Sign in to follow this  
johnk51

LJ 35A panel lights GPS problem

Last night I did a flight where I landed in the dark.  I'm flying the DNS model.  I couldn't turn on the panel lights, nor the panel gauges.  It was hard to see anything.  I looked in the manual, and nothing about lighting.  I tried shift+L and it didn't do anything.  How do you turn on the lights?  Also my GPS doesn't have terrain map, only the black.  And when I was making my approach to KMSP, I couldn't select an approach.  The Proc work and showed select an approach,  but I couldn't get to do anything.  My 402C, the GPS works like it should, but not the LJ.  Even when selecting VNAV I can't select waypoints in the flight plan to add the alt I need.  I've looked at all the files in the panel and I guess they are all there and correct.  I bought the LJ35 on 1/2/18, so I assume I have the current version.  Any ideas?

I'm using FSX:SE with window 10 pro 64-bit

John K

Got the interior lights figured out, but there was noting in the manual as to were the knobs where. I did do another flight and the approach proc worked.  But I couldn't get the vnav working.  It only worked with vors.  If I had waypoint, it wouldn't let me choose the to set an alt.  But I think I'm going to get the 750/650 gauge from Flight1.

John K

19 minutes ago, johnk51 said:

Got the interior lights figured out, but there was noting in the manual as to were the knobs where. I did do another flight and the approach proc worked.  But I couldn't get the vnav working.  It only worked with vors.  If I had waypoint, it wouldn't let me choose the to set an alt.  But I think I'm going to get the 750/650 gauge from Flight1.

Hi John,

Sorry you had issues - yeah - the lights are down the side panels...

Honestly the GTN is a worthy investment - even with the FSW modifications to the Lear GPS - it's still really the default GPS with all its warts... The default GPS is fine if you just fly from point A to point B without variation - once you add any more realist ATC to the mix such as RC4, VatSim, VOXATC, or PilotEdge - it comes up far short... You can't do some of the most common tasks assigned to pilots when flying in the ATC system - such as a "Direct To"... It's been this way for a very long time hence the advent of 3rd party GPS gauges... The GTN is light years better than the old GNS - even if it worked right... The GTN supports airways - where the GNS does not - so you have to twist and turn your knobs through every painful waypoint entry on the GNS... In an aircraft such as a Lear - capable of leaping halfway across the country in a single bound - it can truly test your patience and perseverance... The GTN is so much more intuitive... Best of luck - this plane is a challenge to fly and a hoot when you pull that off well...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

5 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi John,

Sorry you had issues - yeah - the lights are down the side panels...

Honestly the GTN is a worthy investment - even with the FSW modifications to the Lear GPS - it's still really the default GPS with all its warts... The default GPS is fine if you just fly from point A to point B without variation - once you add any more realist ATC to the mix such as RC4, VatSim, VOXATC, or PilotEdge - it comes up far short... You can't do some of the most common tasks assigned to pilots when flying in the ATC system - such as a "Direct To"... It's been this way for a very long time hence the advent of 3rd party GPS gauges... The GTN is light years better than the old GNS - even if it worked right... The GTN supports airways - where the GNS does not - so you have to twist and turn your knobs through every painful waypoint entry on the GNS... In an aircraft such as a Lear - capable of leaping halfway across the country in a single bound - it can truly test your patience and perseverance... The GTN is so much more intuitive... Best of luck - this plane is a challenge to fly and a hoot when you pull that off well...

Regards,
Scott

Gotta agree with Scott (not myself) on this one. No offense to the devs here, but the GNS that came with the Mu convinced me that I needed a quality 3rd party gps. I have never looked back. And now that F1 gives us both the 750 and 650 AND both of those for FSX and P3dv2-4, it's a great buy. 

The other upside is that so many payware devs integrate the 750 into their planes, so you definitely get your money's worth.

:-)

I did buy the Flight1 GTN yesterday.  Haven't really got flying with it yet, but I did look at the video at flight1 and it does look good.  I guess I've been soiled with PDMGs 737, 777,747.  Thanks for all the help.  I also have the 402c, and I got that loaded also.

• Upvote 1

John K

Hi Bjoern,

I would probably be too - if I could do a Direct To without blowing away my flight plan - that's my biggest peeve with default - something that should have been fixed in the default GPS eons ago... RC4 throws them at me all the time...

Regards,

Scott

2 hours ago, scottb613 said:

I would probably be too - if I could do a Direct To without blowing away my flight plan - that's my biggest peeve with default - something that should have been fixed in the default GPS eons ago... RC4 throws them at me all the time...

Umm, skipping a waypoint or five is perfectly possible:

http://forums.bvartcc.com/index.php?topic=1113.0

Y'all need to go back to FSX ground school.

Next thing you're telling me that you've never flown a specific approach with FSX' default GPS and ATC...

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hi Bjoern,

LOL - I've never used FSX - possibly my issue - FS9 ground school ?

:tongue:

Perhaps I've been operating under a gross misconception - off to be enlightened by following your link...

Regards,
Scott

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

Umm, skipping a waypoint or five is perfectly possible:

http://forums.bvartcc.com/index.php?topic=1113.0

Y'all need to go back to FSX ground school.

Next thing you're telling me that you've never flown a specific approach with FSX' default GPS and ATC...

That's because in your example there is only PVD Vor to go direct to.

Try it with a plan with multiple waypoints ahead of the one you decide to go direct to.

In my experience it wipes out your plan.

3 hours ago, Glynn said:

That's because in your example there is only PVD Vor to go direct to.

Try it with a plan with multiple waypoints ahead of the one you decide to go direct to.

In my experience it wipes out your plan.

As the article says, you can skip to any waypoint in your flight plan.

10 hours ago, Bjoern said:

As the article says, you can skip to any waypoint in your flight plan.

And what happens to the rest of the waypoints after the one you dir-to ?

unless i am doing something wrong, whenever I do a dir-to I lose all of the the remaining waypoints in my plan.

Selecting a waypoint in a flight plan does absolutely not use the "Direct To" function (which indeed wipes out the flightplan) in the default GPS, as evident in the article.