Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

ATC and FMS: Friends or Foes.

Ive managed to accomplish a total match between ATC and the NGX using the PMDG NGX tutorial 1 (EGKK to EHAM).  This flight used full proper SID/STARS and ATC followed all correct altitude constraints etc.

I've demo'd a part of the flight on youtube.

I used Aivlasoft EFB to plan the flight.  My ATC was through VoxATC.  Other addons necessary were up to date navdata through Navigraph (for the FMC) and fsAerodata (for the sim)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

6 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

I used Aivlasoft EFB to plan the flight.  My ATC was through VoxATC. 

Kevin, how is the current state of VoxATC? I read it could not process some addon airports and some ORBX bgl-s, and that sounded intimidating, because internal indexing of sceneries is very important for ATC programs.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Kevin, how is the current state of VoxATC? I read it could not process some addon airports and some ORBX bgl-s, and that sounded intimidating, because internal indexing of sceneries is very important for ATC programs.

Thanks,

Vox is undoubtedly an extremely complex addon.  It can only work with the data it is provided with though.  

Many payware airport developers make compromises when they design AFCADS.  eg to help make AI 'work' correctly.  Some AFCADS can simply have errors in them.  These inherent issues can cause crashes or unintended consequences for Vox (and/or any other addon which needs to know that info!).  The result is that an end user seeking maximum realism needs to be willing to:

a) be willing to learn the basics of ADE in order to make slight adjustments to the AFCADS shipped with sceneries; and

b) be willing to undertake a little investigation to identify the problem with any scenery.

Too many people I think expect any ATC addon to work perfectly like Vatsim out of the box and with full AI.

The reality is this is very complex coding, built on an arguably shaky FSX era AI codebase, with limited SDK documentation, and utterly reliant on airspace data and facility data provided by third parties, which most probably werent designed with ATC addon compatibility in mind!

That said, its not that hard to work with :)

I would recommend using:

1. updated airspace definitions from fsAerodata

2. for IMC flights with capable FMC, Navigraph or similar data matched to the same AIRAC as (1)

3. Airport Design Editor (ADE) to review/edit airport AFCADS where there may be problems.

Making everything work IS possible, but you need to be willing to help make it happen.  The sim environment means you inevitably WILL be disappointed if you expect it to work seamlessly and perfectly every time, without any intervention at all, on the basis of airport and sim data that is often conflicted.

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

On 1/15/2018 at 7:10 PM, signmanbob said:

Have you tried "Simbrief "?

Yes, this is what I use.  It's very helpful.  It allows you to save multiple outputs.

For example, you can pull a real world flight plan from there or even FlightAware and copy/paste over to SB.  You can save one file for the standard FSX/P3D flight plan and load it.  You can save another file (usually) for the specific plane you are using.  The PMDG NGX FMC, for example, can access these routes through co-route and then program your legs and altitude automatically.  After tweaking the route a bit (like adding STAR/SIDs), ATC will put you on track for departure and get you to the flight path and altitude

On the way down, however, they will not have you fly the STAR, they'll just vector you in

Sounds good to me. I will check "Simbrief" out when I get the chance. Thanks.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.