Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

My first big repaint!

I always reckoned the A380 would look better done up as an Orca. This is how I spent the majority of my Sunday evening, embroiled in DXTBmp and paint.net. To make matters worse (initially) the paintkit files were photoshop ones. They have to be flipped before being saved as (in my case .dds files DXT5 format). I've learned a little bit more about repainting which is good! Anyhow here she is, the flagship of Orcasaurus Airlines, G-BIFT: "To Cover the World, You Need Big Units!" Dang, she's definitely a big unit :blink: :tongue: :biggrin:

2018-1-21_23-11-22-874.jpg

2018-1-21_23-15-31-534.jpg

2018-1-21_23-16-7-244.jpg

Credits for the mascot go to Jonathan Picking AKA Weebl, and the animator Kreid. Here's a catchy tune of his which is quite fitting for G-BIFT :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq80f7jR3Qo

• Upvote 6

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thank you! I still have a long way to go regarding learning paint.net :happy: Black is hard to paint if you still want panel lines and details to be visible, hence my experiment on the fin & rudder.

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I am trying to learn repainting also so I'm hoping to be at your level before the turn of the century.

Mario Di Lauro

GBIFT!  Hah love it, nice paint!  I did a few for the realair legacy and they took me forever...  never again lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I tried to get into painting. I didn't have the time I needed to complete them.

Grats to you!!!! Looks good!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Congratulations...great job   now London Heathrow to San Diego direct!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

Might just have to do that, Dan! :biggrin:

Thanks guys!

Mark Robinson

Looks good Mark!

A whale is what she is...and you've painted her to match her species hehe.

Painting can be a part of this hobby all to itself (much like any other obsessive part, like getting detailed AI which I'm just now starting to dip into).  The good part about it is that you can share your work to let others enjoy your hard work...that is a very satisfying feeling trust me. :wink:

I've painted with Paint Shop Pro for the last 16 years and it's never failed me.  It can easily open PSDs and is just as powerful with every tool it has...and I've seen it at Walmart for $32.  If you ever want to get into painting, its a good tool to work with.

I won't lie... there is a significant learning curve, but there are good tutorials out there and the best teacher is good ole' doin' it again and again and learning each time.  It took me 3 months to paint my 1st one I published (An Austrian MD80), but as I progressed on to each new paint I learned as I went and it of course got easier.

Hope you continue and explore other models and liveries...one's you've always wanted to paint but didn't have a clue.  That is where every painter started I guarantee that! :biggrin:

The one thing you'll hear universally from anyone who's turned out a few paints is you have to become one with layers.  Once you get them down and learn all the cool ways you can use them you'll be on your way.

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks Steve. I used a couple of layers in this repaint and skimmed a couple of tutorials via youtube. I'll go and ask some questions in the painters  forum I think (or try and search it!). Incidentally paint.net has a plug in which opens psd files.:cool:

Mark Robinson

OMG! :ohmy:  At that size it should have been a Gray Whale, ha!  Nice job.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit