Sign in to follow this  
Oleg321

PMDG 737-800 NGX Questions

Hello. I am learning to fly PMDG 737-800 NGX using the Tutorial #1 from PMDG. After takeoff it says that plane will accelerate to 250. But it accelerates only to 230. I use To/Ga as said in the Tutorial flight from Gatwick to Schipol. Please help.

Edited by Jim Young
Title changed at OP's Request
  • Upvote 1

Have you checked the IAS window on the MCP in case 230 is entered there as a limiting speed?

Bill

• Upvote 1

If you had your flaps lowered for takeoff, the aircraft will not exceed the speed limit for say, a flap lowered to 10 or 15.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello,

I am learning to fly the PMDG 737-800 NGX using the PMDG manual 

Soon after takeoff at about 300 feet suddenly the speed autopilot dissapears. If says 162 , and suddenly dissapears. And after that I can not activate autopilot, although in the manual it says that at 400 feet engage CMD A and take off your hand off the controls. Please help. That is very strange. 

That's the way it should operate if you clicked on LNAV/VNAV and AP.  Once in AP w/LNAV/VNAV you will not see the speed until you decide you want to control it during descent or during the flight.  To engage the AP, most of the time you need to remove your hands from your throttle/controller as movement could disengage the AP.  Sometimes it will engage while using the controller but best to keep your hands off the steering wheel. :smile:

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 hours ago, Jim Young said:

That's the way it should operate if you clicked on LNAV/VNAV and AP.  Once in AP w/LNAV/VNAV you will not see the speed until you decide you want to control it during descent or during the flight.  To engage the AP, most of the time you need to remove your hands from your throttle/controller as movement could disengage the AP.  Sometimes it will engage while using the controller but best to keep your hands off the steering wheel. :smile:

But I use TO/GA on takeoff.  But if I keep my hands of the steering wheel, than how will I take off and follow the flight director? In the manual it says: passing 400 turn on CMD A, buy I can’t.

16 hours ago, Jim Young said:

If you had your flaps lowered for takeoff, the aircraft will not exceed the speed limit for say, a flap lowered to 10 or 15.

OMG. But the flaps need to be lowered for takeoff. How is that possible?????

1 hour ago, Oleg321 said:

I merged your second topic with the first one you started since they were essentially on the same topic. 

Please, going forward, if you start a topic and are already receiving help, don’t start another topic for the same or similar issue. Doing so will make it confusing for members who are trying to help you and possibly confusing for yourself as you’ll have to track to threads.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Did you forget to retract the landing gear after positive rate of climb?:cool:

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

1 hour ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I merged your second topic with the first one you started since they were essentially on the same topic. 

Please, going forward, if you start a topic and are already receiving help, don’t start another topic for the same or similar issue. Doing so will make it confusing for members who are trying to help you and possibly confusing for yourself as you’ll have to track to threads.

It is even more confusing now, but ok, I’ll try to figure out. So to ask a question similar to these I need to just ask it in the replies of this topic?? Also why can’t I write direct messages ? So if I write a question in the replies of this one topic I will probably get an anwser ? So you merged the topic about the PMDG 737-800 230 speed and the PMDG speed dissapearence? But right now people will answer and I will need to figure out on which question they answered. The first one or the second one. Thank you. Waiting for your anwser.

10 hours ago, Jim Young said:

For example here in this video his speed does not dissapear anywhere: 

3 hours ago, Oleg321 said:

For example here in this video his speed does not dissapear anywhere: 

That is because the VNAV is not engaged.  When you click on VNAV, the FMC takes over the rate of climb and speed (so it removes the speed from view (see about 10:53 after he clicks on VNAV).  All gone!

6 hours ago, Oleg321 said:

In your OP you asked why your speed will not accelerate to 250 as shown in the PMDG manual and only to 230.  I responded that, if you have your flaps still lowered, the aircraft will not exceed the speed for the flap setting.  Then you posted the above quote which means I did not understand my comments.  I'll try again. When you raise your flaps, the speed will accelerate to 250.  If you exceeded 230 with your flaps at say, 10, you and your virtual passengers would probably crash or the wing(s) would drop off (if you had realism turned on to show a crash).  Soon after takeoff, you or your co-pilot should begin to raise your flaps to gain some speed!

I see you are now finding how accurate the PMDG guide is and I think they did an excellent job with the guide too.  But, you are doing the right thing by also looking at some of the many hundreds of videos posted on the Internet that show how it is done and that only supplements the PMDG manual and your knowledge on the proper techniques for flying a Boeing 737.  They have an excellent tutorial too!  That's how I learned and that's what flight simulation is all about.  Asking questions like yours is also very helpful in the learning process.  I hope I have been able to answer your questions!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

15 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

That is because the VNAV is not engaged.  When you click on VNAV, the FMC takes over the rate of climb and speed (so it removes the speed from view (see about 10:53 after he clicks on VNAV).  All gone!

In your OP you asked why your speed will not accelerate to 250 as shown in the PMDG manual and only to 230.  I responded that, if you have your flaps still lowered, the aircraft will not exceed the speed for the flap setting.  Then you posted the above quote which means I did not understand my comments.  I'll try again. When you raise your flaps, the speed will accelerate to 250.  If you exceeded 230 with your flaps at say, 10, you and your virtual passengers would probably crash or the wing(s) would drop off (if you had realism turned on to show a crash).  Soon after takeoff, you or your co-pilot should begin to raise your flaps to gain some speed!

I see you are now finding how accurate the PMDG guide is and I think they did an excellent job with the guide too.  But, you are doing the right thing by also looking at some of the many hundreds of videos posted on the Internet that show how it is done and that only supplements the PMDG manual and your knowledge on the proper techniques for flying a Boeing 737.  They have an excellent tutorial too!  That's how I learned and that's what flight simulation is all about.  Asking questions like yours is also very helpful in the learning process.  I hope I have been able to answer your questions!

Best regards,

Jim

Thank you very much. Now I understood it. Thank you. Appreciate it. If I have something I don’t understand in the future, I’ll ask. Do you know why I can’t send direct messages ?

You should be able to send PM's as you are now a member.  New Members cannot.  But, you should keep all of your questions here in the forums so that others may also learn.

Submit News to AVSIM

54 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

You should be able to send PM's as you are now a member.  New Members cannot.  But, you should keep all of your questions here in the forums so that others may also learn.

The moderators merged my first forum and my second forum since their topics were similar. So I have right know one forum. How can I change the topic. Because I will not only have questions about speed. How will people find my question now if it will be all the way down the page? And if a person answers I will need to figure out what question he answered. Can you please tell me about that. I just don’t understand this mechanism.

And I still have one quick question remaining about the speed disappearance. All that you told in your last message I understood but I didn’t understand the most important. The speed dissapears , but how could I then engage the autopilot. In the manual it says: passing 400 engage autopilot. But how if the speed is gone ?

Thank you