After a PC rebuild and reinstall, I’m now having MAJOR problems with my Saitek throttle quadrants in P3Dv4, when (trying) to use them with FSUIPC.

I’m posting here as I’ve already spoken with Pete and sent him logs, and he’s certain the issue isn’t with FSUIPC.  That leaves me at a complete lossL

In all my years with FSX & P3D, I’ve always used the registered version of FSUIPC to control all my FS controllers, with both calibration and assignments, so have a reasonable working knowledge of setting it all up.

My throttle setup is a little unusual, but only in that both quadrants are USB units.  I don’t have a Saitek Yoke, so there is not the usual PS2 connection from yoke to throttle. Both Throttle Quadrants are almost new, with just a few hours use on them.  Both units are plugged into separate motherboard USB ports (no USB hub).

Some Info:

If running FSX, P3D, X-Plane, DCS, or any other game that can use the throttles, they calibrate smoothly and work perfectly.  There’s also an app within Windows10 called ‘joy.cpl’ that allows manual testing of all controllers.  This shows that all is well.  All six axis calibrate and operate smoothly here too.  It’s always the same levers/pots that ‘misbehave’ – 2 & 3 of both quadrants.  Normally, I’d say this suggests problems with the units themselves.  But they’re new, and the same two pots on both of them?  AND the fact they work fine in everything else?  How can it be?

HOWEVER….  If I disable the controllers within the game, and try using FSUIPC, then four of the six axis behave very similar to when either the pots are damaged, or multiple assignments are conflicting.  As in, when they’re moved, the sim throttles jump up and down and are more or less uncontrollable.

It’s driving me nuts not being able to assign my throttles in FSUIPC, as I normally setup different profiles for different aircraft.  Obviously, I can’t do this from within the sim.

I have no issues with the flight stick.

If anyone has ANY ideas what else I might try, I’d be grateful.

Phil,

I thought there was an issue having 2 Saitek USB throttle quadrants. Hence why one has a PS/2 connector. That helps Windows differentiate between them. Are you definitely seeing two separate quadrants in Devices and Printers?

Have a look at the FSUIPC.ini file and see if Pete has assigned each a unique device name. If they’re the same that would explain your problem. If Windows cannot differentiate between them then FSUIPC can’t.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 21/01/2018 at 1:09 PM, Dougal said:

If anyone has ANY ideas what else I might try, I’d be grateful.

Best guess is it's a multiple mapping conflict rather than a hardware problem. Your setup is not that unusual and there is no problem using more than one USB quad with FSUIPC. Since you mention throttles specifically, you probably know there are two ways to set up the throttles - one using the individual throttles (throttle1, throttle2, etc) and one using the generic 'throttle' mappings. Are you sure you are not mixing these up in some way? It would only take one rogue erroneous throttle mapping to upset all the throttles. Likewise props and/or mixtures.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

27 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Best guess is it's a multiple mapping conflict rather than a hardware problem. Your setup is not that unusual and there is no problem using more than one USB quad with FSUIPC. Since you mention throttles specifically, you probably know there are two ways to set up the throttles - one using the individual throttles (throttle1, throttle2, etc) and one using the generic 'throttle' mappings. Are you sure you are not mixing these up in some way? It would only take one rogue erroneous throttle mapping to upset all the throttles. Likewise props and/or mixtures.

Hi Mark and thanks for the feedback.

Yes I'm aware of the different mapping.  Although I've been using FSUIPC to run the exact same setup for years, I've now tried just about every other combination available to get it working, without success:-(  I've had to revert to assigning via P3D for now, but this means I can't use different profiles for different aircraft:-(  It can't be the quadrants can it, otherwise the same problems would exist in that scenario too?  And yet, FSUIPC hasn't changed.

Tried deleting the FSUIPC.ini, let it rebuild a new one and start over with assignments?

Did you disable controls from P3D menu? I've found I have controller issues if I don't do that when using FSUIPC. I expect you would have but I've run three throttles, one being the Yoke unit without issues previously.

Reading your post non of this is evident in the Win 10 Game Controller Calibration app? If there is a hardware issue it will definitely show up here.

As Adrian suggested, remove the FSUIPC .ini file & see if that makes a difference, I have in the past found it the only way to rectify an odd repeating occurrence with FSUIPC which I couldn't fix by re setting in the FSUIPC GUI.

In the meantime are you aware you can save controller profiles in P3D now? Would mean manually importing the individual one for each aircraft when in use though. Also if the throttles are behaving OK here then again it indicates your hardware is fine.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit