Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

A380 Production to cease?

It is all about airline economics which is not in favor of cheap prices contrary to popular believe which in term is due to airline propaganda. Do we really believe they care about our comfort? Ask the low cost operators. You want cheap prices? Get use to cheap comfort or should I say none. The B747 brought flying to the masses and not just to the selected few and so it is now the A380. The A380 shares the same inconvenient truth with its counterpart the B747-I8, bulk. Bulk means low prices which is a nono for the airlines. I can see another B757 fiasco in the making for both Jumbos and another aftermarket bonanza scramble. We can't help ourselves. Ever as in never. The me me always kill us.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, mabe54 said:

I can see another B757 fiasco

B757 fiasco? Icelandair continues to operate them successfully. They now fly them non-stop from Iceland to Seattle and Portland, quite a long transatlantic distance. And they offer business class seats at about 50% - 75% of most carriers. I am going to give them a try the next time a fly from London to Washington DC.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

4 hours ago, mabe54 said:

B757 fiasco

B757 was never a fiasco, They have been flying for 35 years and produced over 23 years, there was 1050 of them produced and 689 of them still flying today. That would be one of the more successful modern airliners still flying by all numbers including profitability.

What you really mean is the A340 fiasco perhaps?

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

10 hours ago, mabe54 said:

. Do we really believe they care about our comfort?

Very poorly phrased rhetorical question. They care about filling up their airplanes with paying passengers and not losing monies, the "comfort" is determined by a statistical customer who is willing to pay only so much for so many inches of space, if you need more "comfort" they will gladly upgrade your for a fee.  And 757 was never a fiasco. I can't understand the rest of your tirade anyway.

• Upvote 1

The fiasco was Boeing scrapping it and putting it's eggs into the 747-800 and the dreamliner.

• Upvote 1

Harry Woodrow

57 minutes ago, harrry said:

The fiasco was Boeing scrapping it and putting it's eggs into the 747-800 and the dreamliner.

Agreed, it is the Hot Rod of the 7-Series...It's the plane that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs :laugh:

In my view it is the best airliner ever produced :cool:

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Not the best maybe but a good general purpose people carrier suited for many roles.  Even for aspiring US presidents.

Harry Woodrow

1 hour ago, harrry said:

Even for aspiring US presidents.

The President still uses this one from time to time, mostly for when the larger one is too big for a runway they will use this:1200px-USAF_C-32A.jpg

Our "President' (Prime Minister) uses this one:RNZAF_Boeing_757_KvW.jpg

Matthew Kane

Great news for the A380 - I understand Emirates have signed for 20 more orders and 16 options. The end for this great airliner is not yet in sight!

Bill

Can't help but feel Airbus and Emirates were each waiting for the other to blink... everyone expected a big Emirates order at the Dubai Airshow which didn't happen. Then big press statements about closing the A380 line etc etc.

It wouldn't be the first time an airliner was an apparent "failure", the A330 as I recall languished for years and then the market changed to suit its performance envelope. 

• Upvote 1

Let's hope that this is the start of the A380 comeback!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 17/01/2018 at 11:49 AM, ckyliu said:

Meh, sounds like Leahy trying to drum up a few more sales before his imminent retirement.

And whadyaknow, within 2 days Emirates has ordered another 36

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

From reading the news it sounds like BA is considering placing an order for further A380s again soon. Given the slot constraints at Heathrow, which are unlikely disappear even in the short to medium term, introducing A380s on more rotations would be an obvious way to achieve growth and hopefully we will see more A380s in BA colours.

Bill