Sign in to follow this  
diajohn

Captain Sim 757-200

Ryan, it's hard to guess what went wrong but I sense a few clues.  EPR may do that if your desktop throttle is retarded.  VNAV, did you hit AP?  I suggest you try some manual short flights and bone up on the FMC and just learn the aircraft before you do a check idea.  Sounds like you were rushing from point A to Point K without going to B C D etc.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, threegreen said:

I took it out for a first flight after purchasing today and it ended with me closing the sim during descent because I couldn't bear it anymore...

Setting up the FMC I put in 290/.78 for climb and descent as well as the 250 kts speed restriction. On the LEGS page, however, it had 304 kts for two waypoints below 10000 so it didn't seem to care much about the VNAV page and I had to change it manually.

On the first takeoff roll, just above 80 kts, EPR switched off by itself and thrust went back to idle. I taxied back into position and tried again, this time all was fine.

After takeoff VNAV didn't engage automatically (it was armed) and things got a bit stressful.

During cruise, every time the aircraft turned on A/P after crossing a waypoint it either lost or gained speed while turning and it struggled to maintain .80. Once the wings were level it got back to speed.

Descent turned into a nightmare. I have to admit I screwed it up a bit because I forgot to set the altitude window during descent several times since I'm used to an altitude horn sound. When VNAV tried getting back on path and said it needed drag I applied speedbrake. The autothrottle responded by going full thrust and exacerbating the rapid descent. At one point I descended at -6700 ft/min and broke through the clouds like a space shuttle with the nose dramatically pointing to the ground.

This flight was a check ride for my VA (haha) and for realism purposes I flew an empty plane except for 4 people on board. No idea if the low weight played a role here.

I enjoyed the aircraft very much just checking it out before the flight but I have absolutely no idea what the heck went wrong.

This is a fun aircraft to fly if you know how to handle it.  I personally havnt experienced your other issues other than the VNAV. My suggestion for now until it gets fixed, is just fly with VS or FLTCHG mode. You can manage things quite well with it, especially with a banana arc aid on descent. Flying with 4 people on board wouldve made it very light of course, and the 57 is a rocket climbing out so you wouldve had to derate quite a bit not to mention the CG may have been off?  Not sure if using the aircraft for your check ride wouldve been a good idea as a first time flying it but kudos to the challenge. 

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

20 hours ago, diajohn said:

Ryan, it's hard to guess what went wrong but I sense a few clues.  EPR may do that if your desktop throttle is retarded.  VNAV, did you hit AP?  I suggest you try some manual short flights and bone up on the FMC and just learn the aircraft before you do a check idea.  Sounds like you were rushing from point A to Point K without going to B C D etc.

My throttle was at something like 40%, the usual spool up before engaging A/T. I flew a long time manually after takeoff, doesn't VNAV engage if armed even when the A/P is still off?

I'm proficient in Boeing airplanes in general, especially the NGX, so there isn't really much to learn except for some smaller differences. The FMC is even less comprehensive and imo easier than the NG's. 304 kts on waypoints below 10000 on the LEGS page and not even the speed I had put into the VNAV page for climb definitely shouldn't happen.

14 hours ago, HighTowers said:

This is a fun aircraft to fly if you know how to handle it.  I personally havnt experienced your other issues other than the VNAV. My suggestion for now until it gets fixed, is just fly with VS or FLTCHG mode. You can manage things quite well with it, especially with a banana arc aid on descent. Flying with 4 people on board wouldve made it very light of course, and the 57 is a rocket climbing out so you wouldve had to derate quite a bit not to mention the CG may have been off?  Not sure if using the aircraft for your check ride wouldve been a good idea as a first time flying it but kudos to the challenge. 

I used plenty of derate on takeoff but, obviously, still climbing very fast which was expected and not the problem. Things started getting out of control during descent with the dive that VNAV put the aircraft into as well as applying full thrust when it called for drag and speedbrake was extended. CG was 28%.

