Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Some advice on VR

21 hours ago, tonywob said:

I've not yet tried P3D with VR, but very tempted to give it a go to see how it looks and performs. I presume you're using Flyinside?

Tony, if you don't mind trying one another flying sim, check out DCS. Eagle Dynamics did a great job with VR support and it is pretty mature. It gives me the best flying experience from all sims. Immersion is just awesome.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

2 hours ago, twojastara said:

Tony, if you don't mind trying one another flying sim, check out DCS

Oh yep, I have DCS and I of course did try it in VR. I need to spend more time with it, but I was very impressed with the performance. Looking forward to trying out the Huey in 3D :wub:

29 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Oh yep, I have DCS and I of course did try it in VR. I need to spend more time with it, but I was very impressed with the performance. Looking forward to trying out the Huey in 3D :wub:

DCS / il2 are most fun on MP. you should get on to the Aerobatics Online server.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I just received a Google Cardboard for present. If the quality is any comparable with my iPhone powered Google Cardboard, then I will pass this generation of VR. For example, 360° movies are usually crisp, but in Cardboard, they become pixelated and dark.

At the other hand, the fact that everything is real life size and can be manipulated, makes it very immersive (I found some X-PLane VR movies on youtube).

But for now, the price is too high for the quality for my pocket. It is like going back to 640x320 displays.

44 minutes ago, jh71 said:

I just received a Google Cardboard for present. If the quality is any comparable with my iPhone powered Google Cardboard, then I will pass this generation of VR. For example, 360° movies are usually crisp, but in Cardboard, they become pixelated and dark.

At the other hand, the fact that everything is real life size and can be manipulated, makes it very immersive (I found some X-PLane VR movies on youtube).

But for now, the price is too high for the quality for my pocket. It is like going back to 640x320 displays.

you can try XP11 on google cardboard , there is a simple way to implement native VR with google cardboard

let me know if you want to, it will use steamvr and a HMD Driver and it works nicely if your GPU can support it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

you can try XP11 on google cardboard , there is a simple way to implement native VR with google cardboard

let me know if you want to, it will use steamvr and a HMD Driver and it works nicely if your GPU can support it

Running Linux atm, so nogo for the moment :blink:. Yes I have read that.

1 hour ago, jh71 said:

Running Linux atm, so nogo for the moment :blink:. Yes I have read that.

Oh 

22 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Oh 

To be honest, it may make me switch back to windows, but not in the current state. Also LR did not exclude Linux, if Steam VR gets mature enough. 

7 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

I'm going to test this: https://riftcat.com/vridge

"Use VRidge technology to turn your phone into an HTC Vive headset. We will make your computer think that your phone with Google Cardboard is a powerful PC VR headset"

"VRidge will make your PC think that your phone is an expensive HTC Vive or Oculus Rift headset" 

:ha:

1 hour ago, Emerson67 said:

I'm going to test this: https://riftcat.com/vridge

"Use VRidge technology to turn your phone into an HTC Vive headset. We will make your computer think that your phone with Google Cardboard is a powerful PC VR headset"

"VRidge will make your PC think that your phone is an expensive HTC Vive or Oculus Rift headset" 

:ha:

Hi,

I have tried it but i prefer "iVRy" using steamvr with the HMD driver. it's very easy to setup . of course it won't be complete like a OR or HTC headset but it's still good. The App is a payware btw i think around 500 Rs. (indian) 

Why not try both Riftcat and iVRy and see the difference ? 

3 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Hi,

I have tried it but i prefer "iVRy" using steamvr with the HMD driver. it's very easy to setup . of course it won't be complete like a OR or HTC headset but it's still good. The App is a payware btw i think around 500 Rs. (indian) 

Why not try both Riftcat and iVRy and see the difference ? 

I've installed Riftcat and SteamVR software stuff and succeeded to VR-render XP11 on my phone through USB3 connection. The rendering works very well. However, It seems I can't interact with XP in VR without physical VR controllers, so i got stuck in the virtual hangar that shows up when the XP11's VR session begins. I'm looking for a solution, if any. Is it supposed the mouse to work on XP 11 VR?

I will try iVRy.

An update:

I've found I just need to press the Enter key to enter my last session aircraft. The other keyboard keys also work in the hangar, so I can walk around the hangar if I wish.

The virtual cockpit controls work in synch with my physical joystick, wich is nice! So far, so good.

"GPU load" is 50% (GPU-Z info). GTX 1080.

• Upvote 1

I've made some test flights, and I came to conclusion that my phone is not capable to decode the video stream at a satisfactory resolution and frame rate that makes my "phone-based" VR flight a good experience. Possibly, a more powerful phone can do it well. The scenery and the instrument panel were too blurry (for practical purposes, IFR training, etc.), and I've got some artifacts on the image due to processing lag.

Another note: no 6-DOF: the head XYZ position was fixed. I can vary the line of sight only. Trackir 5, by instance, does 6-DOF.

Nevertheless, it was a good proof of concept. A powerful phone is recommended.

2 hours ago, Emerson67 said:

I've made some test flights, and I came to conclusion that my phone is not capable to decode the video stream at a satisfactory resolution and frame rate that makes my "phone-based" VR flight a good experience. Possibly, a more powerful phone can do it well. The scenery and the instrument panel were too blurry (for practical purposes, IFR training, etc.), and I've got some artifacts on the image due to processing lag.

Another note: no 6-DOF: the head XYZ position was fixed. I can vary the line of sight only. Trackir 5, by instance, does 6-DOF.

Nevertheless, it was a good proof of concept. A powerful phone is recommended.

I use it on a S4 GT-i9500 no issues and the cockpit was clear, but my GPU ain't capable because it's a low end GT630,

"iVRy" i think it only has 3dof.  Don't know about the riftcat

8 hours ago, Emerson67 said:

I've installed Riftcat and SteamVR software stuff and succeeded to VR-render XP11 on my phone through USB3 connection. The rendering works very well. However, It seems I can't interact with XP in VR without physical VR controllers, so i got stuck in the virtual hangar that shows up when the XP11's VR session begins. I'm looking for a solution, if any. Is it supposed the mouse to work on XP 11 VR?

I will try iVRy.

An update:

I've found I just need to press the Enter key to enter my last session aircraft. The other keyboard keys also work in the hangar, so I can walk around the hangar if I wish.

The virtual cockpit controls work in synch with my physical joystick, wich is nice! So far, so good.

"GPU load" is 50% (GPU-Z info). GTX 1080.

Yep the Enter key in the hangar works, the best is that one can disable / enable VR on the fly in XP which is not the case in il2 / DCS.

5 hours ago, Emerson67 said:

've made some test flights, and I came to conclusion that my phone is not capable to decode the video stream at a satisfactory resolution and frame rate that makes my "phone-based" VR flight a good experience

Before buying the Oculus Rift, I used VR on my iPhone 8+. with a cheap headset ($15). Head tracking fully worked and also the image was pretty clear. What surprised me is that it actually was clearer and higher res that what I see on Oculus Rift, however the Oculus Rift puts you right inside the plane.