Sign in to follow this  
DaveJM69

Default and ORBX Hard winter textures showing during Jan & Feb (UK) regardless of weather.

Hi All, does anybody know how to disable, or change the hard winter textures showing during the months of January and February in the UK, regardless of the weather. I have found that with both the default and ORBX textures, if you select the simulator time, it presents the UK covered in snow, regardless of the realtime weather??? I am thinking of saving the winter texture plates in a separate folder for manual input when it is snowing, but to copy the fall textures and rename a set ‘winter’ and use these. Would that work, or is there an easier work around? Grateful for any advice.

Cheers, Dave

Change Winter to Summer and ta-da!  It magically turns green.   Selecting simulator time will send it back to the current time and season.  

For example if you fly in Australia right now its summer and Orbx textures will be Summer textures.  

Unfortunately neither the default sim nor Orbx can predict on a daily basis if the ground is covered in snow or not.   

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Hi Jason, yes I get that, but I just wanted to fly as per the simulator time but with correct scenery for the time of year, as it is not always snowing during Jan & Feb, in fact it is quite unusual down south. Before a very recent re-install I could have sworn that the winter ground textures were drab winter but no snow, but when AS real time weather kicked in, and it was snowing at Bristol, the ground textures also changed to snow. I must have imagined it, but thanks VM for your reply.

Ground textures are programmed to be global, not local.  It is possible to do what you want to do but at what cost?

Like Jason said, just change the calendar to match your desired weather.  If it looks right who cares what month the sim is set to?

Dale

• Like 1

Changing the  date means you are not flying with real weather.

Harry Woodrow

15 hours ago, DaveJM69 said:

Hi All, does anybody know how to disable, or change the hard winter textures showing during the months of January and February in the UK, regardless of the weather. I have found that with both the default and ORBX textures, if you select the simulator time, it presents the UK covered in snow, regardless of the realtime weather??? I am thinking of saving the winter texture plates in a separate folder for manual input when it is snowing, but to copy the fall textures and rename a set ‘winter’ and use these. Would that work, or is there an easier work around? Grateful for any advice.

Cheers, Dave

Do you have Orbx England? They have custom season files that change the display of seasonal textures. It has to do with the date and time you set fsx and p3d to. This month I believe is hard winter by default.

If your using a weather engine like AS (live or historical) then whatever month you set within the sim is completely evelevent. If you dont like "hard winter" set the month to March.

job done!

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Yes. But If you fly today and you want todays weather this would not help. Even if you find a March 2017 date with related weather, day and night time will differ significantly. I think this problen cannot be solved.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

40 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Yes. But If you fly today and you want todays weather this would not help. Even if you find a March 2017 date with related weather, day and night time will differ significantly. I think this problen cannot be solved.

If you use AS weather engine and use historical weather and set it for this morning or live weather thats current now, you get todays weather regardless of what month/season you have set in P3D. The only difference would be the amount off daylight hours within the day and what the OP wants, not a hard winter.

The live weather does not read the date or time you have within the sim as it would have no idea what the weather is going to be in March and even last march has no meaning to it at all.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

You are right again and I shouid have known this. I remember now, that some time ago, I've actually done like you suggested.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

For some reason, I'd have sworn the hard winter textures display based on temperature i.e. early Jan, 10 deg C gives winter textures and early Jan, -5 deg C gives hard winter..........I could've imagined this of course.  Or is that what dictates snow as precipitation?

Cheers

Paul Golding

25 minutes ago, Paul Golding said:

For some reason, I'd have sworn the hard winter textures display based on temperature i.e. early Jan, 10 deg C gives winter textures and early Jan, -5 deg C gives hard winter..........I could've imagined this of course.  Or is that what dictates snow as precipitation?

The textures that are displayed(snow, grass, whatever) are "baked" in to the bgl files.  They do not change "on the fly" or in relation to any variable other than the date set in the flight simulator.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

11 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

Do you have Orbx England? They have custom season files that change the display of seasonal textures. It has to do with the date and time you set fsx and p3d to. This month I believe is hard winter by default.

Hi, yes I do have ORBX England, I will have to check out the custom season settings when I return home (currently working away), but thanks for your reply. Also, thanks to everyone else for your replies and input, much appreciated! 👍

5 hours ago, klamal said:

The textures that are displayed(snow, grass, whatever) are "baked" in to the bgl files.  They do not change "on the fly" or in relation to any variable other than the date set in the flight simulator.

There is a bgl file that controls snowfall levels, Orbx claim to make a custom one for their regions that changes the level of snow depending on the date.