Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

More 2D pop-ups please!

I would like to make a plea to aircraft developers, who don't already do so or who have stopped providing them, to consider adding 2D pop-up panels for some instruments/controls which may be difficult to access or see in their virtual cockpits.  Developers such as PMDG, A2A and others already provide multiple optional 2D pop-ups for monitoring and controlling various functions and these are exceptionally useful and helpful by providing quick and easy access. Even freeware developers such as Manfred Jahn in his amazingly good C-47 provide some really useful pop-up 2D windows. This is all the more important for aircraft with multiple or complex systems which more often than not are being flown in the simulator by just one person and the ability to have a few essential instruments or controls open in 2D pop-ups on a second monitor ready for immediate access is of inestimable value.  

This subject was brought to my attention recently after purchasing the Just Flight VC-10 where the autopilot controls are low down on the pedestal and not in the easiest position to see or access quickly, particularly for example when you are about to disengage the autopilot at low level in the last phase of an ILS approach prior to a manual landing. I'm not sure how difficult these are to include but it seems from their forum however that it is now Just Flight's policy to no longer provide these very useful 2D pop-ups, which I personally consider an unfortunate and retrograde step.

Bill

Bill, the chief reason for the lack of 2d popups is because those have to be duplicated for 2d (flat) windows. With most of the actual sub-systems (such as the mentioned autopilot) being an integral part of the compiled model, creating a 2d version is mostly duplicated work...

...which in turn means longer development time. Someone has to pay for that extra work, so that in turn results in price increases in the released product.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Perhaps that partly explains the higher prices charged by some developers but, leaving aside cost, I personally find them very useful particularly in aircraft where you would otherwise have to do a lot of panning around the flight deck to access various systems. It might also reflect my age as I find 2D pop-ups, which usually can be enlarged if necessary, somewhat easier to see!

Bill

What I do is provide custom "camera views" for folks to use when necessary to reach otherwise hard to reach places. If it isn't too difficult, I can create custom popups using an image of the virtual instrument, then code a simple XML 'gauge' to animate and control the instrument.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sounds like a skill I need to teach myself! One of the great things about flight simulation is all the extra intellectual challenges it can provide!

Bill

I started experimenting a little with Bil''s scenario. Didn't get too far. :)

• Upvote 1