I'll take it out for another try and see if I run into problems again.

As for the check ride, I didn't file the PIREP so no one knows ;)

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

8 hours ago, threegreen said:

My throttle was at something like 40%, the usual spool up before engaging A/T. I flew a long time manually after takeoff, doesn't VNAV engage if armed even when the A/P is still off?

I'm proficient in Boeing airplanes in general, especially the NGX, so there isn't really much to learn except for some smaller differences. The FMC is even less comprehensive and imo easier than the NG's. 304 kts on waypoints below 10000 on the LEGS page and not even the speed I had put into the VNAV page for climb definitely shouldn't happen.

I used plenty of derate on takeoff but, obviously, still climbing very fast which was expected and not the problem. Things started getting out of control during descent with the dive that VNAV put the aircraft into as well as applying full thrust when it called for drag and speedbrake was extended. CG was 28%.

I'll take it out for another try and see if I run into problems again.

As for the check ride, I didn't file the PIREP so no one knows ;)

The 757 VNAV is not refined at all. Dont bother trying again at this time until maybe SP1.   If you watch some RW videos on YT, alot of pilots are managing with V/S.  Its more interesting , fun, and more challenging that just pushing VNAV and watching it do its work. Try it out. 

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

I must confess to never using VNAV on the way down.  Radar Contact gives me an altitude and I almost always use Flight Level Change to get there.  Vertical Speed only when I don't like the speed I am descending.  This is with all computerized aircraft be they Boeing or Airbus.  

I've had VNAV issues too. Once it sent me down at 6000 fpm (fun for the passengers!).

Another time I disabled it while being vectored on approach. Held at 4000ft, set MCP to 2500ft (as per next FMC waypoint), engaged VNAV and...started to climb!

I won't be using VNAV on descent/approach until the next patch comes out.

It's probably the biggest flaw right now, but still a nice plane to have.

On 2/13/2018 at 8:19 AM, HighTowers said:

The 757 VNAV is not refined at all. Dont bother trying again at this time until maybe SP1.   If you watch some RW videos on YT, alot of pilots are managing with V/S.  Its more interesting , fun, and more challenging that just pushing VNAV and watching it do its work. Try it out. 

Tried again and there was still a lot of yelling in the F/D :)

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Haven’t purchased this yet.

can anyone give us further reports on the performance, RELATIVE to other well-known aircraft (ie NGX or other PMDG plane, or FSL A320).

raw frame rates don’t mean much, as there’s so many variables.

My impression from previous comments is that it may be a little less, but I’m not clear on this.

also, is there anyway to improve performance, eg turning off cabin, turning off FO screens?

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 2/17/2018 at 7:50 PM, OzWhitey said:

Haven’t purchased this yet.

can anyone give us further reports on the performance, RELATIVE to other well-known aircraft (ie NGX or other PMDG plane, or FSL A320).

raw frame rates don’t mean much, as there’s so many variables.

My impression from previous comments is that it may be a little less, but I’m not clear on this.

also, is there anyway to improve performance, eg turning off cabin, turning off FO screens?

In my case it seems to be a little more taxing on the system than the NGX. After pre-flight at the gate of a default airport TrackIR movement was not entirely smooth anymore. During cruise it was the same but I was flying over an overcast NYC area so I'm not sure if it was the airplane. Aircraft movement itself like turning during taxi was still mostly smooth. You can turn off the virtual cabin.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, threegreen said:

In my case it seems to be a little more taxing on the system than the NGX. After pre-flight at the gate of a default airport TrackIR movement was not entirely smooth anymore. During cruise it was the same but I was flying over an overcast NYC area so I'm not sure if it was the airplane. Aircraft movement itself like turning during taxi was still mostly smooth. You can turn off the virtual cabin.

Thanks mate. I like the 757 as a plane, but looking to fly it in VR so smoothness and frames are critical. I appreciate the report. 

