Sign in to follow this  
ols500

Colour bind, Failed the CAD test, only a 13yo please help.

With regards to this, since I work at the airport and my duties include towing and pushing out aeroplanes, starting their engines and such, I have to have a full-on CAA medical certificate, which lasts three years. When I went for my CAA medical about a month ago, I passed it okay, but when we were chatting, the doctor who was doing my CAA medical said that he had wanted to be a commercial pilot, but he had some sort of diabetes issue which prevented him from passing a medical to a standard required for commercial pilot. He was disappointed of course, but he works in aviation nonetheless and can still fly non-commercially (in fact his office was actually in the control tower at Barton Aerodrome and you can't really get an office for your job which is more at the heart of aviation than having an office literally in the control tower!). He is in fact in the process of gaining his PPL, but has put his training on hold over the winter whilst the weather was not so good for flying training, and it's worth bearing in mind that a doctor's salary is one where you will actually be able to afford to fly privately.

Now of course it is disappointing if you want to be a commercial pilot and can't pursue that because of a medical issue, but you should bear in mind that the doctor I mention above is an example of someone who shifted their goals somewhat and is still able to work in an important role in aviation and still fly privately whenever he so desires. 

Keep in mind that operating an airliner is a team effort and you absolutely could be part of that team. We all know that an airliner can't be operated by just one person, but there are very many more people than just those sat in the cockpit who enable an airliner to fly: Cabin Crew, TCOs, Engineers, Ramp Agents, Gate Staff, Marshallers, Refuellers, De-Icing Personnel, Snowplough Drivers, Airfield Operations, ATC, Airfield Security, Passenger Liaison, Caterers, Medical Staff, Servicing Personnel, Aircraft Cleaners, Maintenance Staff, Numerous Vehicle Drivers etc, etc. Without all these people, that airliner and its passengers or cargo is going nowhere, so these are all important roles.

For example, I am not the pilot of the airliners I work on, but if I do a walkaround inspection and am not happy that the aeroplane is good to go, it doesn't matter what the Captain says, that aeroplane is not even going to have its chocks removed, because I'm not going to push it out onto the taxiway, let alone allow the pilots to start up the engines, because its safety is my responsibility.

With regard to the CAD (Colour Assessment and Diagnosis) test, as far as I am aware, this is not the test that is currently used for the aviation medical, although it is being evaluated currently by the CAA as a possibility that they will use it. Results from the CAD test as opposed to the current testing method they use vary significantly, and it is thought that some people would fail the regular test and pass with the CAD test (and vice versa in some cases), but that overall, the categories for the CAD test are potentially a fairer way to appraise matters although as noted, this is still being evaluated for use in aviation as a testing method.

There is an interesting article about this here: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-05-approach-colour-vision.html

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

Might I recommend you read this about correcting color blindness:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601782/how-enchromas-glasses-correct-color-blindness/

Wao Ed, very nice find!

S.

Hi guys, thanks for the recent replies. I have taken up gliding! I am in training as a glider pilot and it is awesome, at least i can fly these little planes no matter what 🙂

• Like 1

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

3 hours ago, ols500 said:

Hi guys, thanks for the recent replies. I have taken up gliding! I am in training as a glider pilot and it is awesome, at least i can fly these little planes no matter what 🙂

That's great to hear. Gliding is a fantastic fun challenge and it will make you a very good pilot too. Keep your head turning to maintain a good lookout for other gliders, they can get pretty close to one another sometimes!

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Ha yes the lookout, all the instructors go on about the look out! 

5 years later update. In canada, holding an unrestricted class 1 medical after passing D-15 test. Currently working through my CPL. 

This has been a long road...

• Like 6

What a fantastic update !

well done indeed, it is a very hard and long road to travel even without of any medical complications to sort out, but you’ll do it and it’s worth it.

Motivation is the most important thing in this whole process, you’ve obviously got loads of that so you’ll do well.

I went from teenage flight simmer like yourself to real world 747 pilot in a little over 6 years , and had a lot of fun on the way. With motivation and the right choices at the right time the world is your oyster as they say.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

7 hours ago, ols500 said:

5 years later update. In canada, holding an unrestricted class 1 medical after passing D-15 test. Currently working through my CPL. 

This has been a long road...

Good for you 😉

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2