Sign in to follow this  
kenos1223

Help me find this plane again!!

I hadn't flown the DR400 for a couple of years not because of any dislike of the aircraft or any inherent faults but simply because I am an addon aircraft addict and really have too many! However prompted by this thread I got it out and did a few flights and they reminded me what a nice little aircraft it is! Although Aerosoft first released this some years ago, it is very well modelled both inside and out with very good sounds and the flight dynamics seem appropriate (although never having flown one in the RW I am open to correction on this). The VC is very functional and all the systems, such as they are, perform well. It comes with an ADF and VOR (but no ILS, DME or autopilot) so flying it in the IFR conditions that existed this morning required me to brush up on my radio navigation techniques as I shot a few approaches using just VOR and NDB. These are always good procedures to practice as your skills can easily become rusty in these days of automation, although I admit a DME would have been useful. On top of that flying manual approaches in challenging IFR conditions are just plain fun!

Although the DR400 is familiar to us in Europe it may not be so familiar to our North American friends but I would encourage anyone who wants to get away from glass cockpits or try something a little different from the usual Cessna, Pipers and Beechcraft to consider this Aerosoft gem.

Bill