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 2/18/2018 at 9:48 PM, OzWhitey said:

Thanks mate. I like the 757 as a plane, but looking to fly it in VR so smoothness and frames are critical. I appreciate the report. 

I actually just spend an hour at FB KMSP in the NGX adjusting settings for increased performance and I was getting steady 30 FPS (locked with Nvidia Inspector) throughout. Then I loaded the 757 and apart from getting 2 FPS less it was just like the NGX, performance-wise.

Are they working on the VNAV issue?  I quickly skimmed over their forums but saw nothing mentioned. Thanks.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

On 2/19/2018 at 9:17 PM, threegreen said:

I actually just spend an hour at FB KMSP in the NGX adjusting settings for increased performance and I was getting steady 30 FPS (locked with Nvidia Inspector) throughout. Then I loaded the 757 and apart from getting 2 FPS less it was just like the NGX, performance-wise.

Interesting as I also love the 757 but was waiting for 1.1.

I did not know they now gave the option to turn off the Cabin. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

On 2/22/2018 at 2:57 PM, Nyxx said:

Included in the latest hotfix.

I'm waiting for 1.1, too. After some test flights there's still too many crucial things not working for me. I find it strange that some bugs only seem to occur to some people but not to others.

I tried descending again in FL CHG this time and it put me into overspeed and again descending like a stone falling out of the sky. At some point it raised the nose until speed was dropping so quickly it was near a stall. Also, the trim setting on the T/O page in the FMC is wrong. When I set stab trim to the exact value calculated by the FMC the airplane is completely out of trim upon rotation and I have to pull my yoke back all the way to avoid crashing after getting airborne.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:57 PM, Nyxx said:

On 2/24/2018 at 10:14 PM, threegreen said:

Included in the latest hotfix.

I'm waiting for 1.1, too. After some test flights there's still too many crucial things not working for me. I find it strange that some bugs only seem to occur to some people but not to others.

I tried descending again in FL CHG this time and it put me into overspeed and again descending like a stone falling out of the sky. At some point it raised the nose until speed was dropping so quickly it was near a stall. Also, the trim setting on the T/O page in the FMC is wrong. When I set stab trim to the exact value calculated by the FMC the airplane is completely out of trim upon rotation and I have to pull my yoke back all the way to avoid crashing after getting airborne.

Preview post of what 1.1 entails.    And Ryan , V/S is still more reliable. You can deal with the speed later. Better to have a stable descent than nose dive out of control. 

https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1519920447

Captains,
The first day of Spring is a good time for a brief heads up on the 1.1 progress.
We're working extra hard to make the 757 a better product, hoping to include into the 1.1 quite a number of new features and enhancements.

To fix:
- VNAV descend PTH to SPD switch and the A/T response to the switch.
- The engine startup sound stutter.
- FMC "invalid entry" message for flaps 1.
- Proper engine rating on the CDU info page.
- A couple of issues which may cause CTD on some systems.
- To decrease the roll MOI. 
- The reverse sleeve animation.
- The yoke shape.
- The yoke column height.

New features:
- The cockpit states real-time management via FMC.
- The 4-door configuration model (including the escape slides).
- An option to turn off the F/O's CDU, ADI, HSI displays.
- ZFW on the Payload Page auto-update.
- An option to select less intense landing lights FX.
- Forward access door animation.
- E/E access door animation.
- External power hatch animation.
- Overflow valve animation.
- The main exit set to D2L. 
- Separate selcall audio files for user customization. 
- V1, Rotate, V2 callouts.
- Clickable VC CDU to call the 2D CDU panel.
- Brand new ACE.
- Engine auto-start option (Ctrl+E).
- An option to select the new Scimitar winglets.

Also we got a few more things on the list.

Anyway, we're hoping to see the 1.1 solid enough to be converted and released for 32-bit platforms (FSX and P3D3) as well.

When? Well, you know the answer 

• Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH