Sign in to follow this  
Wanthuyr Filho

How to extract the most from the 8700K

What do you guys recommend in terms of overclocking solely for P3D v4.1? I use it together with a 240 water cooler (four fans in push-pull config) and a Maximus X Hero with G.Skill 3600. I don't care about temperatures (as long as it's not throttling), noise, consumption, etc, just want the most sustainable performance.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you familiar with overclocking or is this your first go? It's a relatively simple endeavor provided you understand some basic concepts about how your CPU interacts with the BIOS. Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say "I don't care about temperatures." Once you get into high overclocks, you absolutely will care.

Have you run a stock benchmark yet to get a baseline for your system? 

I have my chip clocked to 5.0 at 1.26v with just the multiplier modified, and my temps hover at 65-68º over 9 hour long hauls. I can probably push it more, but 5.0 is plenty stable and sufficient to get great perf. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

I have mine at 4.9 with hyper threading enabled @ 1.248v

My temps are similar to Steve's numbers.

I'm sure I could run at 5.0 with a bit more voltage, but I got tired of tweaking and just wanted to fly.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

On most any i5 or i7, you'll get stable P3DV4 performance with third party airliner and payware airport scenery when you run at 4.3GHz or better.  I run an i7-4770K at 4.5GHz and it's a smooth as silk.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I just did a very moderate overclock to 4.7.  Still trying to work out if its stable the way I have it setup but the performance is great and I don't feel I need to push further especially since I did not de-lid.  I have good temps which was not the case when I pushed it a bit higher.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

You have all the ingredients to make a good OC recipe. K means OC in intel language, but you have to care about temperatures, low controlled temps means long live for your CPU. I would say you can get a 4.7 or 4.8 with no efforts and without messing with the voltage, just doing the old automatic tuning provided by the Mobo software, if you get good temps and a stable system with those speeds, i would stay still and leave it like that! Try to use some good benchmark softwares when messing with OC's to check your gains.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I've been running my i5-8600K at 4.8Ghz for a couple of weeks now. Highest temp I've seen so far is around 48C. I'm going to shoot for 4.9 next, but I'm air cooled at the moment and want to keep it sane. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

I've been running my i5-8600K at 4.8Ghz for a couple of weeks now. Highest temp I've seen so far is around 48C. I'm going to shoot for 4.9 next, but I'm air cooled at the moment and want to keep it sane. 

Which Board do you have?  What are your volts ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7

I used the overclocking guide from the link below. I started off with the voltage set to 1.28v as they had recommended, but I set the Vcore Loadline Calibration to "Turbo", and then started lowering Vcore .005v at a time and then testing. I think I currently have it set 1.235v or 1.24v. I'm at the office now. I'll update this later if I'm wrong.

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7

I used the overclocking guide from the link below. I started off with the voltage set to 1.28v as they had recommended, but I set the Vcore Loadline Calibration to "Turbo", and then started lowering Vcore .005v at a time and then testing. I think I currently have it set 1.235v or 1.24v. I'm at the office now. I'll update this later if I'm wrong.

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/

Ok cool. I have the same board but the 5.  I did it this way as well but did not want it to always be at high clock so used another method. My volts are also around 1.24 under load. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

Rats! I fired her up and took a look. Vcore is currently set to 1.27v. I remember now. Last weekend I was playing around with some of the settings and I got it to a non-bootable state, so I restored the first stable 4.8Ghz profile that I saved. I never went back and started lowering the voltage again. I'm pretty sure I had it down to 1.24-1.25ish and was stable before I jacked it up. 

I wish the edit button wouldn't disappear so quickly. I dropped vCore to 1.24v and everything is still stable. Temp is running between 37C and 40C. Ambient is 66 F, so roughly 17C. My CPU is running approximately the same temperature that I am. I think it's good. ;) 

Honestly, I might just stay at 4.8. FSX runs great like this, so I'm not sure its necessary. 

OK guys, thanks for the information! My previous rig had a 4770K running 4.5 GHz cooled by air (high temps, but always below throttling temps) and I had it for about 4 years. In reality I was expecting some tips regarding specific BIOS settings, like one core higher X MHz, or synchronized cores, etc, in short, the best strategies to obtain the best performance from P3D... Anyway I researched a little on the subject and found out that there's really nothing much complex compared to my previous setup. I was able to put the new rig at 5 GHz with not a single crash/BSoD/freeze, but the voltage is still higher than you guys reported in here, and the temps under load are indeed pretty high, still with a margin from throttling. As soon as I finish my current flight I'll try lowering the voltage in order to have lower temps, provided it won't affect stability.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

29 minutes ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

. I was able to put the new rig at 5 GHz with not a single crash/BSoD/freeze, but the voltage is still higher than you guys reported in here, and the temps under load are indeed pretty high, still with a margin from throttling. 

How high was the voltage?

And how high were the temps?

I'll be overclocking my 8700K in a few days, after I've finished installing stuff. Will be able to comment more then, but de8auer has a guide for you. With your board too. There aren't many with more overclocking experience.