Sign in to follow this  
RudiJG1

Weird graphic issue

Something is causing a periodic, repetitive flashing of a ground object (appears to be a ground cart), and the flashing happens about once every second....weird. I've never seen this before and am racking my brain trying to determine what's caused it. I'm running with the sim (P3Dv4) the following add-ons: AS (networked), AivlaSoft EFB, Chaseplane, TIR.

Here's a rough video of the issue in the NGX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tld4a3aszr2h1s2/P3D glitch.avi?dl=0 The odd flashing graphic persists in flight, too...very annoying.

I can't track this oddity down and need your collective experience and wisdom. I've tried several solutions, including eliminating addons, flushing the shader cache, changing the video driver, and unplugging controllers but have been unsuccessful in finding the problem. I'd be grateful simply to be pointed in another direction before I resort to a complete re-install of P3D (ugh). Thanks.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Any time I get a flashing/strobing I think "corrupt video driver."

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

24 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

Any time I get a flashing/strobing I think "corrupt video driver."

blaustern

Me too, but have gone that route already...and what about the strange ground cart phantom (the "flasher")?

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Wayne,

By the look of that video, you need to go three houses to your right, grab the sliders and bring them back to your house. LOL It really does look  alarming and horrible to say the least.

Seriously though, my first thought was a driver problem but you obviously have that covered. My second thought recalls the same problem albeit with FS2004 and it involved all my aircraft. I updated drivers, pulled out some hair, figured that it was not the friver (or the hair), eventually uninstalled FS2004 and reinstalled it. I noted at the time that even the basic FS2004 suffered the same problem and this brought on a rethink.

I eventually solved the problem entirely by opening the computer, pulling out the graphic cards (three of them), a wipe of the contacts and a clean up using an electrical cleaner in a spray can (instant technician) re-installing the cards and hey presto. I do not know if this can solve your problem but it has to be worth your effort if you feel happy enought to play around with your computer components.  Turn it off and unplug it first of course and please wear a static electricity strap as GPUs can be fairly expensive to replace.

I have to say that I cannot see the problem being a PMDG one and if you have not reset your settings I can't see it being A fs platform problem either.  I am not, however a technician nor am I really technically orientated.

I wish you luck

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Isn't this one of the NGX's ground units?
It says UNITED in there. Where you flying this livery?

• Upvote 1

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Guest alanmetcalf

Hello

I don't think it's hardware, looks life file corruption of some sort. I agree with you it,s a United ground generator or ac unit that's popping in. I would do a clean reinstall of the NGX for starters.

It's the cause of the corruption that's the main issue. May have been a power spike, false shut down etc. Think about the history of this problem to help give you clues. 

A clean reinstall?  That is a myth.  Anytime you remove and reinstall software you are more likely to create new problems in addition to the one you have as you are to solve a problem.  I recommend shedding the EFB and the Chaseplane to see if that changes the symptoms.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest alanmetcalf

Sorry Dan I thought Wayne said he has eliminated the addons already. Unfortunately reinstalling software sometimes has to be done if the damage is extensive. But I agree all other options should be explored first. What do your system logging records say Wayne? Before you say anything,  I am not trying to be PMDG support, I just saw the post and am simply interested what the outcome will be for this unusual problem.

4 hours ago, alanmetcalf said:

Sorry Dan I thought Wayne said he has eliminated the addons already. Unfortunately reinstalling software sometimes has to be done if the damage is extensive. But I agree all other options should be explored first. What do your system logging records say Wayne? Before you say anything,  I am not trying to be PMDG support, I just saw the post and am simply interested what the outcome will be for this unusual problem.

Folks - Thanks for the suggestions...greatly appreciated. I now believe it's a software issue and that it is tied to an addon, which remains a mystery. But I have a plan...

I've created a vanilla version of P3Dv4.1 using SimStarter NG. This approach allows me to start off with no addons active and then I can add back each addon one at a time in order to discover the offender.

So far, the NGX is cured of the graphics issue with ObjectFlow 2, SODE, UTL, GSX, Coatl, Spotlights, and TIR running...good news! But I have a few more addons to bring back online.

Thanks again.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I've read several problems with SimStarterNG over in the LM P3D forum, it appears there are bugs in it.

Why do you need such a thing anyway?  Isn't it best to have one configuration for the platform that you know works?

Dan Downs KCRP

8 hours ago, downscc said:

I've read several problems with SimStarterNG over in the LM P3D forum, it appears there are bugs in it.

Why do you need such a thing anyway?  Isn't it best to have one configuration for the platform that you know works?

Dan, I use it to run different configs for different aircraft and for day vs night flights. For example, I have a night setting with MSAA selected instead of SSAA, which enhances smoothness and frames with dynamic lighting enabled. The app also allows me to turn off and on various sceneries and simobjects depending and what and where I'm flying. It allows me to test different configurations when beta testing, and it's also handy for testing in the manner I've described in the post above.

No question, its complexity can lead to problems if a user isn't paying close attention to what's being tweaked and if the user fails to RTFM. I've found it very useful in moderation and since I can save various configs, it saves time when launching the sim.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png