Sign in to follow this  
ralinn

KGPI Glacier Park International Airport Update

8 hours ago, kenthom said:

Really?  Very nice.  I know Billings is in the works.  Looking forward to all of the western US airports.  

I mixed up BIL and BOI oops

13 hours ago, newtie said:

Hope this is somehow optimized for Dynamic lighting, if that's even possible.

Bought KIDA last night and took a chopper ride early this morning in the dark with DL enabled with all sliders low which is how I fly everywhere. 9fps Ouch.

4770 @4.4, 32mb ram and Titan Black

Cheers,

Mark

Yes it will be optimised for dynamic lighting. We're moving away from light maps.

It still requires a lot of work from Lockheed, but we do what we can to keep it reasonable.

Thanks,
Russ

logo.png

Russell Linn

Art Director

Turbulent Designs

17 hours ago, kenthom said:

Looking forward to all of the western US airports.  

Interesting statement. America first. 

I am looking forward to all of the Southern German airports. No hope, though. I am even more looking forward to at least the major Central Japanese airports. No one even cares, even Wing Creations seems to have dropped the ball.

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

24 minutes ago, pmb said:

Interesting statement. America first. 

I am looking forward to all of the Southern German airports. No hope, though. I am even more looking forward to at least the major Central Japanese airports. No one even cares, even Wing Creations seems to have dropped the ball.

Kind regards, Michael 

To be honest, it's more of a sales thing. GA airports is a very niche market, so American airports are normally the "safer" bet as it's the biggest audience. I'd love to go else where if sales of even our American airports pick up. They cost a lot of money to develop.

As a bit of a clue of what the sales numbers are like, I'll say one thing. Turbulent aren't in it for the profit. We're by no means a small company, but our aviation/simulation section is tiny (compared to some other publishers/developers) and we do it because we enjoy it.

• Upvote 3

logo.png

Russell Linn

Art Director

Turbulent Designs

29 minutes ago, ralinn said:

To be honest, it's more of a sales thing. GA airports is a very niche market, so American airports are normally the "safer" bet as it's the biggest audience. I'd love to go else where if sales of even our American airports pick up. 

I don't doubt that. Most scenery developers, including ORBX, claim the same. Indeed the US West Coast is a paradise for simmers already. In view of this, I am a bit disturbed customers still wanting to get more and more while large -  including some fascinating - parts of the world are completely underdeveloped. Japan is a very prominent example indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

ORBX is heavily GA-oriented, which is probably why they finally came to their senses and started officially developing for XP. It's unfortunate that they are so GA biased, since their one recent  "big" airport, KSAN is a top tier replica. I guess that they feel that for the amount of work needed, small obscure airports are more lucrative. Heck, model a terminal, add some canned library objects, slap on some grass and animated people and maybe a bird or two and you just made some cash.

Hi pmb, 

I certainly understand your sentiments.  I would like to see all qualified and inventive developers of airports be very successful.  I fly only in the US because I typically enjoy the shorter flights and I am more familiar with our country.   I am very happy that Turbulent and some others are doing the mid-major airports in places like Kalispell.   There are hundreds of airports that could be done throughout the US and the same for Europe and other continents.  

It would seem to me that the hobby is growing after maybe being somewhat stale for a few years.  

I wish you the best and you get all the airports you desire!  

Ken

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, kenthom said:

Hi pmb, 

I certainly understand your sentiments. 

Thanks for the kind words, Ken, much appreciated :ha:

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Folks,

Just a thought - since this forum speaks English - many of the products seem geared towards English speaking destinations - - - perhaps there is a Japanese version of AvSim out there where they would have Japanese based products that we haven't seen ???  Flight Sim seems to hold universal appeal... There was a company that made Japanese Airports and Aircraft a while back - can't recall the name - they were prolific - did they just fade away ??? Granted - their aircraft were marginal but I never tried their scenery...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Perhaps we shouldn't clutter this thread with OT (I already feel guilty). Overland made indeed a host of nice Japanese airports for FS9 but left the scene soon after the advent of FSX, not to speak of Prepar3d.

BTW, there is a separate AVSIM thread on Japanese airports, which, unfortunately, doesn't offer plenty either.

Kind regards, Michael

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Heck, model a terminal, add some canned library objects, slap on some grass and animated people and maybe a bird or two and you just made some cash.

You're hired.

• Upvote 3

logo.png

Russell Linn

Art Director

Turbulent Designs

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

ORBX is heavily GA-oriented, which is probably why they finally came to their senses and started officially developing for XP. It's unfortunate that they are so GA biased,

Sorry, but I have to push back on this one a bit.  I fly GA in North America because I'm a licensed US pilot and that's what/where I flew (not currently active) IRL.  From my perspective, prior to Orbx becoming a major developer, GA was almost completely ignored in terms of airports.  I'm VERY pleased to see companies like Turbulent throwing their hats in the ring and adding to the list of folks doing quality regional and GA fields.  There are plenty of devs out there doing Class B type airports.  Don't begrudge us GA guys one or two quality developers who've decided to focus more on the smaller stuff.

Scott

• Upvote 3

I was only pointing out that ORBX has found the sweet spot in creating profit. Big, complex airports require a lot of work with ADE and many of the models and ground polygons are unique to a specific airport.

I enjoy flying GA also, else I wouldn't have bought so many A2A planes for P3d and also fly with XP11. But I've only bought one ORBX payware airport, Jacksons  (AYPY) and I got bored with that in a few days.

5 hours ago, tttocs said:

Sorry, but I have to push back on this one a bit.  I fly GA in North America because I'm a licensed US pilot and that's what/where I flew (not currently active) IRL.  From my perspective, prior to Orbx becoming a major developer, GA was almost completely ignored in terms of airports.  I'm VERY pleased to see companies like Turbulent throwing their hats in the ring and adding to the list of folks doing quality regional and GA fields.  There are plenty of devs out there doing Class B type airports.  Don't begrudge us GA guys one or two quality developers who've decided to focus more on the smaller stuff.

Scott

I'm still trying to get used to people calling airports like  KGPI "small" (although, obviously I get why). It has literally taken me a few months just to complete the Terminal area! haha

We've put so much stuff in to this airport that the thought of anything bigger is horrifying! :D Developers doing bigger airports have my respect.

Thanks,
Russ

logo.png

Russell Linn

Art Director

Turbulent Designs