Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

How Do You Assign Cores?

Recently there are several threads referring to assignment of CPU cores to improve performance. In one post there was reference to problems with Milviz Beaver. The solution was to "assign core 1". I opened the Config program and found no such option.

Hope someone will explain this to me.

Thanks

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

I just googled it and this is the first topic I found which seems accurate.

Anyway...it is called Affinity mask what you are looking for.

Sorry, but that doesn't seem to be what I an asking. A number of posts refer to assigning P3D to Core 1, or core 3 and 4, etc,

I already have Affinity Mask set.

Thanks anyway

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

You can do so with Process Lasso.

Hans

• Upvote 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Thank you, After more reading it seems that AM is really just a wayt to inprove framerates?

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

5 minutes ago, OldFlyboy said:

Thank you, After more reading it seems that AM is really just a wayt to inprove framerates?

I would describe it as a way to improve smoothness by keeping processes that interfere with each other from running on the same thread.

• Upvote 3

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

The idea of assigning cores to different tasks is to move away processes running on the first core (thread 0 & 1) because the sims is mainly using the first core to give us more performance. So, with Process Lasso (app. I am using to assign cores to tasks) you can easily move away from first core, applications such Active Sky, Moving map, Web browser or any other applications you are using while you are flying. The nice thing about Process Lasso is, if you are not running it, your PC is running those applications the normal way. Do a You Tube search about Process Lasso and youu will see how easy is to set it up.

Mike

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

I would describe it as a way to improve smoothness by keeping processes that interfere with each other from running on the same thread.

+1   (or running on the same logical processor, if you want to use technical terms)

If you open Windows Task Manager with P3D running and look at processes, you can set (or check) affinity for each... take a look and see what you have currently set!

Bert

6 hours ago, odourboy said:

+2  Pretty accurate description.  Thanks!

Greg

If you haven't read this, this is in the Prepar3D Tips, Tricks, and How To's.

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

8 hours ago, hvw said:

You can do so with Process Lasso.

Hans

Unnecessary,

This can be done through the command line with no running processes.

Ex: ASN is...

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "AS_P3Dv4" /affinity 0C "C:\Program Files (x86)\HiFi\AS_P3Dv4\AS_P3Dv4.exe"

Cheers,

Mark

• Upvote 1

I have an 8 core processor, and it was explained to me that it spreads processes out more evenly and there should be no need to assign any cores to anything? And I have no affinity mask, everything seems so awesome, stunning actually!! I am not changing anything unless anyone here has any other hints or recommendations that could make it any more awesome!!

Thanks,

Mike 

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB