Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

P3Dv4 Settings for flying fast fighter jets

Nice video...  looks like the textures are nearly fully sharp in your video...  sometimes they're not but for the payware addon and Orbx I'd say that's pretty dang good!  Way better than what my rig does haha!

Are you running 7cm texture res?  What fps are you at there?  Did you lock or unlimited?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

15cm tetures, locked at 30fps, mostly 30fps in the video.  

• Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

9 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

don't know about going supersonic down low but m0.7-0.8 is doable with decent scenery detail over orbx pnw.

That was impressive! What's the magic trick? :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

24 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Record with 1/2x speed and playback at normal speed. Some developers use this trick to use max settings and make a smooth promo video. 

I only beleave this shown vid is legid If RobA can do it too as he has the fastest pc around...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

16 hours ago, simmerhead said:

This is the kind of flying one should be able to do in a flight sim developed by the worlds largest manufacturer of fighter jets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24mxhEl1B0Y

We need to be careful when we see these showcase videos. Could be recorded slow and rendered fast, but You Tube plays it back at 25 fps and introduces it's own stutters! Anyway, by the end of next week everyone can try 2.5 DCS, for themselves. :cool:

I tried DCS  Normandy fast and low and got very nice smooth flight, then put some units on the map with a battle going on ( it's a combat sim after all?) and got a stuttering slide show. No video showed that before I bought it? It just was not optimised for combat!  I will try 2.5 before buying anything else!

DCS has the advantage of being able to select the area size you want loaded into your simulators memory. If you have 32 GB RAM and a 1080ti with 11 GB video ram, you can load a huge area into RAM. That helps rendering speed and permits fast and low without blurries. But again we are talking external cinematic type views. Without any smoke, dust, flames and moving objects. Realistically at fast and low in combat, your eyeballs are pinned to the HUD whist your hands are burning holes in your HOTAS. No time to go look outside!:blink:

Back to Prepared, I turn autogen buildings off in Orbx. Those oversize objects seem to cause my system to stutter. I like the Orbx trees, but they can be stuttery. I turn everything else up and don't mess with the cfg. But no two P3d installs will run the same, so my advice probably isn't worth a hill of beans!

I believe the answer is a GPU with massive VRam, so it can have all the scenery ready to render. But the simulator needs to be optimised, for the hardware. Prepared is still FSX under the hood.:huh:

Best regards.

23 minutes ago, charlie130 said:

Back to Prepared, I turn autogen buildings off in Orbx. Those oversize objects seem to cause my system to stutter. I like the Orbx trees, but they can be stuttery. I turn everything else up and don't mess with the cfg. But no two P3d installs will run the same, so my advice probably isn't worth a hill of beans!

I believe the answer is a GPU with massive VRam, so it can have all the scenery ready to render. But the simulator needs to be optimised, for the hardware. 

Some good advice here too. I have vegetation autogen on sparse and building autogen on whatever the normal setting is.

Also, GPU VRAM is important with P3D. 

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

Record with 1/2x speed and playback at normal speed. Some developers use this trick to use max settings and make a smooth promo video. 

I only beleave this shown vid is legid If RobA can do it too as he has the fastest pc around...

no, this was recorded at normal speed. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

4 hours ago, simmerhead said:

depends on hw setup and slider settings but on my setup, getting rid of slow texture loading was improved by combination of 1) am=93 and run tir and asp4 on the open cores, 2) fftf=0.133, 3) limit fps=30.  

as it can be observed in the vid, there are still occasional stutters and fps dips, as well as texture trying to catch up in places.  youtube rendering also introduces some stuttering but if you look, there is some stuttering, especially in the urban areas in the beginning of the vid.   orbx socal east of klax isn't that smooth, unfortunately.  photoreal areas run better except when loading high detail airports.  

5 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

no, this was recorded at normal speed. 

Sorry bro, but I have a very hard time beleaving flying at 700 knots close to the ground , in a detailed Orbx scenery and not suffering from any blurries. Especially with a medium fast pc like yours. 

I asked a Fs friend of mine with a 8700@4.6 GHz to try it too and he was getting blurries above 400 knots. He had his LOD at the lowest setting. And he tried on a HD monitor, not even an UHD ... He used 60 cm textures resolution, not even 15 cm.  And I see an overcast which is heavy on the system..

However, if you are happy , then that's all that counts .:cool:

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

Sorry bro, but I have a very hard time beleaving flying at 700 knots close to the ground , in a detailed Orbx scenery and not suffering from any blurries. Especially with a medium fast pc like yours. 

I asked a Fs friend of mine with a 8700@4.6 GHz to try it too and he was getting blurries above 400 knots. He had his LOD at the lowest setting. And he tried on a HD monitor, not even an UHD ... He used 60 cm textures resolution, not even 15 cm.  And I see an overcast which is heavy on the system..

However, if you are happy , then that's all that counts .:cool:

lol, i know this is the age of conspiracy theories, troll farms, and bots, but this takes the cake.

if you watch the video towards the end, i used the mouse to switch the mfd mode--the speed of mouse movement isn't 2x. never mind the occasional stuttering and morphing you see in the video.  

i don't think it's particularly nice to accuse someone of being a liar on a public forum.  no?

2 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

lol, i know this is the age of conspiracy theories, troll farms, and bots, but this takes the cake.

if you watch the video towards the end, i used the mouse to switch the mfd mode--the speed of mouse movement isn't 2x. never mind the occasional stuttering and morphing you see in the video.  

i don't think it's particularly nice to accuse someone of being a liar on a public forum.  no?

1 Where did you read the word liar ? But yes, I din’t beleave this is legit

2 Also a mouse can be moved slowly

3 My friend has a faster pc than you , the pc is configured very well , but cannot even come close to what yours should be capable of

This is the last I thing I am writing about it.

Like I wrote before : as long as you are happy with your Sim

I don't think he was flying 700 kts fwiw

@kdfw__?

400 kts?

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 1/21/2018 at 0:39 PM, Henry Street said:

Some good advice here too. I have vegetation autogen on sparse and building autogen on whatever the normal setting is.

Also, GPU VRAM is important with P3D. 

Quite right Henry. Add to that. PCIE SSD. 3500 mb/second versus 520 mb/second. Getting the bits from that into the  RAM ( that needs to be quick as well, ddr4) and the GPU, so it can produce those pixels on the screen as fast as it can. All we want is for those little pixels to be rendered on and off at the fastest speed possible!:cool:

By reducing the sliders, we see less, we therefore have less to blur. But at over 400 knots at very low level, your eyes can't focus on single objects, more like your brain just gets a sketch of what's passing your jet. The world is a blur....only the HSI, radar and HUD are clear enough for the brain to register what's there. 

Another thing that I see which helps smoothness is snow! Try flying over the winter landscape (consisting of snow) and the GPU breathes a sigh of relief and just has to work on the trees!:laugh:

Best regards

David

15 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I don't think he was flying 700 kts fwiw

@kdfw__?

400 kts?

yes, around 400kts or m0.6 as indicated on the HUD.  maneuverability greater than transonic speed is quite bad.  

the new aerosoft f14 for p3dv4 down low and fast.