Sign in to follow this  
magn4861

System upgrade

Hello! 

I have been thinking about upgrading my computer for a long time. The problem is im only getting around 15 fps at EHAM(p3d V4.1) and it cant handle any dynamic lighting at anytime. Any of you guys, who can throw me in the right direction of what i should buy as an upgrade to my system?

Addons.

Envshade, orbx global, pmdg 777, Flytampa EHAM, Active sky v4 and GEX. Sliders mid-full

Current system.

Windows 10 64bit

Intel(r) Core(tm) i5-3470 CPU

@3.20GHz

8gb RAM

4gb geforce gtx 1050 ti

Thankyou!

I'd recommend a GPU upgrade, but unfortunately GPUs are currently selling at 2X above their retail price due to Cryptominers buying all the GPUs in an attempt to get rich with Bitcoin (early adopters being successful, later adopters not so much).  So the average 1080Ti is selling for about $1400+ US and even 1070's are 2.5X higher than retail prices.

So I'd wait for the madness to fade ... it will fade, just a matter of time ... Bitcoin has a problem around liquidity (cash), takes way too long to get paid for the computational power provided and Bitcoin value fluctuates wildly.

nVidia are trying to combat the problem but I'm not sure if they are helping or just making it more of a problem.

Cheers, Rob.

Friend of mine just order a 1080 directly from EVGA and it took less than a week to be notified when in stock and shipped. Best part is it was a regular price. So try the manufacture and sign up on the notify list and purchase directly from them.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Mother board and CPU. Your CPU is "End of Life", says iNTEL.

16 G RAM and a good SSD.

You may then find your 1050ti workable enough.

N99WB

I just upgraded from a 2500k to a 8700k.  This upgrade included a 370 motherboard, 16 gig of 3200 ram, and, a corsair 80i cpu cooler.  I keep my 980ti gpu.  My new system holds 60 fps in vr in most places with p3d settings above dense across the board.  Seattle fps is around 30 in vr.

I suggest you would see significant improvement by upgrading cpu, mb, and ram.  Get cpu liquid cooler to support cpu overclock.

Danny

Danny

I agree that upgrading you CPU, RAM and motherboard would give you the best improvement.

You can always update your GPU at some other point and, besides, yours is pretty darn good.

For sure, P3D is CPU bound compared to the GPU. My GPU rarely is above 40% load with sliders to the right.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I vote also for a mobo/cpu/ram it is an upgrade I hope to get by summer. I have a little better video card though, and I still suffer from dynamic lights. To help fps in dynamic lights use an in game setting of 4 or 8x msaa instead of ssaa

my goal is an 8700k, asus or gigabyte mobo that has nvme, and a 1gb nvme ssd, 16gb ram.

5 hours ago, RichieFly said:

I agree that upgrading you CPU, RAM and motherboard would give you the best improvement.

You can always update your GPU at some other point and, besides, yours is pretty darn good.

For sure, P3D is CPU bound compared to the GPU. My GPU rarely is above 40% load with sliders to the right.

Thanks guys

Richiefly, do you know any specific, reasonably budget CPU,RAM and mb?

Not Richiefly -but-

Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W Processor, GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 (WiFi AC) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

$399.98

Newegg Combo

A $20 mail in rebate is built into the price.

$1.99 4-7 day shipping and a free mouse pad.

Amazon has the parts for listed $500.00

However drop back to 7600K at Amazon:

Intel BX80677I57600K 7th Gen Core Desktop Processors & GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI LGA1151 Intel 2-Way ATX DDR4 Motherboard bundle

$350.86

Amazon Bundle

38 minutes ago, n99wb said:

Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz

The i5-8600k is a good processor but if you're on a budget take a look at the i3-8350k first. It's quad core (unlike previous i3 CPUs), significantly less expensive than the 8600k, has great single-core performance and is not difficult to overclock to 5GHz. See this review: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-core-i3-8350k-cpu,review-34095.html.  In most of the games tested the 8350k performance, at stock speed, was very close to the 8600k and when overclocked beat it in almost every game. The conclusion says "It's hard to beat an overclocked Core i3-8350K for gaming unless you have the cash for a pricier Core i5 or i7. In fact, the i3-8350K is surprisingly competitive with those more expensive Coffee Lake-based models if you spend some time overclocking. And Core i3-8350K destroys Kaby Lake in everything." The one drawback is that it needs the more expensive Z370 motherboard to get the most from it. However, you then have a system which could later be easily updated with an i7-8700k if you subsequently needed more cores.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

i´m also currently upgrading. 

Actualy i have purchased a 7900X which is pretested and runs 5 Ghz at 1.25 V and a board. 

The Problem is exactly es the colleagues state the Graphics Card. 

The only other option is to wait till the new generation (Ampere) arrives in March and hope that the prices go down then for 1080TI. 

Or you pay the extra price :(  

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Thanks guys, would it make any sense to only go with a new CPU? or should i do the hole package 

1 hour ago, magn4861 said:

Thanks guys, would it make any sense to only go with a new CPU? or should i do the hole package 

In some ways it depends what screen resolution you're planning to run at. If 1080p, then you'd probably get away with your 1050 Ti until GPU prices become more sensible.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, magn4861 said:

You can't really do just a CPU.  Your motherboard is at least 3 generation behind, your chip is 5 behind.

Your memory is DDR3; you'll have to buy DDR4 to work with the new CPU and motherboard.

Therefore:

CPU, motherboard, 16 gig memory and a good SSD.

You will also need a CPU fan as they aren't hardly supplied anymore.

N99WB

I haven't seen it asked yet, but what is your budget?  That would probably help us steer you in the right direction.  No budgetary concerns, do the whole shebang! I did for about $2300 and have a great machine and a 32" curved LED monitor.  If you have a very tight budget you could look at Rob's suggestion of a newer GPU.  If a mid-grade budget, look to do mobo, cpu, and ram.  etc.  Really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go ;)

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)