Sign in to follow this  
funkyhut1

Realism

Hi,

Like I suspect some of us do, I also have the PSX 744 which I've had from the days of PS1. Together with QOTSII v3, they make a really great pair in understanding and enjoying the 747-400 in the flight sim world.

A couple of days ago I had a fuel imbalance warning in the QOTSII and didn't have a clue what it meant so I ignored it and continued uneventfully to my destination.

After arrival I decided to look further into the warning. First I looked here on the Forum and found the reference to the FCOM. That in turn sent me seeking something simpler which pointed me to first, this YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-6LTQ2kGbg&t=524s).

Next I fired up PSX and delved deeply into their manual and Forum and found many differences from the PMDG 744. In turn I started to look at other systems and again found many too.

Let me share an example with the fuel system which ranks as a pinned post on the Forum here, TANK/ENG. Kyle has provided a great explanation and guide on how to fix it. However, in PSX I've found it quite hard to get into that state because if I try to create it, the 1 and 4 X-Feed valves automatically close to remove the warning I've created. Seems there's logic in there based on fuel quantity?

For pure enjoyment, if that is permitted under the Academic version of P3D, the PMDG iteration of the 744 is the best, I love it.

But I suspect that for an academic understanding of what actually goes on, PSX is the place to go?

That's supposition on my part but I'd really like to hear from the "experts" if they have a take on this.

For me there is a place for both.

Thank You.

Chris Stanley VTCC

Hi Chris. I'm also a PSX user.

The cross-feed valves are being closed automatically not by some system logic, but because you have enabled your F/O to perform "silent tasks". If you deselect that option, then you'll have to manage many things on your own, just like in the QOTS II.

Check this screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m390uh77o9tg9m2/psx_silent_tasks.jpg

Hope this helps!

cheers

-E

Enrique Vaamonde

10 hours ago, funkyhut1 said:

However, in PSX I've found it quite hard to get into that state because if I try to create it, the 1 and 4 X-Feed valves automatically close to remove the warning I've created. Seems there's logic in there based on fuel quantity?

If it's automatically doing it, I'd look for some sort of "automatic" setting in an options panel. We have that option as well in our menus, just so people don't have to worry about it. It is, in fact, a manual task for the crew, however.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers