Sign in to follow this  
ModelTrainGuy

Ice buildup on windshield?

Hi,

Does anyone know what this "smudge" is on the windshield? I noticed it during my flight from Cincinnati to Anchorage and I couldn't figure out what it was. Did PMDG model windshield icing or something? I didn't think that was possible (yet) in the sim?

b5390d39cdbdda26af850d81b50efa5f.jpg

Ryan Cornett

To me the shape appears to be too designed to be ice. Try switching to a co-pilot view and determine if there is a similar shape on the other side.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Do you turn on Anti-Ice and see what's happening? :biggrin:

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

To me the shape appears to be too designed to be ice. Try switching to a co-pilot view and determine if there is a similar shape on the other side.

It was only on the Captains side.

1 hour ago, PaulGR said:

Do you turn on Anti-Ice and see what's happening? :biggrin:

Yeah, that was my first course of action.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot my name.

Ryan Cornett

I'm cruising now and don't have it yet but my anti-ice is on auto...
Going to turn it off and window heat and see what's up

**edit. 
I have a feeling you have a texture where somebody painted over glass :P

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Looks like the windshield is de-laminating. That's what it looks like. I believe it has been said before.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

35 minutes ago, 19dcavscout said:

Looks like the windshield is de-laminating.

A common problem on all aircraft. There are limits in the 744 maintenance manual. In this particular corner of the #1 and #2 windows, the delamination limits are stated as being 10 inches in one particular airline's manual. I think if you measure 10" from that particular corner of the window (both upwards and inboard along the window frame) and mark these points, then draw a diagonal line from these two points, any delamination within this triangular area is acceptable.

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

This is delamination effect, appears from time to time on different windows, it's like the pen and the soda cans. An eye candy ;)

• Upvote 3

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Kyle,

It will be interesting to see if the delamination gets bigger or the screen fails completely!  If this happens on a B747 in flight I understand it can fail with a loud bang and the heated windscreen may bulge outwards by a couple of inches.  Yet another good reason to strap myself into my gaming chair flying the PMDG QOTS!!!

Bertie