radar Contact, and finally FSUIPC registered.

I  planned the flight from KEWR (Newark) to KSFO (San Francisco) at flight level 380 with 44.5k lbs of fuel.  It was daytime and dynamic lighting was enabled.  I also did a return flight from KSFO to KEWR.

I jumped into the pilot's seat and immediately setup the fuel and payload with the CDU.  Next I started the APU and opened the CDU once it settled down to put my route and other info for the flight and setup the MCP   That task completed, I pushed back and started engines.   Radar Contact gave me the departure runway.  Upon arrival on the runway, I made sure my strobe was on, brakes to RTO and landing lights set.  Advanced the throttles to about 60% then hit the EPR button and away we went.  After rotation I followed the flight director for a bit and then when into autopilot mode using HDG and VNAV.  The a/c obeyed nicely.  After finding these worked I changed to LNAV and again it followed the magenta line as it should.  Speed constraints were followed as programmed.  

Cruise was uneventful with descent using FL CH.  

I decided to use the full autoland at KSFO Rwy 28R.  It landed on the centerline at the right speed, 186 ft/s touchdown, and the correct distance.

On the return to KEWR, I tried a few different things.  I used both FL CH and VS to get to altitude.  Again it was as expected.  Cruise was normal but I tried running for an hour at 2x to see what happened.  Answer is nothing abnormal happened.  It just happily flew on the route without sucking up extra memory.  This time I did an ILS approach at Newark but hand flew most of it.  I am ashamed to say it worked out but the autopilot handled the landing better than this pilot.  It was human engineering that was a touch under developed. 

A few observations.  My FPS were always acceptable going to the low 20's at and around KEWR on both legs but never a slideshow.  The aircraft did everything correctly as programmed.  One note it to use the course shown in the CDU when checking or setting up the ILS as Radar Contact showed a couple of degrees difference and it does matter with this bird.  Another is to check your speed setting if you turn off the auto-throttle before landing as I usually do before landing.  The speed setting changes when you disconnect the AT for some reason.  I expect the change is to the speed computed by the CDU, but that is just slightly annoying and not a problem if you expect it.

The verdict, in the man's opinion, is the CS757III is well done and easily worth the $75.70 being charged.  I would say it reminds me of the LDS 767- 300 with much updated visual look and feel.  There is some learning involved but if you are used to the Boeing logic as most of us are from LDS, PMDG and even earlier Captain Sims, that curve will be slight to find yourself fully in command.  I can't think of any downside unless you just don't like a 757.

• Upvote 5

Well said and I agree with your observations.

Thanx for the report.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

5 hours ago, threegreen said:

VNAV is supposed to have been improved with the latest hotfix. From your statement that's not the case?

4 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I've had several flights using VNAV with no issues. Descent started when expected and maintained thru autoland. My only issue was that I had to help control speed initially using spoilers when starting the descent. Other than that, it worked perfectly. I had a few instances where it did not work and ultimately determined it was subtle errors in the FMC programming that I missed cleaning up.

Vic

My speed constraints were blown by a long shot. always have to takeover with FLCHG or VS.  Also had descent initiated and went to -4000 with no altitude restrains ahead.  I just dont trust it. Im sure it will get worked out, as they are getting fixes out fairly quick,  but for me, I just use manual MCP control now for vertical. LNAV works fine. Other than that , the aircraft is pretty darn good. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

On 1/15/2018 at 3:42 PM, HighTowers said:

Been flying it a few times now. Its a fun aircraft to fly. Never had a problem starting engines. The biggest outstanding issues right now is the fuel consumption and speed control. Seems to completely ignore VNAV and last flight i even lost the AT and manually used the throttles for my flight. Everything is functional. Whether I would call this a "study level" would be debatable and subjective to each person. Its alot more indepth then previous aircraft and except for the aforementioned items, its quite functional. But to be honest the FlightFactor 757v1 still does a better job and I dont even have thier V2 yet. Probably more for the details, like the engine startup sequence, or the power dimming that happens when switching from GP to APU gen. We will see what happens when the next SP comes out and how serious they are about making it very decent aircraft to a great one. 

Flightfactor is an xplane addon, this is the p3d forum:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, FSXSEPilot said:

Flightfactor is an xplane addon, this is the p3d forum:rolleyes:

I do not see a problem with the member making an "apple/oranges" comparison.  That's all he was doing.  I disagree with his analogy but he has the right to make it. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

10 hours ago, FSXSEPilot said:

Flightfactor is an xplane addon, this is the p3d forum

...says user “FSXSEPilot”

:laugh:

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I've enjoyed reading this thread since this plane is certainly on my radar to purchase.  Since I am mostly adding it to my fleet to gain a freighter I was curious if there has been any chatter about a freighter service pack.   

11 minutes ago, kenthom said:

I've enjoyed reading this thread since this plane is certainly on my radar to purchase.  Since I am mostly adding it to my fleet to gain a freighter I was curious if there has been any chatter about a freighter service pack.   

I don't think there's been anything official, but from their webpage:

"The first member of the family is the 757-2PW BASE PACK"

which implies there will be more to come. They did the 300 and freighter for the old 757, so I reckon they'll happen sometime (soon hopefully as I quite like freight ops).

23 hours ago, HighTowers said:

My speed constraints were blown by a long shot. always have to takeover with FLCHG or VS.  Also had descent initiated and went to -4000 with no altitude restrains ahead.  I just dont trust it. Im sure it will get worked out, as they are getting fixes out fairly quick,  but for me, I just use manual MCP control now for vertical. LNAV works fine. Other than that , the aircraft is pretty darn good. 

Remember that using VNAV it tries to fly the speed set in Mach which increases speed as you descend.  This is in all Boeings.  Change it to kts instead and it will respect your speeds.

57 minutes ago, diajohn said:

Remember that using VNAV it tries to fly the speed set in Mach which increases speed as you descend.  This is in all Boeings.  Change it to kts instead and it will respect your speeds.

The ECON DES Speed would have both Mach and IAS speed, which would be changed at crossover altitude. 

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

On 2/9/2018 at 11:51 PM, HighTowers said:

I took it out for a first flight after purchasing today and it ended with me closing the sim during descent because I couldn't bear it anymore...

Setting up the FMC I put in 290/.78 for climb and descent as well as the 250 kts speed restriction. On the LEGS page, however, it had 304 kts for two waypoints below 10000 so it didn't seem to care much about the VNAV page and I had to change it manually.

On the first takeoff roll, just above 80 kts, EPR switched off by itself and thrust went back to idle. I taxied back into position and tried again, this time all was fine.

After takeoff VNAV didn't engage automatically (it was armed) and things got a bit stressful.

During cruise, every time the aircraft turned on A/P after crossing a waypoint it either lost or gained speed while turning and it struggled to maintain .80. Once the wings were level it got back to speed.

Descent turned into a nightmare. I have to admit I screwed it up a bit because I forgot to set the altitude window during descent several times since I'm used to an altitude horn sound. When VNAV tried getting back on path and said it needed drag I applied speedbrake. The autothrottle responded by going full thrust and exacerbating the rapid descent. At one point I descended at -6700 ft/min and broke through the clouds like a space shuttle with the nose dramatically pointing to the ground.

This flight was a check ride for my VA (haha) and for realism purposes I flew an empty plane except for 4 people on board. No idea if the low weight played a role here.

I enjoyed the aircraft very much just checking it out before the flight but I have absolutely no idea what the heck went wrong.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD