Sign in to follow this  
Deadbug

Do you need a 4K monitor with gsync using Nvidia 1080TI?

Looking for some expert help....

Re my situation (pls see my newbie post):

I've taken a big step forward and have my new system in the works and expect to have it within 9-12 days:
X-6 - THE XIDAX X-6
Motherboard ASROCK Z370 KILLER SLI AC
Intel® Six Core™ i7-8700K Processor
DDR4 3200MHz G.SKILL Trident Z- 32GB
Corsair CX750M Semi-Modular Power Supply
12X BD-RW Combo
MSI GTX 1080Ti GAMING X (NVidia chipset)
XIDAX Performance NVME M.2 512GB SSD
Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
Premium Red LED Fans
Xidax 570LX CPU Cooler
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit
$2900 out the door w/free shipping

Now I need to find a 4K UHD 32" monitor (to be used on my son's desktop).  I've searched through the hardware forums and I wound up with more questions/less answers and now completely uncertain about the best choice for us.  I had initially settled on an ASUS and Acer monitors in the $4-500 range until I came upon a forum thread (thank you!) that mentioned that gsync and freesync are not cross-compatible.  That meant with my NVidia chipset, I couldn't use a 4K monitor that had freesync...and could only use the gsync feature.  So now if I look for monitors in that size that have gsync, I'm up near $800-1,000 or more.

Do I really need to have a "sync" capability in the 4K monitor I choose?  (I have decided to install P3Dv4 AND X-Plane 11)

Your advice is appreciated...

Bill

You absolutely do not need these sync features. I sim on a 65 inch samsung TV that has neither and have used many monitors before it that did not have it. These sync features are mainly aimed at users who play fast paced action games but for flight simulator, nope.

Just focus on getting a good monitor that you like.

NO. I sim on a $500 50" Vizio 4K TV.  A 4K TV is the way to go. Better bang for your buck

I got this model after other people here at avsim recommended it. Runs awesome.  vizio d50u-d1

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I think its also important to run 4k at 30hrz.  Any higher and you could experience micro stutters. Search the forums as there has been lots of question asked about 4K and 30 v 60 hrz

Pete Richards

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

4 hours ago, Deadbug said:

Looking for some expert help....

Re my situation (pls see my newbie post):

I've taken a big step forward and have my new system in the works and expect to have it within 9-12 days:
X-6 - THE XIDAX X-6
Motherboard ASROCK Z370 KILLER SLI AC
Intel® Six Core™ i7-8700K Processor
DDR4 3200MHz G.SKILL Trident Z- 32GB
Corsair CX750M Semi-Modular Power Supply
12X BD-RW Combo
MSI GTX 1080Ti GAMING X (NVidia chipset)
XIDAX Performance NVME M.2 512GB SSD
Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
Premium Red LED Fans
Xidax 570LX CPU Cooler
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit
$2900 out the door w/free shipping

Now I need to find a 4K UHD 32" monitor (to be used on my son's desktop).  I've searched through the hardware forums and I wound up with more questions/less answers and now completely uncertain about the best choice for us.  I had initially settled on an ASUS and Acer monitors in the $4-500 range until I came upon a forum thread (thank you!) that mentioned that gsync and freesync are not cross-compatible.  That meant with my NVidia chipset, I couldn't use a 4K monitor that had freesync...and could only use the gsync feature.  So now if I look for monitors in that size that have gsync, I'm up near $800-1,000 or more.

Do I really need to have a "sync" capability in the 4K monitor I choose?  (I have decided to install P3Dv4 AND X-Plane 11)

Your advice is appreciated...

Bill

Sounds like a beast Bill! I am glad you decided on both XP11 and P3D. Both are terrific. Be sure to visit  x-plane.org  its the go to for everything XPlane. Avsim is mainly focused on MSFS & P3D

Pete Richards

Pete and Julietsierrappl, thanks for clearing that up.  Maybe I should have used the word “want” instead of “need” gsync.

Re the 30hz, I have been researching in several other forums in addition as Pete  mentioned; I mistakenly came away with the impression that I needed gsync or freesync to optimize the 4K monitor/tv experience at 30hz.

Bill

3 hours ago, Deadbug said:

I mistakenly came away with the impression that I needed gsync or freesync to optimize the 4K monitor/tv experience at 30hz.

It's worth noting that GSync monitors auto-switch to regular V-Sync if you drop below 30 FPS and so are not a particularly good buy if all you're using them for is flight simming at around that frame rate.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I have a Gigabyte 1070 NVidia card and an ACER  Predator 21:9 monitor using  Gsync. That combo works very well with FSX and P3DV4. I didn't consider a large TV because my Computer room is small.

I am reminded of the old Adage "You get what you pay for". Good luck with your decision.  

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

2 hours ago, yellowjack said:

I have a Gigabyte 1070 NVidia card and an ACER  Predator 21:9 monitor using  Gsync. That combo works very well with FSX and P3DV4. I didn't consider a large TV because my Computer room is small.

I am reminded of the old Adage "You get what you pay for". Good luck with your decision.  

Yup...I'm thinking far down the road; I may not need it now, but later, I might as the simulation s/w evolves.  I'm jumping in with both feet on a top-end gaming PC, why go cheep on the monitor, right?  As a matter of fact, it is that Acer Predator 32" with gsync on sale for $900 that I am about ready to pull the trigger on.  My son's room is small; his current monitor is 24".  Anything larger than 32" or so would be too big for his desk and the room.
Thanks,

Bill

There are monitors with adaptive sync cheaper than the Gsync but reported to work well with NVidia cards.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg