Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

TFDi Design Boeing 717 PDF Tutorial?

Does anyone know where I can find a good PDF Tutorial document for the TFDi Design Boeing 717? I am not interested in video tutorials. I want a "PMDG tutorial" style document that I can look at as I am flying the plane. There does not seem to be a document of this type included with the product.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have been trying to work this out myself....but i have encountered a problem with the MCP. I can't seem to get the Heading/IAS/Altitude toggles to work properly. Normally, I would use the left mouse button to decrease, and the right mouse button to increase the values. However, neither of these appears to work. Clicking the left mouse button inputs the values on the main displays, but that's it! Does this product use an alternative method to toggle the values on the MCP?? :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Only way I know of is using the mouse scroll. I use Linda and a switch panel.

5 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have been trying to work this out myself....but i have encountered a problem with the MCP. I can't seem to get the Heading/IAS/Altitude toggles to work properly. Normally, I would use the left mouse button to decrease, and the right mouse button to increase the values. However, neither of these appears to work. Clicking the left mouse button inputs the values on the main displays, but that's it! Does this product use an alternative method to toggle the values on the MCP?? :huh:

Try this --- Right click pulls the button out -  thus activating your set point.  

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Another annoying little niggle with this plane is that it disables the standard P3D AutoRudder setting. If I then decide to fly another aircraft (and forget that I need to reactivate AutoRudder), I have no steering control on the ground when I start my taxi.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

22 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Does anyone know where I can find a good PDF Tutorial document for the TFDi Design Boeing 717? I am not interested in video tutorials. I want a "PMDG tutorial" style document that I can look at as I am flying the plane. There does not seem to be a document of this type included with the product.

It's not a tutorial, but halfway or so down, there is a link to the Boeing documentation.

TFDi Forum

N99WB

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Another annoying little niggle with this plane is that it disables the standard P3D AutoRudder setting. If I then decide to fly another aircraft (and forget that I need to reactivate AutoRudder), I have no steering control on the ground when I start my taxi.

Yup it has one or two unique attributes but she is now my go to aircraft for flying-the  windscreen effects and fidelity of the autoland system are great.

I prefer this one to any other jet now

Is there a way to make some of the MCP textures less blurry? The text on buttons appears to be high resolution, but the text on the MCP panel itself looks lower resolution. Quite annoying when I get up close.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I note that there is a thread elsewhere on this forum that mentions selecting AUTOFLIGHT during taxi to initiate the autothrottle. However, isn't AUTOFLIGHT the autopilot activation button? The autopilot is usually not engaged until after take off...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You should take these questions over to the TFDi support forum. They are extremely responsive and if you identify a bug, it's often addressed very quickly. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

15 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I note that there is a thread elsewhere on this forum that mentions selecting AUTOFLIGHT during taxi to initiate the autothrottle. However, isn't AUTOFLIGHT the autopilot activation button? The autopilot is usually not engaged until after take off...

Before takeoff, press autoflight a first time, you will see a Take Off clamp. Push the throttles full foward and thrust will be limited to your selected ERP. After takeoff, whenever you want, press autoflight again and it will engage autopilot. 

19 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Is there a way to make some of the MCP textures less blurry? The text on buttons appears to be high resolution, but the text on the MCP panel itself looks lower resolution. Quite annoying when I get up close.

Set your P3D textures to 2048.

23 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

On the community beta, there is now an option of autorudder in the tablet.

• Upvote 1

Cheers :)

N.-

Thanks for the clarification about the autopilot. I assume that I can set PROF and NAV before take off, but the aircraft will only use these when I press AUTOFLIGHT for the second time?

I have read that selecting 2048 for the texture resolution does not resolve the blurry textures on the MCP itself.....or has that been rectified?

AutoRudder has always been a tablet option for me. My (minor) problem with it is that it disables AutoRudder in the P3D menu (and therefore for any other aircraft in my hangar). Not an insurmountable problem, but I always need to remember to activate it again if I am flying another aircraft!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Another question......how do I extend/retract the slats, and when do I do this? I noted that there is a "Slat Retraction" speed on the FMA that is separate from the "Flap Retraction" speed.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Unlike a "real" Boeing the Autothrottle System (ATS) is much more intertwined with the Autopilot in the B717. Pushing Autoflight while taxiing to departure enables (but not activates) the ATS.

Now when you advance the thrust levers on take off roll the ATS will energize the levers and position them for TO Power (TO Thrust is displayed on FMA. At around 80knots thrust lever servos are decoupled and "Clamped" (TO CLAMP on FMA) which means you can freely move them if necessary. Think of it as Throttle HOLD in a 737. 

To activate the Autopilot you push Autoflight again :)

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Persistence mode is not quite how I want it to be. What I usually do is set up an aircraft for flight, and then save it. This is what I do with the PMDG 737 NGX and 747-400, and everything is saved. However, if I mess up a flight preparation, I can just load the saved flight and start again. Unfortunately, that is not the case with the 717. With Persistence mode ON, it saves settings and changes after every session (irrespective of whether I save the flight or not). With Persistence mode OFF, it saves nothing at all (not even when saving a flight) :sad:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png