Sign in to follow this  
simaddict

What's going on with FSW?

3 hours ago, vololiberista said:

You mean like the Royal Air Force that used MS ESP in their simulators and now are converting to P3D. Oh, and you can use the very same simulator on your home desk top. Isn't that good enough?

No, that's not good enough. Then nobody would be interested in FSW. We need a new direction. I hope the FSW-team will be successful in their endeavors.

14 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

it comes with FTX Global and the Crenado Baron unless I'm mistaken.

The copy I have doesn't. Did i [perhaps miss something?

1 minute ago, Adrian123 said:

The copy I have doesn't. Did i [perhaps miss something?

Perhaps I am wrong on that. If so my apologies.

Vic green

Guest Mik75
5 minutes ago, AAN1718A said:

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to code, but isn't it fair to say that X-Plane/AFS (to my knowledge) is the only flight sim that created their own code from scratch? Look how amazing that sim is out the box, whereas DT and LM are using decades old code from someone else.

Don't misunderstand, DT and LM made some impressive strides in creating a sim out of the old ESP code base and I enjoy them both. With such talent and knowledge, I wonder if the idea had occurred to any of them to create something without those limitations. LM certainly has the resources ...

NGiS (Next Generation Interactive Software) tried that and folded pretty fast, no support and probably no funding. I realize such a monumental task isn't easy, but the resources that are available today vs. 10 or 20 years ago might make such a thing possible in a shorter amount of time.

-my 2 cents.

That’s why my main sim platform is XP. And, I don’t like the fact that LM is a major armament concern, but that’s something different. DTG however, are really trying to bring truly new stuff into the ESP platform, like TrueSky, something that could finally bring believable and real looking clouds into ESP sims. 

3 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Perhaps I am wrong on that. If so my apologies.

FSW does not contain Carenado Baron yet. But I hope that this airplane will be available sometime in the future.

50 minutes ago, AAN1718A said:

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to code, but isn't it fair to say that X-Plane/AFS (to my knowledge) is the only flight sim that created their own code from scratch? Look how amazing that sim is out the box, whereas DT and LM are using decades old code from someone else.

X Planes first line of code was written 29 years ago...September 1988...

https://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2003-07/austin-goliath

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, torium said:

FSW does not contain Carenado Baron yet. But I hope that this airplane will be available sometime in the future.

How about FTX Global? Does FSW use this as default scenery?

Vic green

Yes fsw has orbx global and accufeel straight out of the box. Just those two products alone cost way more than the sim!

Also has some of the best default ga aircraft with interactive check lists from cold and dark and the best atmospheric effects and glass effects out there. No other sim has anything close in its default state. Pretty embarrassing for these long standing sim Giants that have been trying for years.

Chris

• Upvote 7

24 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Yes fsw has orbx global and accufeel straight out of the box. Just those two products alone cost way more than the sim!

Also has some of the best default ga aircraft with interactive check lists from cold and dark and the best atmospheric effects and glass effects out there. No other sim has anything close in its default state. Pretty embarrassing for these long standing sim Giants that have been trying for years.

Chris

Each sim has its strong and weak points. If you say that, then I could reply that also FSW has embarassing things missing, compared to others. And XP has embarassing things missing... And P3D has embarassing things missing... And AFS2 has embarassing things missing... etc. etc.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

9 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Each sim has its strong and weak points. If you say that, then I could reply that also FSW has embarassing things missing, compared to others. And XP has embarassing things missing... And P3D has embarassing things missing... And AFS2 has embarassing things missing... etc. etc.

Good point! I.m a word not allowed of two things. Family and friends!

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

I agree that there are a few things missing but not that many if you are excluding add ons. They have innovated and there are features it has that no other sim has. I’m still mostly using p3d, then X-Plane, then fsw but it really does seem innovative when compared to the others especially considering timescales.

Chris

The biggest thing missing is ability to use FSUIP thus meaning that it cannot be used on Virtual Airlines.  I  have it and it remains hangered because of this design decision.  The same limitation exists with Aeorofly.

Harry Woodrow

8 hours ago, AAN1718A said:

Don't misunderstand, DT and LM made some impressive strides in creating a sim out of the old ESP code base and I enjoy them both. With such talent and knowledge, I wonder if the idea had occurred to any of them to create something without those limitations. LM certainly has the resources ...

Yes, DT and LM both based their simulators on decades old code which they both licensed, certainly for a reason. May I invite you to an investigation of the age of the X-Plane code to compare? You may be up for a surprise, indeed.

Even AeroflyFS2 is based on AeroflyFS1, originally published in 2011, being at least partially based on decades old code of the RC simulators made by IPACS.

Kind regards, Michael

Edit: Sorry, just saw that someone else already made clear the age of X-Plane.

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

How many more times are people going to post about "old code" and "old engines" by people who have no idea of exactly what's in the millions of lines of code in not only specific flightsims but also video drivers and the other components of Windows, like DirectX?

• Upvote 7