Sign in to follow this  
Oleg321

PMDG 737-800 NGX Questions

9 minutes ago, ubersu said:

Then you need to read it again until you understand it and actually do the tutorial flights.

DJ

I did both of them.

I agree that you should review the PMDG documentation to fully understand how to use the NGX, however to help you understand a little better

Quoting from a long ago post here on AVSIM

"VOR/LOC establishes the aircraft on a radial of a VOR whether inbound or outbound. If you have the ILS frequency in use, VOR/LOC will intercept the localizer. VOR/LOC does not command pitch, and only deals with the horizontal plain. Another thing to mention is that you have to have the course set in the course window. Also, if you want to intercept a localizer or radial, you can be in heading mode and also press VOR/LOC, so both buttons are lighted on the MCP. What this will do is it will follow the heading that will intercept the localizer or radial, then when it gets closer, go into VOR/LOC mode completely and intercept it."

"main difference between APP and VOR/LOC is that APP does the approach fully, while VOR/LOC only commands the plain on the horizontal plane."

• Upvote 1

Hello,

I want to ask about the flap maneuvering speeds at landing. So can someone tell me what should I deploy the flaps to when I reach the UP, 1,15,15 exc. maneuvering speeds?

Thank you

10 minutes ago, Oleg321 said:

Hello,

I want to ask about the flap maneuvering speeds at landing. So can someone tell me what should I deploy the flaps to when I reach the UP, 1,15,15 exc. maneuvering speeds?

Thank you

It is important not to extend each stage of flaps above its maximum flap extension speed (Vfe) otherwise you risk structural failure. You can probably find these for each flap setting in the manual but I think that maximum speed for the first notch of flap extension in the 737 is around 230kts. As you are slowing down on the approach you need to make sure that the airspeed is below the limit for that flap setting as you lower each stage of flaps.

Could I suggest that you might benefit from a really useful book by Mike Ray called Flying the Boeing 700 Series? Although I have lost mine now, I actually bought it many years ago in my FS9 days when I wanted to teach myself how to use the FMC on the Quality Wings 757 (and later the PMDG 747). It provides an amazing amount of very useful information in an easy to understand way, as well as a couple of tutorial flights. I certainly found that book very useful and used to refer to it again and again while I learned the various procedures. A great advantage of it is that the information it provides and the knowledge that you acquire from it can basically be applied to any Boeing aircraft and I certainly would recommend it for anyone interested in seriously learning to fly any of the better Boeing simulations for the first time.

Bill

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Oleg321 said:

So can someone tell me what should I deploy the flaps to when I reach the UP, 1,15,15 exc. maneuvering speeds?

The max speed for each extension of the flaps is on the dashboard.... er, on the panel just above or next to the Flaps gauge (you may have to hit the + key to zoom in on the figures).  The good thing about the PMDG 737 (and real world), is that you can deploy your flaps to the max at any time (i.e., 300, 400, 500 knots).  Your aircraft is smart enough to know of the restrictions and will not deploy the flaps until the speed for that setting is reached.  At least that has been my experiences on the PMDG 737, 777, 747.  Would not try this though when you get your airline pilot license and fly the real thing.:smile:

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello,

I just landed after my first flight when i chose my own route, origin and destenation. I have a few questions right now after that. I actually did not takeoff with VNAV on and i wanted to control the altitude myself and then turn on VNAV but when i took of and turned on CMD A I found out that I need to control the speed myself too. Is it possible with VNAV off to control the altitude myself and for the FMC to control speeds? If that is not possible than what speed should i set on the MCP panel?

What is the MINS knob on the EFIS panel and what should it be on? BARO or RADIO? And where do I get the information which numbers should be ?

