Sign in to follow this  
Hammer308

CTD issue with FSX & Windows 7

Recently re-installed FSX Gold & Acceleration Pack. Have a 3.4Gb Phenom II Quad Core, EVGA 550Ti vcard & 8Gb Gskill "Ripjaws Red" 1333 RAM, and Windows 7 64bit. I realize this isn't a great sys., but when I had an older sys., everything worked fine. The issue is this: Even with settings on the low side, I'm getting less than 25 fps. Also, having trouble finishing flights due to CTD. Flights I do finish are not being recorded on the pilot log.

Anyone with ideas to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

I think it's difficult to answer with so little details. Did you look in the windows event viewer log why it crashed? It would be useful to give you some suggestions for solutions.

18 hours ago, Hammer308 said:

Also, having trouble finishing flights due to CTD. Flights I do finish are not being recorded on the pilot log.

The problem with FSX is that it is a 32 bit application and Microsoft only gave FSX up to 4GB's of Virtual Address Space (VAS) on a 64-bit Operating System.  You run out of VAS and FSX will crash and sometimes tell you why (ran out of memory) or just crash.  On long flights over 2 hours, the liklihood of landing decreases dramatically and this is when your system is using up more and more of those 4GB's.  When I fly a flight lasting a little over 2 hours with a payware aircraft like the PMDG 777, payware airports, and using AS16, I sit in front of my monitor wondering every second whether the sim will allow me to land and taxi after the long flight or not.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.  If in heavy weather situations, the liklihood decreases.  If you have any autogen turned on, the chances of landing are even less likely.  See the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for more information (link in my signature).

Recommend you check out the AVSIM CTD Guide (link in my signature).  Page 10 provides a way to investigate your crashes and to figure out why it crashes.  For instance, your FSX may not like the fact your settings in the fsx.cfg or display driver are too high.  They may not like certain scenery or a module loaded by a developer to make their product work better with more immersion into flight.  In the CTD Guide you'll be able to how to set up the fsuipc utility to monitor your VAS.  The fsuipc utility is free.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10