Hello,

I am planning to order another CyperpowerPC computer build (I did one about 6 years ago) for use for P3DV4.  Here are the specs without any upgrades:

Windows 10 Home

Intel® Core™ Processor i7-8700K

GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X

16GB ADATA XPG Z1 3000MHz RAM

CyberpowerPC Z370 SLI Xtreme ATX RGB Motherboard

250GB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD

2TB SATA3 7200 RPM HD

Cooler Master MasterBox 5t Gaming Case

I was going to add the overclocking they provide (30%) and looking at a 500GB SSD instead of the 250GB.  I think it comes with a 800 watt PSU.  So my question is, are there any upgrades that I should do now so that I do not have regrets in the near future?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Ken

Looks pretty solid.  Would be tempted to change the SSD for a 500gb model tho

• Upvote 1

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Looks good.

I second the suggestion that a 500GB SSD would be worthwhile. I read the Samsung 960 and Crucial Mx500 are going to be good performers.

What cooling solution are you opting for?

Regards

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I agree with the others, if you plan on putting your sim(s) and addons on the 250 gig, it may get a little tight down the line.  

Do you know whose Z370 motherboard that is?  Asus?  ASRock?  Gigabyte?  Intel reference?  Etc.?
I'm also not sure I'd pay for a SLI board, if I were not planning on running SLI, unless the cost was the same.  It may well be the same though, I don't know.  I've always avoided SLI and FS

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

14 hours ago, Mace said:

I agree with the others, if you plan on putting your sim(s) and addons on the 250 gig, it may get a little tight down the line.  

Do you know whose Z370 motherboard that is?  Asus?  ASRock?  Gigabyte?  Intel reference?  Etc.?
I'm also not sure I'd pay for a SLI board, if I were not planning on running SLI, unless the cost was the same.  It may well be the same though, I don't know.  I've always avoided SLI and FS

The web site says MSI Z370

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Right now the build includes this motherboard: MSI Z370 - A PRO ATX RGB Motherboard, but there are other ones to choose from.

My dilemma now what kind of SSD/HDD combination I need.  I'm thinking about a 500gb SSD for Windows 10, then a 1TB SSD for P3Dv4 and a mechanical HDD for storage.  I am confused on the whole M.2 SATA/PCIe setup and the order page doesn't really help me at all.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Ken

You might consider a slightly larger PSU to give you a bit of headroom in the event you add another 1080TI in SLI later on.  Not sure it's critical at this stage, but maybe something to consider.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

15 hours ago, supernova48 said:

Right now the build includes this motherboard: MSI Z370 - A PRO ATX RGB Motherboard, but there are other ones to choose from.

My dilemma now what kind of SSD/HDD combination I need.  I'm thinking about a 500gb SSD for Windows 10, then a 1TB SSD for P3Dv4 and a mechanical HDD for storage.  I am confused on the whole M.2 SATA/PCIe setup and the order page doesn't really help me at all.

Thanks,

Ken

It's not too confusing to be honest. I have a Samsung 960 Evo. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V6E500BW-500GB-Express-Solid/dp/B01M20VBU7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518014813&sr=8-2&keywords=960+evo

What are you confused about. They simply attach directly to a slot on the motherboard. In regard to my Asus board, a slot underneath the PCH heat sink. 

You don't need a separate drive for flight sim. Not these days. 

I have the 500 gb 960 Evo above, and then a 1 TB 850 Pro SSD.

Get yourself a cheap 120GB for system and core apps, 500 for the rest and a mechanical if you need some storage. I moved to all SSD cause they are so cheap these days and that includes my storage drives.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

3 hours ago, PaulGR said:

I moved to all SSD cause they are so cheap these days and that includes my storage drives.

Cheap? It's all relative, I suppose!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

12 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Cheap? It's all relative, I suppose!

I paid $107 for Samsung 850 500GB on Cyber Monday.
Got a crucial 250GB for $63

That is cheap.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

23 minutes ago, PaulGR said:

I paid $107 for Samsung 850 500GB on Cyber Monday.
Got a crucial 250GB for $63

That is cheap.

Whilst 500GB isn't a bad size for the OS and maybe one or two games (I wouldn't personally go for anything smaller), you really need much bigger drives for storage and then they're not cheap. A 1TB SSD, which I would consider to be the smallest useful size as a storage drive, is going to cost at least £250 here in the UK. For the same price you could get an 8TB HDD. Storage doesn't need to be fast and HDDs offer much, much better value/capacity for your money.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

32 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Whilst 500GB isn't a bad size for the OS and maybe one or two games (I wouldn't personally go for anything smaller), you really need much bigger drives for storage and then they're not cheap. A 1TB SSD, which I would consider to be the smallest useful size as a storage drive, is going to cost at least £250 here in the UK. For the same price you could get an 8TB HDD. Storage doesn't need to be fast and HDDs offer much, much better value/capacity for your money.

I can’t argue with this. If someone has a lot of storage then your approach is a no brainer. 

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

On 2/6/2018 at 4:57 PM, supernova48 said:

Thanks,

Ken

If I had to do it over, I would simply get a 1 TB SSD, and a 3 TB external hard drive for backups.  You may only need 500 GB, depends on your needs with your sim/scenery/aircraft, etc.

Instead, what I did was buy two M.2 SSD's (one 250, and one 500) -- the Samsung 960's martin linked to above -- and then a 3 TB external hard drive.  At least that part I did ok on.  :)    What I am getting at, is that I don't know that my more expensive M.2 SSD drives were needed, over a "regular" SSD.  I probably should have bought 1 large SSD and been done with it.  It's only money though.  You can't take it with you.

I said get at least 500 GB in whatever you get, because I can easily see my 500 GB M.2 SSD getting crowded (it's nowhere near full now, but I could see it happening, running multple sims, advanced AI aircraft, the SDK, design projects, and scenery).

The 3 TB external drive is great though.  i hook it up when i need it, leave it on the shelf when I don't.  Big enough for full backup images of the entire system.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

9 hours ago, Mace said:

What I am getting at, is that I don't know that my more expensive M.2 SSD drives were needed, over a "regular" SSD. 

The only thing I've noticed to be honest is boot times are faster and any background stuff fires up quicker.