Thanks

You take off as the Pilot in Command.  No AP.  As you stated earlier, you get to about 800 to 1000 feet and then turn on LNAV/VNAV and then CMD A.  You were right before when you discussed this all before.  Now you are asking the same questions but in slightly different.  What is the purpose?  I've been very patient with you but this is really trying my patience.  I like discussions about the basics of flying as we have a lot of newcomers, new members who are trying to learn how to fly but the forums are mostly for any issues as the answers to your questions are in the manuals, tutorials, and videos.  We have answered your questions and, in some cases a couple of times.  We have guided you to manuals, to tutorials (both in print and videos), to learning centers like Angle of Attack and you persist with the same questions.  The answers are not in the manuals, the FCOM's, the tutorials, the videos?  You will not learn how to fly in this manner.  You seem to be asking the same things just for conversation with someone here at AVSIM and really not to learn.  Therefore I am going to close this thread down.  You need to use the tutorials, the FCOM's, the videos on the Internet, and read the many discussions here in the AVSIM forums as well as in the PMDG 737 Forums hosted here by AVSIM.  You need to try a tutorial and, if you fail, try it again until you can fly the tutorial because everything is there and it provides the best way to learn.  If the manuals, the tutorials, the videos, the many discussions in various forums about the 737 were not available, I could see your questioning (and then we would have a bright member who would write a manual to make it easier to learn).  Good luck on learning how to fly the 737.  You are well on your way!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello,

What does the MINS knob do and what where do I get the BARO and RADIO numbers for landing?

Thank you very much.

I would strongly recommend that you read the manual. There is a reason that people refer to the PMDG as a "study aircraft". That is because it is a complex aircraft, and the PMDG 737 simulates that complex aircraft. You really need a basic airmanship knowledge to fly this aircraft and a good wealth of knowledge regarding this aircraft to successfully operate this aircraft. You can gain that knowledge by studying the documentation.

The frequency for ILS can be found in the FMC. The altimeter for your landing airport is provided by ATC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oleg321 said:

Hello,

What does the MINS knob do and what where do I get the BARO and RADIO numbers for landing?

Thank you very much.

In simple terms, the "minimum" is the altitude where you decide if you are going to land or if you are going around. It is different for every airport and approach, you will find those numbers on the airport charts pertaining to the approach that you are flying.

In the old days, the minimums would be interpreted like this: If you are on the correct course to the runway and on the glidepath, then if you can't see the runway upon reaching the minimum altitude you are required to go around. Today, with CAT III (auto) landings, it is often used to determine the point where you disconnect the autopilot - if you can see the runway. For takeoff it is often set to the acceleration altitude (something like 1000ft AGL, depends on the airport and terrain obviously), so you don't forget about that either.

The MINS knob is just setting a visual cue for you so you don't forget about that altitude. You will see a line at that altitude on the altutide band of your PFD, and in some planes a computer voice will say "minimums" when the aircraft reaches it.

Mind you, this is nothing specific to the 737 NGX. Every airliner as some device/feature like this. Minimum rules apply to all aircraft flying into the airport.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

45 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

In simple terms, the "minimum" is the altitude where you decide if you are going to land or if you are going around. It is different for every airport and approach, you will find those numbers on the airport charts pertaining to the approach that you are flying.

In the old days, the minimums would be interpreted like this: If you are on the correct course to the runway and on the glidepath, then if you can't see the runway upon reaching the minimum altitude you are required to go around. Today, with CAT III (auto) landings, it is often used to determine the point where you disconnect the autopilot - if you can see the runway. For takeoff it is often set to the acceleration altitude (something like 1000ft AGL, depends on the airport and terrain obviously), so you don't forget about that either.

The MINS knob is just setting a visual cue for you so you don't forget about that altitude. You will see a line at that altitude on the altutide band of your PFD, and in some planes a computer voice will say "minimums" when the aircraft reaches it.

Mind you, this is nothing specific to the 737 NGX. Every airliner as some device/feature like this. Minimum rules apply to all aircraft flying into the airport.

Best regards

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Wasn't sure about that, so I rechecked it. Looks like the NGX doesn't paint a line in the PFD, there is only the computer voice "approaching minimums" and "minimums".

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI