Sign in to follow this  
Oleg321

PMDG 737-800 NGX Questions

10 minutes ago, scianoir said:

The distance between those two airports (about 170nm) may be too short to allow a climb to FL360, which is probably why you got that message. Factors like gross weight will also enter into the computation as this will affect the rate of climb.

Bill

But why does the maximum altitude appear only when I enter the cost index?

3 minutes ago, Oleg321 said:

But why does the maximum altitude appear only when I enter the cost index?

The cost index is a bit of a mystery to me but I think it is related to operational efficiency, so depending on what you enter the FMC presumably calculates a rate of climb, maximum altitude etc that will provide the level of efficiency desired by the cost index figure. I read somewhere that it's best to always enter 100 as the cost index so that's what I do. As I said, I don't know a lot about cost index so I am open to correction by anyone who knows more about it than me!

Bill

My understanding is that cost index is an expression of how speed of arrival is prioritized over fuel savings, and vice versa. A low cost index means that saving fuel will be prioritised over a timely arrival, where as with a high cost index more fuel will be burned in order to reduce time spend en route.

• Upvote 1

Hello,

why do pilots sometimes take off using only VNAV, sometimes only LNAV, sometimes without both. Why don’t they use both at takeoff?

2 hours ago, Oleg321 said:

Hello,

why do pilots sometimes take off using only VNAV, sometimes only LNAV, sometimes without both. Why don’t they use both at takeoff?

Although you can arm VNAV on the ground before take off, many Boeing airliners will not allow VNAV to engage until passing 800 feet and it is probably unwise to activate the autopilot much below this level anyway. Most pilots take off with the HDG mode set to the runway heading and then activate LNAV soon after take off particularly if flying a complex SID.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Agree with Bill.  And some pilots want to control the climb and let the AP handle the other things, like following the flight plan.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello,

When I program the route on the FMC and then go to legs page. Do you manually enter the Altitude and Speed or do you just agree with the automatic ones it gives you? Also why does the fmc say RESET MCP ALTITUDE if the altitude speeds are already programmed into the fmc and it just followed them using VNAV. Why? Also what altitude should I reset the MCP altitude to when the fmc says I should do that?

thank you 

• Upvote 1

I think of the FMC like a wife - it's just easier to agree with whatever it suggests!!

Being more serious, you will have already selected your cruising altitude and that is what is going to be shown on the legs page for the cruise phase of the flight. During the climb and descent phases, the altitudes and speeds shown on the legs page will be the predicted altitudes and speeds at which you will cross those waypoints.

The message RESET MCP ALTITUDE is a reminder to reset the altitude in the MCP to a lower level before the top of descent point (T/D) otherwise, during VNAV operation, the aircraft will not descend at the T/D point.

Bill

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, scianoir said:

I think of the FMC like a wife - it's just easier to agree with whatever it suggests!!

Being more serious, you will have already selected your cruising altitude and that is what is going to be shown on the legs page for the cruise phase of the flight. During the climb and descent phases, the altitudes and speeds shown on the legs page will be the predicted altitudes and speeds at which you will cross those waypoints.

The message RESET MCP ALTITUDE is a reminder to reset the altitude in the MCP to a lower level before the top of descent point (T/D) otherwise, during VNAV operation, the aircraft will not descend at the T/D point.

Bill

But what altitude should I reset it to?

On 1/28/2018 at 4:28 AM, Jim Young said:

You will see this nag forever unless you update the navdata as I suggested above at Navigraph.  Aerosoft in Europe also has a very similar program in Europe called NavDataPro.  Both are excellent.  But, again, it is not necessary to update the data.

Hello,

I fly the PMDG 737 and today i bought the Navigraph subscription. I installed the Navigraph FMS Data Manager but it did not work so i decided to download 1802 manually. I followed the setup instructions, then went to the IDENT page on the FMC but it still says my old 1108 AIRAC cycle. How to fix that?

Thank you

Hello,

I am learning to fly the PMDG 737 and I have a question regarding the approach. What do the VOR/LOC and APP buttons do and how and when should o use them? 

Thank you 

Have a go on the Tutorial flights #1 and #2.

And by the way, don't forget the Introduction.

All the documentation and Tutorial flights can be found in the PMDG Operations Center.

Have fun!

4 minutes ago, soerennielsen said:

Have a go on the Tutorial flights #1 and #2.

And by the way, don't forget the Introduction.

All the documentation and Tutorial flights can be found in the PMDG Operations Center.

Have fun!

I already read all. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Oleg321 said:

I already read all. 

Then you need to read it again until you understand it and actually do the tutorial flights.

DJ