Sign in to follow this  
mikced76

AI traffic at non towerd airports

Is there a way to get AI IFR flights to use non towered airports in VoxATC? I fly to many smaller airports in Norway that has AFIS service (Unicom) in FS and in real life but with that service alone does not generate any traffic from what I experience. If I add a tower position in the afcad I do get traffic but I prefer to mirror real world procedures and ”fake” tower control position would ruin the experience :)

mike

Adding a tower position (a red T inside a red circle) in ADE adds nothing visible to an airport. It only adds a tower view to the sim's View menu. For the airport to have a tower control it must have a tower comm frequency. A visible control tower object  is added in ADE from a  model library. That model also would have no impact on the control at the airport, but then the airport would look unrealistic. Which one(s) did you change?

In any case, I just checked. I updated Tofino/Long Beach in BC. fsaerodata assigns it Multicom, FSS and Center frequencies, but no tower comm. I have an AI traffic schedule for Orca Airways in which all the flights are IFR and they do takeoff and land. Maybe the ADE tower view does make VOXATC do what you say it does, but since it's invisible in the sim, I never thought about it before.

I did not mean a visible red tower circle I meant that adding a tower com freq get me traffic and removing it and only having CTAF or unicom gets me no IFR traffic. What you write however is very interesting! So you are saying you get IFR scheduled traffic to a non towered airport by having a center freq, a multicom and an FSS. I need to try this! 

By the way I see you also use fsaerodata, great addon to get real updated procedures. The only problem I have really experienced so far is that the COM names are a bit strange. For example Bergen Flesland (ENBR) airport gets a ground control called "Bergen deicing" ground control. Probably a lot of freq in the raw data it uses. I just wish we could manually update these. I know you can deselect the com freq all together from within fsaeroidata but overall the com names are ok.        

If you want to be adventurous, try creating a test flight schedule using AIFP that uses one of your Norway airports and then see if those AI aircraft will use it. VOXATC is quite mysterious in its relationship to non-tower airports. Sometimes I have VFR Cessnas doing endless touch and goes. Other times I see no traffic at all.

AIFP:

http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE